Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I love to go "junkin" at thrift, resale stores and flea markets! But I haven't made my "rounds" since before my daughter's wedding in November. I had to go into town yesterday and just couldn't stand the withdrawal symptons any longer!

I was good and only stopped by two, but certainly lucked up. Got a pair of Minnetonka ankle Moccasins for only $1. These have leather soles and the thick foam inserts. At Pow-wow on Friday night there is a trading blanket session that generally lasts until the wee hours of the morning. We've never participated, but are planning to in April. I already have a box of things from around the house to trade.

I bought the moccasins for that, they looked too big for me. Tried them on and they aren't nearly as big as I thought. Don't know if these will get traded or beaded for me.

The things I find here and there are amazing. Everything from a very large and unique Navajo Sand Painting, leather and beads, and an old brass Indian Head bank to moccasins and fabric for dance shawls, and sometimes a book or two.

I was able to identify the sand painting artist and he is active in one of the guilds. I'd love to someday talk with him and perhaps figure out how that fragile art piece got from Cuba, NM to the public market in downtown Charleston, SC.

My other best finds have been turquoise jewelry and 2 pieces of Navajo pottery. These are both signed by Freida Lee, Navajo and dated 2002. The trinket box and small vase are red pottery, with black and turquoise glazing, and etched in lovely a feather pattern. There was a 3rd piece, I gifted to a dear friend who was with me on that "junkin" trip. If anyone knows of Freida Lee, please share the information. How this set from Navajo land made it to Fernandina Beach, FL would be an interesting tale too.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I am envious. You are like my sisters, lcp. They can find the neatest bargains and most unexpected nice items for dirt cheap anywhere. I feel lucky if I find a bag of knotted yarns and floss.

I have two old sand paintings that are signed, but I cannot make out the signature (same sig on both). I will try to get a good picture of the signature and post it here to see if you or anyone recognizes it.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Post a picture of the sand painting too. I learned a little about this art form while I was trying to identify the artist of mine. The traditional patterns and designs used for ceremony are not allowed in artwork, they are sacred and protected.

The sand used for ceremony is all natural in color. For art pieces, some use artificially tinted sand, others prefer the natural. I have three smaller sand paintings by a different artist and these appear to have some tinted sand, but the large one (16" x 20")is all earth tones and appears to be natural sand.

I called several NA art associations, trying to find this artist, and had several ask me to describe the content in the piece. It's a rainbow Yei arched over three pots. When we finally figured out the name of the artist, the content was a verifying factor.

All of my pieces are on wood and signed on the back in pencil. The man who framed my large one traced the information and I used that for my search. It was really exciting to finally put the artist's name with the piece I had enjoyed and loved for over 10 years.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
lcp - here are the sand paintings:

Sand Painting 1

Signature Sand Painting 1

Sand Painting 2

Signature Sand Painting 2

The signature looks like it is topped with a bow and arrow on top. The arrow is pointing up and the bow is laying on it's back. I got these from my sister and she knows very little about them. She just said she thinks they are very old.

I just realized when I posted the images that the signatures are slightly different - yet both have a bow and arrow.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 03/03/11 03:08 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Those are beautiful! The tall vase in the second piece is the same pattern as my little Frieda Lee vase and trinket box. I've seen this basic pattern in so many Navajo pieces, it must be quite popular among their artists.

Both of these have much more detail than in my sand painting. Have you ever taken the back off the frames? There may be more information about the artist there. I love the signature, but can only make out the first 2 letters on the first one.

These were done by an accomplished artist. With the signatures done in sand, one would expect some variance. But it's also very unique. If I remember correctly, the two major art associations had profiles of artists on their websites. One was SWAIA, and that's where I found Ron Toledo. It would be worth some looking when you have a little time.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
One of the paintings (#1) had been taken out of it's frame and there is no artist information on the back. There is no covering on the back of either painting, and no other info, so I have no artist info except the signatures. The signatures are hard to read even in person. I took about 20 pics with my camera and could not get clear images.

I will look into the websites you recommend. Thanks for your help.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Now I feel really lacking in finding good "finds". My niece posted on FB that she found 100 hanks of seed beads for $15.00 at a garage sale.

A few months ago, my sister found a large box of glass beads, tons of beads in all sizes, colors, and shapes. She paid $5.00 for the whole box!

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 03/06/11 04:41 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OH MY! I'm not a morning person and therefore not a big garage sale person. But the more I watch Antiques Roadshow on PBS, the more I think I'd better learn to get up early at least 1 day a week.

On an episode a few weeks ago this lady had a pueblo pot a relative had found on the side of the road many years before. It was worth several thousand and gorgeous!

I have a few projects and a pow-wow to prepare for before I can start planning on garage sales. The downside is having cash on hand. All my regular thrift stores take my check and most take credit/debit cards too.

Maybe we'll have some good trades at the Trade Blanket in April. I've almost filled one box of things to trade and haven't started digging too deeply yet.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
I think I will try and round up a lot of people for a trade gathering. Maybe I can find more beads and craft supplies. I will have to really think hard about what I can trade for items I want.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Do you have a Freecycle Group in your area? This is not akin to a Trading Blanket session, but I have seen trade offers posted in our local group. It's been a good source for free craft supplies for me and I've been able to help quite a few people with my unwanted left overs.

The website is freecycle.org
If there is one in your area, they generally require you to request membership. Be sure to include in your request that you were referred by a friend who has been a member for years in another area. Each group has a moderator/owner and its own rules, but they are pretty standard.

You can request an item(s) once a month. If someone responds to your request, they email you directly and arrangements for pickup/delivery are made. If you have something you would like to share, you can offer it and then select who receives it from your responses.

My latest Freecycle Finds are two packs of empty bath salt tubes in clear carrying cases with a zipper. Now that I've washed the "stink" out, these will be great for transporting beads. I also received a small toaster oven for the RV.

Freecycle can be a little frustrating, especially for new members. It can be the luck of the draw as to whether you get picked for something. It's easy to feel obligated to choose someone you have received something from as a payback of sorts. I face that issue this morning, but try my best to select new members for my offers when I can. The other frustrating aspect are the few members who respond, make arrangements for pick up, but never come. If reported, these people can be banned, however, I always give 3 or 4 chances. Life happens, and it usually happens to me, which make me more lenient than others might be.

In your area, there may be quite a few who have dabbled in traditional arts with left-overs and unfinished projects gathering dust. It's certainly worth joining and asking. You'd be amazed with the items I have received, everything from furniture to Tupperware, garden pots to a knitting machine and yarn.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.