logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
I've been doing a ton of research for an article on stress relief and listened to this funny video on Emotions by Eckhart Tolle author of The Power of Now, New Earth, and other books.

He made a killer point about how so many people are conditioned not to express bad emotions. They think it's wrong or bad or that they'll get out of control but expressing your emotions no matter what they are is normal. What's not normal is walking around like a Pollyana all the time. That's freaky weird (just my opinion).

The trick to expressing negative emotions like anger, despair, or sadness is to do it the right way. The E.T. video shows you how.

Do you cry, scream or hit stuff ever? Maybe you should consider it.

Last edited by ExerciseEditor; 03/11/11 11:41 AM.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
So true. Emotions are to be felt. It's all in how we express them. I personally don't hit things, but I have had moments when alone that a good scream, did wonders. It was such an unexpected release :-). Now, screaming at others is not the key, but go outside, by yourself, and scream as loud as you can.... See how good it feels.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
My therapist recommends buying cheap plates at goodwill so you can have something to smash. It's a good release. He also recommends breaking things on a plastic sheet or having a broom and dustbin ready for stress-free cleanup.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Yes, I recommend the plastic sheet, just to protect flooring and swiffers aid in collecting splinter particles.

Even w/out a therapist recommendations, at one point I had 4 dishes, each with a name on it.

The Gov., society, My ex-husband and in-laws. After I smashed them, my ex-husband, then came in and screamed, "ARE YOU CRAZY?????"

It was orgasmic. I said, "Not anymore..." I was good for 6 months!!!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Elleise, I love that. I like how you had names on them. Brilliant.

Destruction and creation are closely linked in some religions. Different ends of the continuum, both powerful and oddly similar.

Either can be used correctly or wrongly, if you think about it. It's not like one is good and the other is bad. I think it's important to keep in mind that as with a gun, it's what you do with it that matters.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
This will be a good exercise for me. I want to offer another point of view in a supportive way. I agree that these ideas are great! Screaming is far better than trying to swallow pain or emotions.

My thought is that this is a long continuum. Yes definitely if you are at the point of internal insane fury then it is far better to let it out somehow on an inanimate object vs trying to keep it inside. I agree with that wholeheartedly.

I would offer in addition to that thought that long term learning to hit / break things as a way to habitually release stress could sometimes cause trouble. That once you get over that hurdle that "stress should not be kept in" that it is worth it to keep working along that path towards finding better and better ways to manage it that do not involve having to have something nearby to break or hurt.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, I know you and i have discussed this before and we never reached d�tente on it. smile

When I made my list of poor and better coping mechanisms (because you and Jeanne had told me breaking things was bad) I put it on my *poor* coping list.

My therapist liked my list but suggested that breaking things was actually extremely therapeutic, as long as it's within one's control. In that case, nothing you value is being harmed, whether thing, self or other.

So I moved it to my *better* coping list. And I will say the two times I tried it really helped tremendously. It adjusted my mental state almost instantly.

Is it the best method of coping? That I would have to think about further. I don't think it's different than going for a run, taking tae kwon do, or sword fighting to release emotion. Destructive energy feels good, when harnessed properly.

Building a sand castle is fun. Kicking it to smithereens is also fun. smile

This is something that I always found to be a sore point with me in Star Wars. Even as a child, I was hoping the solution to the trilogy was going to be finding ways to incorporate the dark and light sides - realizing they both had their value. I was surprised they did not go there at all. It would have been more Jungian.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Jilly - definitely I agree that it is a far better option than many other options! Shades of grey smile

For me, I would never engage in sword class if I was upset or emotional. The chuck norris book I just reviewed explicitly talked about that. He said to never engage in that type of activity if you were in emotional turmoil. Another human is involved. You should have a clear calm mind.

To me running is quite different and I would gladly run or walk to help work through an emotion - those are suggestions that would work great for me! Thanks!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Don't forget kicking the sand castles. smile Making a thing of ephemeral beauty and then destroying it cathartically is one of the spiritual underpinnings of Navajo sand art.

I will continue to ponder this.

I think i see where you are saying that making a habit of breaking things and yelling could lead to choosing those behaviors more readily for milder coping situations? The slippery slope theory?

Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
LOL, "not anymore" that is funny!

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DebbieMandel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.