logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Just a bit of fun, but an interesting topic I found in Parade Magazine back in December. Once presumed the Neanderthals died out was found to be untrue. There had been interbreeding, and in fact found in some humans today. One of these humans is Ozzy Osbourne.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
LOL, that is so "funny"...

Thanks for making me chuckle today - I NEEDED IT smile

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
actually almost anyone of European or Middle-Eastern descent likely carries Neanderthal genes... which is a curse for those of us who are not so fond of our big honkin' Neanderthal noses! And BTW, Neanderthals had larger brains than modern humans... why they died out remains quite a mystery.

And please leave Ozzy alone... I kinda like him! wink

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Between 1% and 4% of the Eurasian human genome seems to come from Neanderthals.

The genomes of non-Africans (from Europe, China and New Guinea) are closer to the Neanderthal sequence than are those from Africa.

I found all this out, but I still can't find out WHAT a Neanderthal is?

Is it like being...English, Greek? And how can there be a sub species of human? I fully understand the link with Ozzy Osborne however!

Linda Heywood

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Linda,
I write and edit science articles for a living, and this subject often comes up. There is no agreement among scientists on Neanderthal's exact relationship to us - it was either a subspecies of Homo sapiens (our species) or a separate Homo species. However, any Homo species is considered human, such as the extinct Homo erectus or Homo habilis. There have been many species of humans over the past 2 million years or so... But only one now.
The reason that Neanderthal genes are concentrated among Europeans is that that is where they lived - in Europe and the Middle East, so that is where interbreeding occurred with modern-type humans, with whom they coexisted for thousands of years.

Amoeba
Amoeba
This is really interesting. I love pre-history and the evolutionary history of humans (and everything else as well).

Molly Carter
Attachment Parenting
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
It was thought that only two species of early humans had existed modern man and Neanderthals. Recently, a third species was discovered, mitochondrial DNA showed the existence of another ancient human Homo floresiensis. I love ancient history as well.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Linda, I had to laugh when I saw your post, I pondered the same thing. We're all human, all basically the same, but few people want to recognize this. We do however, grow up in different cultures, each have different parents, so this makes us wonderfully, and uniquely different. If it wasn't for this it would make for a boring world. I think social sites like Facebook might be the medium to finally bring world piece. We all get along just fine, we just don't need politicians running things wink

Though, there was at least three distinctly separate species of ancient humans. I have a sneaking feeling there is more than just evolution going on, and I am not thinking from a religious point of view.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Diana,
There have been several Homo (human) species, including H. habilis, H. rudolfensis, H. erectus, and H. sapiens (and H. neanderthalensis, if one considers Neanderthals a separate species). Homo floresiensis (the "hobbits" reported in 2004) may have just been an H. erectus with some type of disease that stunted its growth... there remains much disagreement on that matter.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
The trouble is, as fascinating as it is to learn the full true history of humans, I doubt if we will ever know. I truly wish, someone could invent a device where we could tune into anything we would like to know, and see history in full color from beginning to end. Some truths can be found in tests that are becoming more accurate. Where did the dinosaurs really go? Did Atlantis exist? How is it possible for several human species distinctly different from one another, all have evolved from the ape? For that matter, why didn't all apes evolve into humans? There are certainly more questions than answers. I kept my ponderings simple, but it is maddening to know I may never know the answers, maybe perhaps after physical death, then there may be clarity.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.