logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
For the first time in over a century, the Umatilla tribes are hunting bison. There is an article on this at the following link: Back To Tradition

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 02/26/11 06:51 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
OP Offline
Wendy Tall One sent me a message about this article. Thank you so much, Wendy, for sharing this information.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Tiger
Tiger
Phyllis, what does bison taste like? Beef?

OP Offline
I do not know. I have never eaten it. I am thinking it may be similar to the taste of beef, maybe a little richer in taste.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 02/28/11 10:15 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I've made "Bison Burgers" with ground meat and they are delicious. There's very little fat in the meat and the recipe called for quite a few spices for flavor.

The ground meat has a similar texture to ground beef, but it's "heavier," a more dense meat. The vast majority of the beef on the market in the US is corn fed. The animals fatten quickly and produce a less dense meat. Cows are supposed to graze and the corn feed actually promotes ecoli in their digestive track. I've never eaten "free range" beef, so I don't know how that would compare to bison meat or commercially produced beef.

The ground Bison meat has a different taste than commercially produced beef, but it's not "gamey" or strong like some venison, and was pleasing to me. I've followed the recipe closely in the past. However, the next time I make bison burgers, I plan on reducing the spices a little. It's a Southwest recipe and I'm a Southern girl, not used to that much heat in my food.

Bison eat grass and gain size gradually. Their hooves somehow assist the field grasses in regeneration. I can't remember exactly how, but their presence is beneficial, unlike cattle which can tear up a field. With significantly less fat, trace minerals and nutrients from the field grass, and less impact on the land, bison meat is a healthier red meat option for both us and the environment.

Last edited by lcp012586; 02/28/11 11:58 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
OP Offline
LCP, thank you so much for this information. I would like to try the bison burger recipe if you do not mind sharing it. People I know who have tasted bison say they liked it.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
The restaurant chain is mostly 'east of the Mississippi' (locations in Montana & Colorado), but Ted's Montana Grill offers Bison burgers & steak.( Ted's Montana Grill ) My mouth just started salivating thinking of the Bison filet mignons I've had there. Just last July, had bison stew at the Buckhorn Exchange ( Buckhorn Exchange ) in Denver -- now there's a sight; it's Denver's original steakhouse & the walls are covered with taxidermy products. Lastly, The Fort in Morrison, Colorado also serves bison in their Old West fares. Find bison burgers at almost every Pow Wow & at Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian (I can walk over there for lunch on nice days). The local Ruby Tuesday restaurant lists bison burgers on their menu.

I will also atest that bison is not gamey tasting. It is not as 'marbled' with the fats found in beef and the favor is much more stimulating. Ranchers have cross-breed beef cattle with bison to produce the 'beefalo' - just to capture the bison flavor in a stock animal raised just for it's meat.

Even though I favor the American Bison as the creator's greatest animal, and the mascot of my alma mater, I look forward to the times I can order a bison burger or steak.

Last edited by Beetlemess; 02/28/11 01:26 PM.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks Beetlemess! I had forgotten about eating bison burgers at Ruby Tuesdays. They were good! Our Publix grocery store has ground bison occasionally, but it's quite expensive. I'm thinking it would be good in a sauce, soup or stew too.

Phyllis, I'll try to find that recipe and post it. I've been working on organizing and hope I finally have all my recipes in one spot. I'm fairly sure I found it on-line.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
About.com has a good spicy one in its Southern Food section. It calls for seasoned butter pat in the middle.

There is a simpler one at foodnetwork.com which includes bread crumbs for a binding agent. Bison is very lean and adding ingredients, like for a meatloaf, will help the burger patties not to crumble.

The one on simplyrecipes.com is also a good one, but then I'm partial to sage and include it in all I can.

The recipe I've previously used included mustard powder and hot sauce. I'll look for it.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
OP Offline
Ohhhh! you two are making me very HUNGRY!

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.