logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#667382 03/04/11 02:51 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I have a contract to write an article about interesting new studies in neuroscience (studies that have been published since June 2010). Does anyone have any suggestions for studies that I might discuss in this article? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Hello!

I haven't any suggestions at the moment, but I'll certainly keep my eyes and ears open for anything that might apply.

Come on folks, any suggestions out there. I know we have a lot of scholarly readers out there!

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Thank you, Deborah. So far, I've found a few potential studies that interest me. But I'm still looking for more ideas... Here are the ones I like the best so far:

1) Biologists Gain New Insights Into Brain Circuit Wiring
ScienceDaily (Feb. 14, 2011) � Neurobiologists at UC San Diego have discovered new ways by which nerves are guided to grow in highly directed ways to wire the brain during embryonic development.
Their finding, detailed in a paper in the February 15 issue of the journal Developmental Cell, provides a critical piece of understanding to the longstanding puzzle of how the human brain wires itself into the complex networks that underlie our behavior.....

2) Neuroscientists Find Memory Storage, Reactivation Process More Complex Than Previously Thought
ScienceDaily (Jan. 31, 2011) � The process we use to store memories is more complex than previously thought, New York University neuroscientists have found. Their research, which appears in the journal the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, underscores the challenges in addressing memory-related ailments, such as post-traumatic stress disorder.....

3) New Technique to See Neurons of the Deep Brain for Months at a Time
ScienceDaily (Jan. 17, 2011) � Travel just one millimeter inside the brain and you'll be stepping into the dark. Standard light microscopes don't allow researchers to look into the interior of the living brain, where memories are formed and diseases such as dementia and cancer can take their toll.
But Stanford scientists have devised a new method that not only lets them peer deep inside the brain to examine its neurons but also allows them to continue monitoring for months.
The technique promises to improve understanding of both the normal biology and diseased states of this hidden tissue....

4) Same Face May Look Male or Female, Depending on Where It Appears in a Person's Field of View
ScienceDaily (Nov. 28, 2010) � Neuroscientists at MIT and Harvard have made the surprising discovery that the brain sees some faces as male when they appear in one area of a person's field of view, but female when they appear in a different location.
The findings challenge a longstanding tenet of neuroscience -- that how the brain sees an object should not depend on where the object is located relative to the observer, says Arash Afraz, a postdoctoral associate at MIT's McGovern Institute for Brain Research and lead author of a new paper on the work....

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I saw these two on Science Daily today. One addresses Alzheimer's and one addresses obesity, both of which are problems in my family.

Liver, Not Brain, May Be Origin of Alzheimer�s Plaques
ScienceDaily (Mar. 3, 2011) � Unexpected results from a Scripps Research Institute and ModGene, LLC study could completely alter scientists' ideas about Alzheimer's disease -- pointing to the liver instead of the brain as the source of the "amyloid" that deposits as brain plaques associated with this devastating condition. The findings could offer a relatively simple approach for Alzheimer's prevention and treatment.

Potential Mechanisms for Future Anti-Obesity Drugs Identified
ScienceDaily (Mar. 4, 2011) � An interdisciplinary group of researchers at the University of Pennsylvania has, for the first time, identified the neurological and cellular signaling mechanisms that contribute to satiety -- the sensation of feeling full -- and the subsequent body-weight loss produced by drugs used to treat type 2 diabetes. More comprehensive knowledge of these mechanisms could form the basis for anti-obesity medications.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
thanks, D!
A smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.