Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Ferrets
This is the beginning of an extensive series on the pet ferret. Ferrets are the third most popular pet. I think you will find this ferret series interesting and informative. Where did the domestic ferret originate? You may be surprised! Will eating grains, plants, or vegetables harm them?

Ferrets

Sponsored Post Advertisement
I am a converted ferret lover and have been nearly two years now. I have 3 ferrets of my own Ber, Rosie and Rene. They are the funniest creatures God created definatly. All 3 have so different personalities, Rene is the 'nipper' she would give you a nip round the ankles for sure, she's cheeky, Ber is just a lovely big boy, hes castrated, so he cant come into season, and i intend to get the 2 gills the jab when they come into season. I had thought about breeding one of the gills but then couldnt put one of them through it, my son told me how brutal the hob is when mating I just couldnt let them be put through that. Unfortunatly, the live in their own shed with outside runs attacted to it, they have loads of room and its all converted with play things and plenty of beds to choose from. Though I miss having Ber indoors, he lived the first year of his life indoors with us, perhaps sometime in the future I'll change things, I dont like to choose one to bring indoor permantly, wouldnt be fair to choose who comes in, cant see me having 3 in not with having a cat and 2 dogs also. Well thats my story, Im looking forward to reading yours now.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I had two ferrets in my time for my kids and we loved them. They were both great pets!

Tuculia Washington
Daughter's Editor

Tuculia Washington, Daughters Editor
Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I couldn't agree more about ferret's all having distinct personalities. One of my ferrets Cedramoon, is a sock thief, and it doesn't matter if your foot is in the sock or not. One the the strangest things I have seen, and I am on my third "set" of ferrets, is Cedra washing socks in the drinking water. Of course, she uses the cat's water not the ferrets water. She doesn't leave the socks in the water she just soaks them so that they are drenched, then drags them out and plays with them.

Stating sets of ferrets, means I have had two sets of 7, and now a set of three. This has been over many many years. Now I have of course Cedramoon, Quinn, and Missy. Missy just hit her 9th year and in the last couple months is showing increasing signs her life is drawing to a close. She is probably the most affectionate ferret. She loves to lay on my chest to be petted she will reach up to lick my chin, and she nozzles. How I love my ferrets.

Quinn is beautiful, though she likes to play a bit rough. We do have a great time together. She is also a prankster, and a great thief, though all ferrets are. She is a lot of fun. Though, if a remote control is left alone for a second, it is hers and we have to run her down to get it back.

There is two animals I'd never try to breed, that is the ferret and the skunk. I will leave it to the professionals. You are right it is highly stressful on ferrets.

If you are in a warm climate or keep them warm and safe outside (housed) as long as they get plenty of attention is not a bad thing. They do like a variety of beds and snugglies and fun toys. I rotate the toys each week when I sterilize their cage.

I thank you for sharing your story, it brought a big smile to my face.
Diana

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Tuculia, it is wonderful we share the love of ferrets. After our previous communication I had a feeling we shared a lot in common. No doubt they are great, funny, and sweet pets. I just can't imagine life without the demolition crew, my three stooges, which keeps life full of joy and entertainment!

Sassy my loving ferret recently passed away. Right now we dont have a ferret and miss the fun we had with her. What I learnt from having sassy is that I probably would not ever have just one ferret. She was so social that she craved constant companionship. Thankfully one of my kittens also felt the same way and spent much of her time with Sassy. I miss her but at this time not looking for another ferret.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I am sorry for your loss. I couldn't agree more that a ferret needs a companion, besides there is nothing more entertaining than a "business" of ferret. Anyone with a ferret or ferrets will know where the word for a group of ferrets came from, they certainly are busy! Getting another animal after losing one is a difficult decision. Turning 56 in a short while, and having pretty severe spine problems is making me take a second look, on not only what animals I have, but also how many. All my animals except for one is getting up there in years. I have plenty of serious decisions to make!

Comments are from Ferrets This is the beginning of an extensive series on the pet ferret. Ferrets are the third most popular pet. I think you will find this ferret series interesting and informative. Where did the domestic ferret originate? You may be surprised! Will eating grains, plants, or vegetables harm them?

Ferrets

I nearly had a disaster last week, I have the latest addition to our family, to stay over with us once a week, she's 6mths old and a wee darling her name is Chloe, well Ber my ferret was runnning around the kitchen, he gets the freedom of the kitchen and the hall and stairs, he just loves running up and down them, we play races up and down the stairs its much fun. Anyway, li'l Chloe was sitting in her car chair I hadnt gotten round to take her out of it as yet, we hadnt long got in, I had two of the older Grandkids that day also, just as well I had, I'd forgotten about Ber running around for a second, then I heard my older two shouting 'Granny Ber is biting the baby' well I ran straight over to her, Ber was bent over her seat and I grabbed him quickly well he sort of snapped at me but I think that was because I was taking him away from her, he thought her wee fingers were 'rubber' and he just loves and adores anything made of rubber, the remotes, the telephone keypad he had taken bits out of. I do believe he really thought her wee fingers were made of rubber as baby hands are so soft in a ferrets mind, well Ber's anyway, was sure thats what they were. He snapped at me because I was taking him away from what he thought was rubber and he wanted to have it. Praise be to God above, he never bit through her skin, I had got there as soon as he had, there was just a little line but unbroken praise God again, she screamed unconsolably, poor baby, but it was as much my fault for leaving her at floor level were Ber was running around free. It has leaned me a vital lesson, it could have been disasterous indeed. I will not have him in when Chloe comes to stay that one day and night with us every week. Ber wont normally bite, but if you put him up to your face he will try to on your lips or chin, he has got me on my lip but didnt lock on, and got my husbands chin again didnt lock on. We love him dearly hes only young at 2yrs old Ive had him since he was 5wks old. He's a big boy and castrated.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thank goodness you are diligent and someone was watching over the baby. They don't do things out of maliciousness. Like you said, thought it was a rubbery substance, like a toy. I can't stress enough supervising children and pets, both can hurt the other. I have a ferret that loves everything rubber too. The only times I have been bitten was trying to save animals that were injured or trapped. One got stuck in my friends dishwasher. When trying to remove her ferret I got a nasty bite. He was scared, injured, and only thought my hand was injuring him.

Small children and ANY pet don't belong together unsupervised, that includes cats, dogs, ferrets, any animal. Thank you for posting your story for others to realize potential disasters can strike.

such a great reminder that no pets and children should be left alone. Praise God no one was seriously hurt. I know that at times I forget this one thing that should be stamped on my mind. With my children being older (and hopefully wiser) it slips my mind that not all children were raised in homes where animals were present...even cats and dogs can hurts someone if feeling threatened and not all are taught how to behave around animals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.