Next Thread
Print Thread
#649644 12/14/10 08:11 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
As a child I used to be given a mashed up, boiled onion to eat when I had a cold. It was horrible, but as I recall it did help with the cold. My parents were born in the early years of the 20th century, so their parents were literally of the Victorian era. In those days, you didn't call for - and pay - the doctor if you didn't absolutely have to, so home remedies were used whenever possible.

Do go over to the Holistic Health site and read the latest article, which looks at some home remedies that we can still usefully follow today.

Do you use, or do you remember from childhood, any really effective remedies? Or any weird and wonderful ones?

Have a healthy week.

Grace

Grace Rostoker
Mystery Movies Editor

Mystery Movies Site
Mystery Movies Forum

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
joint pain can be eased with the natural juice from cherries? this is a good home remedy and also cheaper than buying glucosamine -chondroitin supplements in the form of cherry active concentrate, and capsules can be bought at most herbal outlets, or if you have a juicer at home you can make your own.

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
a good home remedy for arthritis is stinging nettles, these can be got in capsule form or taken in a soup with a veg stock cube and garlic. nettles have a natural anti inflamatory compound in them and help sufferers with urinary tract infections, they are also rich in iron.

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
hi grace - ive just read your article on holistic health and was impressed with it, i was pleased you wrote about flaxseed and its treatments with cancer ive been taking the oil for a few years because of colon problems, i got to know about it a long time ago after an oncologist professor shrunk tumours with it, i got a new bottle only today. foods we eat can cure almost anything if we eat the right ones. when i was young my mam used to give me raspberry vinegar and olive oil mixed together for sore throats, some of the top singers sip cherries liquidised with vinegar, i think one was tom jones i know it was a welsh singer, its supposed to stop laryngitis.

D
D
My father-in-law (born & raised in Sicily) shared a couple things with me: For a headache: Cut a potato in half and hold the cut end to your forehead. Sounds silly, but it actually helps! For a cut: Squeeze some fresh lemon juice onto it before bandaging (yes it stings). It will keep infection out...and speed up healing.

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
aloe vera can be grown easily at home and makes an excellent home remedy essential. it is used to treat burns and scalds and has uses against irritation of the skin. the juice or sap out of the leaves can save us a lot of money when used as a first aid requirement. an american marine in a south american jungle excercise had problems with one of his arms after nearly severing it in a fall from a high tree wherein he landed on rocks. the unit came to a village of natives and an old lady there dipped his arm into a large bowl and left it there for half an hour. she then dressed and put a splint like branch on his arm . it saved the marines life, one of the ingredients in the bowl was aloe vera, the sergeant asked the woman what else was in the bowl and offered her supplies for her village but she wouldnt disclose what the other plant was.

Moderated by  Teresa - Holistic Health 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.