Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Due to increasing problems with my hands and wrists, when I need to type, I have been using an ergonomic keyboard by Microsoft, called the Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. This keyboard features a split keyboard design, with the two halves curved slightly. It also has a padded wrist rest. Using this keyboard does put less stress on my wrists.

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 Review

Do you have difficulty typing sometimes due to wrist strain? What solutions have you found that work for you?

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Jori

Thank you for an interesting and thoughtful article

I have used an ergonomic keyboard for years, and hadn't realised about the "6" being on the other side! Guess it shows I don't use numbers... (though in my job I do - I vary but I will sometimes use the number keypad to the right - I am always amazed at how fast some people can use that).

I like the Microsoft keyboard and it feels it gives good wrist support. I touch type and found I could adjust to it fairly easily. It takes up more space than a standard keyboard, but the benefits for me are great - good support. easier access tokeys etc.

I remember years ago (over 10, less than 15) attending an event about adapted/ergonomic equipment for people who found it difficult to use standard computers. They had some amazing designs at that time - I think some of them probably didn't do well enought to succeed. They also had earlier versions of Dragon there, and at that time i6 was felt that Dragon responded better to male/lower voices.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hello, Asha.

My typing instructor in high school was tough! She drilled into us the proper finger usage, and the "6" was supposed to be hit by the right hand.

Back then, typing class was on the IBM Selectric. We all thought that the backup key was so cool because it would erase what was just typed without having to use correction tape.

Just like typing has come a long way, I believe that Dragon has most likely improved in the past few years. It did not seem to have any problems recognizing my (female) voice.

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Jori when I learned typing they weren't so worried about the numbers, it was more about the letter keys. I learned as the crossover began to computers, so electric (and a residue of manual) typewriters. We did Information Technology that was so basic most kids now would laugh at it, but at the time it was new. And the computers we used were basic Amstrads.

One of the things that reminded me the other day how technology has come was giving a piano (keyboard!) lesson to someone who suggested getting a metronome app on his iphone. I realised I could check the metronome function on my electronic tuner for my clarsach... We both agreed that it was interesting that neither of us had considered getting a traditional metronome, because now there are other ways of keeping time...

Last edited by Asha - Scottish Culture; 03/04/11 08:30 PM.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Jori, Thanks for this helpful review. I'm really glad to see you can use it with your lap top. I'm having a really difficult time typing, just to send a quick email takes forever, between forgetting how to spell and my hands worsening from CMT. I too blamed it on the computer at first (I still thinks there's something wrong with my husband's computer) As I type the cursor seems to jump around. Good to know there's a solution. Thanks, Melinda

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Technology certainly has come a long way!

Melinda, you may be able to adjust the settings on your cursor to make it less "jumpy." For awhile, my cursor was too slow. I'd move it, and it would take a few seconds to catch up. I adjusted the speed, and now it is much better.

Jori Reijonen, Ph.D.
Neuromuscular Diseases

Moderated by  Jori-ND Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.