Print Thread
#669828 03/13/11 07:17 PM
S
SWK Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Ok, I know a 5K doesn't seem like a big deal to most folks who run, but I'm fairly new to running (having only started about a year ago) and am more of a walk-run type person. I do about 3 miles on a treadmill a couple of times a week, alternating walking and running. However, I'm considering signing up for a 5K. It's actually a Dog Jog, so people will be trotting along with their pups. And "runners" say it's a non-competitive run. But I'm nervous about making a fool of myself due to my, uh, lack of speed. Has anyone experienced a small-town 5K--and if so, how competitive was it? (Basically, how worried should I be!?)

SWK
Sponsored Post Advertisement
SWK #669831 03/13/11 07:25 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
If people are running with their dogs, then I can't believe that it will be competitive. Most dogs do too much stopping to smell the bushes or the other dogs' butts!

In terms of thinking of trying a small-town 5K that is just people, I've never been to one where there are not some folks who are either walking the whole way or running and walking.

5K's are a nice distance. A goal to giving a bit of focus to your workout, but you don't have to be a "real runner" to complete a 5K.

If you are already covering 3 miles, even with the walking and running, you'll do fine.

So, how worried should you be? NOT AT ALL!!!

And honestly, I've never known the real runners to look down on those walking and running. My favorite quote comes from a "real runner" and he said, "No matter how slowly you covered the distance, you are ahead of the guy sitting on his sofa eating Twinkies!" So enjoy and be proud of yourself!

AnneE #669841 03/13/11 08:03 PM
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I came in last in the first 5K I ever ran, but I finished! You are never a fool if you go out and try something new. The next time you will do better, so however you finish in your first 5K it will give you a starting point to improve on in the next one.

Elephant
Elephant
A 5K for fun is pretty much all fun. The real hardcore athletes are too busy running longer harder races so don't worry about it too much.

Most important things to do to prepare is extend your sprint time during your walks. This will actually help you increase your speed. I have a free 6 week Interval Training Workout Plan that can help you with that.

Other things that can help you improve endurance so you can run at your desired speed the entire race are:

1. mobility exercises before your runs (this improves your stride)
2. stretching after your runs (prevents tight muscles that slow you down and pre-race injuries that are very common among ALL marathoners)
3. a clean healthy diet (key for efficient energy production)
4. the Tabata Protocol increases endurance big time

Last edited by ExerciseEditor; 03/14/11 10:13 AM.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

S
SWK Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Oh, all of you are right. I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Funny how I can be so secure in all areas of life, but when it comes to this, I'm nervous! I'll "just do it." smile Thanks for the encouragement!

SWK
SWK #671937 03/21/11 07:42 PM
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Great! Let us know how you did.

S
SWK Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Hey--So, the dog jog was a lot of fun! I think my puppy enjoyed it just as much, if not more, than I did! And I think she pulled me along--I ran my best time! We'll definitely do this again next year.

SWK
SWK #681253 04/25/11 12:45 PM
Elephant
Elephant
Awesome! So glad you tried it and liked it and that it motivated you to try it again. What your next fitness goal?

S
SWK Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Well, this is kind of boring, but I'd like to try a 5K without the pooch to see if I can improve even more! (Baby steps, you know?)

SWK
SWK #682594 04/30/11 12:09 PM
Elephant
Elephant
Not boring at all! Go for it. Like you said baby steps is what gets you hooked and exercising for life and for fun grin

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.