Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
One of the questions in my ethics class which really upset a few of my classmates was about tainted money. Here's the gist of it. Let's say you worked at a restaurant and were paid really well to be the person who stands at the front desk. You get to buy jewelry and nice dinners out and so on. You even get a nice $10k bonus. But then you find out that there's a teen-kid-brothel in the basement and the reason you're being paid so well is that there's extra money from the abuse of these young girls.

Would you keep that bonus figuring "heck, you earned it, and money is money," or would you think the money was tainted and want to donate it to charity or something, maybe a teen-girl-helping charity?

Lisa

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Keeping strictly ethics in mind, I'd quit and return the money and run for my life. Keeping my morality and legalistics in mind, I'd call the cops and offer either stay to inform or run like a bat outta he double hockey sticks smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
LOL Sara I think I agree with you on the running away part smile

There were some students in the class who were literally upset that anyone could think money could be tainted. They thought it was incredibly stupid to feel that way. They thought all money was money and if they were given any money it was theirs to spend, period.

I wonder if maybe this is a cultural thing, that some families bring their kids up to grab and keep any money they can? The students in question seem to be in the US but they might come from a different cultural background.

I do certainly know people who are *frugal* - but they still care about where the money comes from. For example, my dad has a life insurance policy out on my brother because my brother has $40,000 in student loans that my dad signed for. If my brother dies the life insurance will cover the loans. The life insurance company was trying to force my dad to take out $200,000 in a policy. My dad was upset by this, because he didn't want to be profiting if his son died. That would have upset him greatly. He just wanted the loan covered and nothing else. So he worked hard to make sure the amount was just for the loan. To him that money would have been tainted and it would have upset him to have it and to spend it on himself.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I also think money is money.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That is interesting, so you can help me understand this better!

So in the restaurant scenario, you would have been content to keep and spend the money?

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
See my other post - i think i answered this in detail. smile

It really does upset me to discuss what I myself would do. I am too big and complicated a puzzle. I am boundless. I am infinite. Much better to talk about what i think someone else might do.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Good to know, thank you!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I'm still curious and maybe we can talk about this as a third person situation!

Let's say the Dalai Lama is approached by a man who wants to give him a personal gift of $10,000. The Dalai Lama is then informed by his advisors that this man runs a child trafficking ring and that this money is money he earned through the sales of those young girls.

Would it seem reasonable for the Dalai Lama not to want to keep that money himself to spend on himself - and instead donate to a support home that helps girls get off the street and find a new path in life? What would your thoughts on this third party situation be?

If you don't want to talk about it even in the third person that's fine too, I am trying to learn things but do not want to upset people as I do.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I think the Lama is an extreme example. He is an enlightened being. Also, i think there are Buddhist rules for such things and having a 'handbook' is always going to be useful in daily life situations.

Let's take this more real. Ok, let's use House. He'd keep the money and find something important to him to do with it, whatever that may be. If charity is important to him, then he will put it there. He'd probably never let anyone know it. Also, as a specialized doctor, he is far from broke.

But he also might take Wilson and himself to the Caribbean for a week of hedonistic gallivanting.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I had used the Dalai Lama to give a starting point to work with that is high - but if you feel he is bound by rules and therefore an invalid example let us choose a thoroughly Buddhist layperson who has no rules binding him. He simply chooses to live his life by general Buddhist philosophies and is serious about that attempt.

Would it seem reasonable if he chose to give the money over to charity?

I know many fairly poor people who deliberately choose to tithe 10% or more of their income to what they feel is a good cause, so I am not sure that income level factors heavily into this. But we can make him a man with little in his bank account and a break-even income, to ponder the possibilities.

Again I realize there is never any right or wrong. Ethics is not about absolutes. It is simply about possibilities. And again if it's upsetting to even talk about possibilities then it's OK to not do it (or to let someone else take up the conversation who doesn't mind doing it).

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/13/24 08:03 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/10/24 08:39 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/06/24 02:11 PM
Curiosity and Learning
by Angie - 04/06/24 09:56 AM
Easy to Sew Pillowcases
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/03/24 04:38 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/31/24 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.