Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#671198 03/18/11 03:27 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Everyone:

While living in Orlando, Florida for 6 months for the temporary job I had - I noticed that the public schools there are promoting "online" classes.

Is this a new trend?

Your thoughts on this subject?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
I think online learning is becoming more and more available. Many people are in a job or life situation that makes attendance at a brick and mortar school almost impossible. I attend online, and have (in the past) attended brick and mortar schools. I do miss (somewhat) the face-to-face interaction. Discussion boards aren't the same, but they do "take the place" of classroom discussion. There is (for me anyway) no outside the classroom interaction with anyone. Hopefully that will be changing as time goes on and other needs are appropriately met.

I love attending online, with the above noted exception. I don't have to get dressed, I can "attend" any time day or night. Library accessibility is wonderful (all online). The only other change I would make is to make all the library books and articles available in an easy to transfer format for e-readers (books can be done but I'm not patient enough LOL).

I've attended online off and on for about 10 years and now have become a full-time online student. I love it@!!!!

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi sara1955:

I do understand about the "adult" online classes, these are for "children" classes.

I guess I am behind the times as I thought kids had time for school and had not responsibilities (lol).

Thanks for sharing smile

Gecko
Gecko
Some children learn well using online studies. These are good for the kids that have social issues (I would think) and for kids that learn well in a self-paced environment. Years ago, one of our local high schools had online learning, although at the time it was set up in a computer lab at school.

I know there are a number of jobs available for online instructors at the pre-college levels. One of my instructors was also a high school online instructor.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Even back when I was in high school - so that was 1982-1986 - they had computer based classes we could take. So I think it's something that's been around for a long time. I agree completely that it lets kids learn in a self paced environment. If they need to take their time with a topic, they aren't rushed to finish it in the hour that the class has available. They can go at their own pace and take the time they need.

Also if there's a class in something that the school doesn't have a teacher for - like Mandarin Chinese - the child can learn it anyway! A win-win!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I homeschool and there are a lot of classes online. Although more common are classes on DVD and CD. Most homeschoolers learn a language with Rosetta Stone. The need for a physical teacher is diminishing.

Last edited by Jeanne Egbosiuba Ukwendu; 04/05/11 10:51 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
One of the reasons for Florida promoting the online courses is the classes are simply overcrowded and they are trying to push the students somewhere else.

My daughter's Algebra II class has 46 students in it. The state mandate is for classes to have no more than 25 students, but the schools can't afford to hire new teachers. With the state cutting even more money of the education budget, I'm sure they will promote online learning even more.

My daughter will be taking advantage of the online courses over this summer by taking two classes.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I love the idea of online classes for kids. There have been several students of mine who would have benefited. They might have actually graduated if they could have gone online.

It is a good idea for the student to have access to a qualified teacher to help explain the things that they don't understand from the online explanations. I've found that Geometry is one of those courses that needs the adjunct teacher!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Yes, I totally understand about the "overcrowding" as I use to leave in Orlando, Florida (lol).

My only concern here is the fact that kids already spend so much time in front of a computer, adding more time is going to challenge "time management" - but it is workable if the kid wants to do it.

Thanks for the input - I am a whole lot smarter on this subject smile

With my ONLY child being 24, I am out of touch with some things that pertain to younger kids.

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.