Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#661859 02/09/11 04:12 PM
P
Panagea Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have an idea for a preschool series book but don't know where to start. Can someone help?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
A
I'd love to help! Tell me more. Have you started to write? Do you have a page written on the backstory of each character? What age range are the stories for? Do you have an outline for the plot of each book?

Best,
Annamaria

Annamaria Farbizio
Writing for Children
P
Panagea Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks! So, I have a degree in early childhood and have been working in the field for over 20 years. I am now caring for children in my home. I know there is something else out there for me and I know it has to do with children. I have this idea for a series geared towards toddler/preschool age. There is not much writing involved, the sentences are short and simple. The illustrations are the key but I don't draw! There is a plot and lots of characters that all have their own personlity. I stumbled across your site and I think it is a good omen. I don't know where to go from here. When you talk about an outline for the book, it is difficult because this is a simple plot for young children. Thanks for your help!

A
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
A
It's fabulous that you have a professional background in this area! It will be a tremendous asset as you market your work.

I'd write the first story and write some of the backstory character descriptions and a quick overview of the entire series including age range and number of books. Don't worry about the illustrations unless you are self publishing. Your publisher will assign an illustrator to your work.

Put together a brief cover letter explaining these highlights and your professional background. Include the quick overview and the first story. Use Children's Writers and Illustrators Market to find at least 10 publishers who might be interested in publishing your series. Then go to the bookstore and/or library and review recent published series. Send your package out to those you feel are the best match for your work.

I'd highly recommend your reading Nancy Sander's great book. See the link at the bottom of the article on business planning I posted this week.

Hope this helps!

Annamaria Farbizio
Writing for Children
P
Panagea Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks so much!

Moderated by  AM Farbizio, Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.