logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#673921 03/30/11 12:01 PM
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Do you think you unconsciously avoid exercise because you think working out is vain or too self focused or because you're afraid that it will pull you away from your family, your religion or everything else that is more important in your life?

I was listening to this killer interview yesterday with Kevin Vost author of Fit for Eternal Life. Vost is a psychologist, former bodybuilder, and former atheist who talked about how bodybuilding pulled him away from his Catholic roots.

The interviewer asked if health, fitness and religion even go together and brought up a great point about how people who are religious and very family oriented often believe that focusing on the body is vain and too self focused.

Vost addressed this by saying that the purpose of exercise is function vs. form, in other words you workout to be healthy and useful to those around you vs. just to look good and feel good about yourself. I'm all about functional exercise but had not given much thought to what he said about being useful to people other than my immediate family.

Do you ever think about how taking care of your body by exercising and eating healthy would make you more functional and give you the energy to help more people?

I'm guessing not a whole lot of people view exercise from this perspective which is maybe why so many people hate it so much.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Here's a link to Dr. Kevin Vost's book in case anybody wants to check it out:

Fit for Eternal Life: A Christian Approach to Working Out...

I'm probably going to read this and write an article on it.

Last edited by ExerciseEditor; 03/30/11 12:08 PM.

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
I have never thought of exercise and good health to be at odds with my Christian belief. Self-centeredness is but that has nothing to do with whether I work out or not. It has to do with my own heart attitude and whether I focus my attention outwardly or inward.

Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Well I'm so happy to hear that. I have met tons of people who do feel those things don't go together. It's actually an issue many of my more family oriented clients deal with and my entire family who is very religious feels strongly against anything that promotes physical self improvement. One of my favorite things about Vost's interview is how he talked about how little time you really need to devote to your health and fitness each day to get amazing results. I go on and on about this all the time : ) 10 min. 20 min. 30 min. per day is all it takes.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.