#656957 01/18/11 01:10 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
A simple way to watch your weight and keep healthy is to drink soup. Keep some on hand in the refrigerator to zap in the microwave for quick lunches or snacks!

Three Diet Soups

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lori what an interesting article - I love the variety of your soups. Have you made them all yourself, and if so which one do you prefer?

I notice the cabbage and Japanese soups have sugar substitute , and wonder why they need sugar. I make light vegetable soups using many of the ingredients you mention for the cabbage one (depends what I've got in stock! - just noticed that was a good pun smile ) but I don't tend to put sugar in them - or, for that matter, Worcershire sauce.

I've never come across konnayaku before, and would be surprised if I can find it round here, but will ask around - it would be an interesting soup to try, very different to the pulse and/or vegetable based soups I normally make.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Good question about the sugar. I should have taken it out but I'm so used to adding a bit of sugar to offset the acidity in tomatoes and cabbage that I forgot these were supposed to be "diet" soups!

Well, just a bit of simple carbs can help with satiety and give a boost of energy, I suppose. When you're on a really lean, low-calorie diet, your body feels a bit of fatigue. At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :P

If you could find konnyaku or shirataki noodles, I would. Nearly zero calories, tons of fiber. I love it.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Soup is actually more filling and satisfying than a meal. If you take a meal, add a glass of water to it and liquidise it, it will keep you fuller than if you ate the same meal and drank a glass of water with it.

The liquidised food stays in the stomach longer than if you eat a meal and drink water with it. The water passes through the stomach leaving your stomach empty, were as it takes the soup longer to digest leaving you fuller for longer.

I am going to give these a go Lori.

Peace and hugs.

They tried this experiment on soldiers in the army and all the soldiers who ate the soup said they felt hungry much later than those who ate the meal and drank the water.

Linda Heywood

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Chi intresting comment about the sugar - habits come in so many forms... I have never used sugar to offset tomato acidity, but then I only came to like tomatoes as an adult. One of my favourite salads is ripe tomatoes chopped small with basil (dried) - mix and leave for several hours for the flavours to infuse. I sometimes add spring onion (scallions?).

Thanks also for the info about the noodles. Are they both non-wheat?

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Linda I hadn't realised that liquidising food helps you feel fuller. I enjoy soups and eat them constantly, but have not been into liquidising - I find I often lose individual flavours if I do this, and I enjoy chunks of vegetables. Yet thinking about it a lot of diet foods are liquid, eg SlimFast and the meal replacement regime used in Lighter Life.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I like chunky soups and silky soups. Just depends on my mood, I suppose. But to feel as though I'm eating a substantial meal, I do like to chew!

And yes, Asha, both noodles are wheat-free. The konnyaku type noodles or Shirataki noodles are practically zero calories and high in fiber. You can buy them online. Look for konjac products.

Moderated by  Tina - Living Simply 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.