#672250 03/23/11 08:38 AM
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I received an email from UPS this AM telling me that a package will be delivered within 7 days and has an attachment.

Snopes.com has an email hoax on there from UPS, FedEx, and USPS, saying that you were supposed to click on a link in the attachment and print out a form to bring to the company. When you click on the file, a virus attacks your computer.

I sent an email to UPS regarding the email I received today so am waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, do not open any emails from UPS, the Post Office, or FedEx without checking it out.

Here is a copy of the email I received:

United Parcel Service notificationWednesday, March 23, 2011 10:57 AM

From: "United Parcel Service" <infoiu@ups.com>Add sender to Contacts more
Message contains attachments1 File (6KB)
UPS notify.rar

Dear customer.

The parcel was sent your home address.
And it will arrive within 7 business day.

More information and the tracking number are attached in document below.

Thank you.
� 1994-2011 United Parcel Service of America, Inc

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
That is almost definitely a scam of one kind or another. I do a lot of shipping with UPS, USPS, and FedEx and every so often I get an email like that - always from UPS.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
In the past 10 days I have received this email, one from FedEx and 2 from Nacha - a legit bank transaction processing company. The email states an ACH transaction was declined by my bank.

I didn't check Snopes.com for the Nacha email, but called the company directly. They have a recording which plays when your call is connected stating this is a bogus email, despite looking very official. They instruct to delete it and NOT to click on any links.

Just another one to be on the look-out for. Hope this helps someone keep their computer safe.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
D
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
D
Good tip and thanks for the heads up, Vance! Another way you can almost always tell these scam emails from the real thing is the poor English. This one isn't as bad as some I've seen, but it does have mistakes. Did you ever see that guy Greg on "Intervention" that had fallen for $600,000 in Nigerian scam emails? (I wish *I* had $600K!!) Profitable business, sadly enough.

I can't recall ever receiving an email from the shipper when I've bought something online. Amazon, LeapFrog and WalMart email me with the shipping info, which is in the body of the email, not an attachment. Has anyone ever received a legitimate email similar to this at all from UPS or another shipper?

Last edited by DonnaCrimeEditor; 03/23/11 01:10 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Shippers (UPS, USPS, FedEx) will send out a notice with a tracking number for a shipment if the company shipping the package adds in the customer's email address. I do this all the time with my company since my software isn't integrated with the shipper's software.

I do receive shipment notices from the shippers when my vendors have shipped an order of supplies to me.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
D
Thanks, Jeanne! That info is always in the body of the email, isn't it?

I have email scams in the lineup for future articles. Just haven't gotten there yet but I'm always happy to have a dialogue about anything I haven't covered in the forum. Awareness is protection!

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
My husband has a phrase, he says, "Never trust anyone who writes with a lower case I." That seems to cover most spam emails we receive.

N
N
very similar to this one [url=http://ip-address-lookup-v4.com/lookup.php?ip=165.154.37.101]http://ip-address-lookup-v4.com/lookup.php?ip=165.154.37.101[/url] funniest example of spammers trying to get you to open an attachement was an email from &quot;FBI&quot; saying that there is a case opened against you and the details of it are in the attachement

Last edited by narutojr; 06/18/11 01:56 AM.
D
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
D
Originally Posted By: narutojr
funniest example of spammers trying to get you to open an attachement was an email from "FBI" saying that there is a case opened against you and the details of it are in the attachement

I know, right? Because the FBI always sends indictments or warrants via email. Silly scammers!

J
J
If people would just put as much effort into making an honest living as they do trying to take advantage of others the world would be a nicer place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.