Print Thread
#661677 02/09/11 02:37 AM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I have tried several classes with teachers and have yet to enjoy any as much as my DVDs.

My first ever yoga class was very aerobic. I could do it fine, and I got to try a lot of new poses, but I don't want to be leaping around and moving so fast. I am trying to get serenity from this, not a workout. I get my workouts elsewhere. I never went back to that class.

So my next class was okay. It was mostly older ladies on the floor of the library (in Crestline, when I lived there). It was basic yoga with all the beginner poses one would expect. I went to this one weekly and found it fine. Nothing special but not terrible.

The third different class I tried (last night) was a little absurd. If there is beginner yoga like my class above, this was Remedial Yoga. It was basically floor stretching for 75 minutes. The woman was very nice and she made a good ambiance, but it was barely yoga. For some reason the teacher kept saying how this class was a little harder than usual and that we did a great job. If that was the hard version, then what is her usual? Mountain pose and corpse?

There is a partner yoga class next week that I am interested in trying and I will see how it goes.

There is also a Chair Yoga class, but it's for people with mobility issues. I might try it just to experience it, but it will probably not be exciting.

I would like to try an advanced class, but it seems like all the advanced classes are 'power yoga' - which is not what I want at all. Like I said, I don't want to get a work out. I just want to learn new poses and breathe into them, to relax into the harder poses with my breath and not using the skeleton or muscles - to melt into the experience. I get this with my DVDs.

Maybe i am just hard to please? Or do other people have to futz around quite a bit to find the perfect yoga class/teacher?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
Maybe you just haven't found the right teacher -one who resonates with what you want to get out of yoga. I was lucky in that the woman who teaches at the local Y is really good. She puts some spiritual aspects into it and shows more advanced posture variations for those who want something more than basic.

I took an advanced class she gave at her home and it wasn't power yoga but actually more advanced just in the kind of postures and how long you hold them.

I do have some yoga cds and I use them if I can't get to class but I miss the meditative aspects of a CD and I tend not to stick to it for a full hour like I do in class.

I think there is a place for both classes and cd's, you just have to find a teacher and a cd workout that you personally enjoy.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It could be that it is a matter of the right teacher. I really like my DVD teachers, but i worked hard to find ones i liked. There are a lot of sucky yoga DVDs too.

J
Gecko
Gecko
J
I like both classes and cd's which offer a blend of meditation, warm up poses and some more difficult poses. My favorites are usually on a beach somewhere with voice overs, rather than a studio setting.

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
if i could turn back back time i would of took yoga up? i think it is a great way to fitness in mind and body. when i see some of these experts on tv and in magazines they are brimming with health, im too old now though to start anything like that now due to osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. yoga i would recommend it to all.

Last edited by SKYELAW; 02/11/11 04:44 PM.
B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
It depends on how old you are. I didn't start yoga until I was about 57 years old and it made a big difference in how I felt. There are people in my class who are in their 70's and they show progress all the time.

My yoga teacher said she taught one lady who was 80 and still saw progress for her as well.

I don't think it matters how old you are.

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
im 60 boomer but i have trapped nerves cramps and terrible arthritis, if i could do it i would? the physiotherapists at my hospital sent me away saying why did your g p send you to us we cant help you.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Try cutting out all the belladonna- deadly nightshade plants from your diet.

Tomatoes
Aubergines
Potatoes
Tobacco
Peppers
Capsicum (hot peppers) - substitute Cayenne Pepper

All nightshade plants will cause inflamed and painful joints in arthritis sufferers because of the toxic alkaloid chemicals which cause allergic reactions.

Linda Heywood

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I agree that people of all ages and all medical conditions can benefit from slow gradual introduction of yoga because a main point of yoga is that it helps your joints gently become more flexible. This is good for everyone!

Start slow. Go slow. It will help your body improve.

I enjoy DVDs but I also enjoy being in a room of people all relaxing together. I like the instructor being right there so I can ask questions and get advice. I agree the key is to find a class that's suited towards what you want.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.