Next Thread
Print Thread
#673790 03/29/11 05:43 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I've been knitting and crocheting "Angel Blankets" for the hospital for about 2 years. The Head Nurse asked me today about doing a type of gown for the little ones who don't make it home. I honestly don't know where to even begin looking for a pattern. I don't do much machine sewing. However, these would be good for me to gain some experience.

Here's the nurses description. I hope this makes sense to someone here. I'm still trying to work it through my brain.

It's a 2 piece assembly (back and front), basic shirt/gown in shape. The side seams under the arms are joined, however, the shoulders and sleeves are not. The top (i.e. neck/shoulders/sleeves) is open to slide the baby in. Then the front it lifted up and tied at the shoulders. The sleeves are closed up with either elastic, button, or ribbon

If anyone knows of a similar pattern, or perhaps one which could be easily modified, the information would be most graciously appreciated.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
J
Here is a link for one that might be adaptable: BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

J
J
OK, don''t know how to do the code. Hopefully someone will tell me how tto do it for future reference. I will try this: www dot carewear dot org backslash patterns backslash sew backslash images backslash kimono dot pdf

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
This one can be adapted to sew the bottom closed; leave the top shoulder and neckline open and sew ribbons on at the end of sleeves, shoulder, and neck opening. Sew under the arms and down the sides. The bottom can be stitched closed. Turn gown right side out and press seams. Lace can be added or omitted. Thin ribbon sewn on for ties at the top as shown below in my rough diagram. This can be made in any size needed.

I have made the above gown in the past for tiny babies and it is very easy. A simple bonnet can be made with a band of the same material, about 6 inches long and 4 inches wide, with ties. Cut two bands, sew them together, leaving one end open. Turn right side out and sew open end closed after turning in rough edges. Press seams flat. This is just wrapped over the baby's head and tied under the chin. It can be edged with delicate lace if desired.

A Burial Pouch is nice to put the baby in after dressing with the gown and bonnet:

Something Precious Burial Pouch
Burial Pouch

Another good site for ideas is:
Bundles of Love

A good source of material for these baby gowns is donated wedding dresses.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 04/04/11 10:09 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
There is an organization called Newborns in Need that has a number of patterns for preemie and stillborn babies.

Newborns in Need Pattern Page

Hope this helps.

Tammy

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks to everyone! Please accept my apologies for the delay, we've been at Pow-wow all week. Phyllis, your sketch is almost exactly the same as the one from the Head Nurse. I'm sure I can get measurements from the links provided.

Jilson, thanks for your link too. I'm always hesitant about links, so I leave off the www and just type in the website. It's easy to copy and paste. I don't know anything about "codes" either.

Combined with Tammy's link, I hoping to get started on this in the next few weeks. Thanks again!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia

Moderated by  Cheryl - Sewing Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.