Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Quote:
Although I'm a little gal, so I couldn't do a whole lot of good anyway. The best I could hope to do is a short physical attack that allowed me just enough time to escape-don't know that that would help another person.

That's a sensible attitude to have, but even a short attack can have devastating effects. When I lived in Mexico City back in the '70s self defence skills were needed nearly every day and one of the first things I learned from the Bruce Tegner books was the hop out the way and stamp on the side of the knee. Highly effective and little effort required.

I soon found I could adapt it to help other sentient beings (usually animals) being attacked by groups by 'duck hunting'. That is moving in behind the group, and stamping on the top of the calm of the rearmost one, grab him under the jaw to stop any noise and the hair on the top of the head at the same time. Step back, rotating his head until his head nose was uppermost. Then move to the side at the same time releasing the hair and placing that hand on his forehead. Then 'fire' his head down at the pavement by straightening my arms in one move -like bouncing a basketball. Then move on and repeat until the rest of the group became aware of me

I once 'took out' four of a six strong gang before the last two realized what had happened, they decided the odds were not in their favour and ran off!

There are also martial arts such as Wing Chung which are designed around science rather than strength that are reasonably quick to learn and highly effective.

Last edited by Ninjahedgewych; 12/27/10 05:44 PM.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Rosie, what I would do because like you I used to live in the ghetto for 14 years up until January 2010 - call in stuff anonymously making sure to "block" my number as they have caller id on the 911 system. This way I could see the action through my blinds (making sure my apartment was in total darkness). The sad part is if we don't get involved, they will shoot you just because they can and may be aiming at someone else. I don't even trust the neighborhood watch they had, the apartment manager or the police. I ALWAYS did things on my own and other than my daughter and God, no one knew what I was doing. And God protected me - never got robbed or broken into the 14 years I was there. If the gang is not nipped, they move in more members and soon they OWN the complex. Sad, but true and I saw it over the years at that complex. But I would only concentrate on what was MY area, not into meddling or trying to be no hero. And with taking the city bus after my car got old, made it more "critical" for me to be able to come home and leave home safely. I ALWAYS said hello to EVERYONE, not trying to be friends, but I used this to watch and observe. I stopped hanging outside on my porch as things got really bad as the years went by. Again, due to people not getting involved and the gangs taking over. Stay safe Rosie smile You are doing what you need to be doing for you and that is what counts. There will be others like Ian who are BRAVER than we are. And I am glad there are folks like that. I just call in info (lol). I guess I am the "office support" and they are the "workers".....

Originally Posted By: skyhaven
After having my window shot at
And living where i do
I am more inclined to keep my shades down
I love how every one would get involved
I did
And at 63yrs old i can't run like i use to
Because the gangs here will chase you
And if they don't get you they will get some one in your family
I don't want to sound like a coward
But i learned the hard way
Now
I see nothing, Just keep my shades down

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 01/09/11 12:44 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Quote:
That is moving in behind the group, and stamping on the top of the calm

That last word should actually read 'calf' as in bottom half of the leg.

It is usually harder to stamp out crime on your own doorstep than when encountering it when outside your own area. There you do have to be discreet unless you have an edge such as diplomatic immunity, being co-ordinator of the Neighbourhood Watch, or something similar. Without that all you can do is observe and report anonymously - preferably using cut-outs such as "crimestoppers".

Last edited by Ninjahedgewych; 01/09/11 05:37 AM.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Ian:

I don't care what security I may get, even the White House can't protect the presidents if someone wants to hurt them (lol).

Some folks are mean't to get involved physically and some like me, anonymously. I love my life too much to risk it or be stressed out about which "security" person is not really one.

As usual, enjoy your feedback.

Angela smile

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I think I'd call the police from a safe distance, but here's what a LOL (little old lady, as Herb Caen used to call them in the San Francisco Chron) did.

LOL foils jewellery store robbery

She sees this gang smashing a jewellery store window with sledgehammers. But she's armed with a superior weapon: a handbag! She lays into them with the bag. Three of them try to escape in panic on a scooter and fall over. Whereupon she whacks them again.

A friend of mine commented "Notice none of the blokes approaches them until she's got them on the ground..."

V
V
Thanks for your suggestion ....

but without your help no one can help to any body

Edited to remove link to commercial website. Please review TOS re:external links here. Thanks, Donna

Last edited by DonnaCrimeEditor; 03/12/11 06:06 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.