Print Thread
#664261 02/18/11 10:07 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi Judy
There is a quilting store/coffee shop for sale in our little town (outside Adelaide in South Australia). I wondered if you had some guidelines of things to look for. Turnover, Gross Profit, Net profit, staffing etc. Of course prices are different in Australia than the US... but here must be some general information and things I shoudl look for.

We have run a small business before and own part of a pizza store. I trained as a dressmaker and have continued with it as a hobby having done some quilting as well as lots of other handcrafts so it is an interest. kirkbridequilting.com.au is the web-site.

Felicity
Deafness
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hello Felicity, thanks for your email. I'm delighted to see you're an Aussie, as I am! I'm here in drenched Brissy! I don't really know anything about the business side of running a quilting business, but I can give you some food for thought from my experiences. I've worked in several patchwork businesses, throughout Australia, both as a staff member and tutor.

My first comment to make would be in all the time I've been associated with quilt shops, I've never met a quilt shop owner who gets any sewing or quilting done, once they've purchased the business. They never get the time to indulge in sewing for themselves. Most of the quilt shop owners I know (and I do know about a dozen) are often stressed to the ears, having to work long hours as it's cheaper for them to work behind the counter than to pay staff.

The second comment I'd make is that the coffee shop attached to the quilt shop is a super idea. One of the most successful quilt shops in Australia has a cafe/tea room under the same roof and it does very very well. That particular shop also has a lovely range of gifts for sale, so the three genres of quilting, light meals and gifts bring the customers in droves. They have about 12 staff working for them in any given week.

I would recommend that you get a business adviser to look over the business.

I wish you every success Felicity. Stay in touch and keep me posted. If you do go ahead, I'd love to come and visit your patchwork shop.

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Thanks Judie. I decided against it. Net Profit was only about $25K per annum. the owner wasn't taking a wage so the Net Profit had to pay the owner for 40 hours a week work plus any loan to buy the business. I would need more like $75k to cover living and loan repayments as my income is the only income in the household. I can earn more part-time working for other people. My son's Pizza Bar (we are part owners) does greater than that too.

Felicity
Deafness
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Oh and the Business was priced at $100K plus stock at value at $150K which we considered pretty high for a business giving an income of $25k per year.

Felicity
Deafness
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Wow, Felicity, that's one hunk of money for a business that only gives $25K per year. I think I could clean houses for more than that!

It's a wild dream for many of my quilting friends, you know, always surrounded by beautiful fabrics etc. But the reality can be far from the dream.

Keep in touch, hope all's well in SA.

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.