logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Do you feed your bird seed? Do you not feed your birds seed? Share your opinion by answering the poll, and post to discuss.

Do You Feed Your Birds Seed?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 08/17/10 11:30 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Last edited by Melissa - Birds; 08/17/10 11:32 PM.

Melissa McIntyre
Birds @ BellaOnline
Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
OP Offline
M
My lovebird Sweetheart gets mostly fresh foods, with some pellets, and a little bit of fresh, human-grade seed. However, if the seed gets over 15% of her diet, she starts to gain weight. The seed I feed is mostly used in her foraging toys and as training rewards.

She gets Dr. Harvey's Colossal Cockatiel Mix, and some Dr Harvey's Our Best Parakeet Food. We use organic, human-grade hulled and chopped sunflower seeds as training rewards.

Melissa McIntyre
Birds @ BellaOnline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I have several rescued budgies, and make my own seed mix for them, mainly proso millet, canary seed, red millet, oat groats, with a selection of other brassica and lettuce seeds added. In addition, since I live on an organic truck farm, they have a lot of greens, plus fresh willow and sugar maple branches to chew the bark from, and about 6 different kinds of grass seed heads. In winter they get parsley, carrot tops, bell pepper, and birdie bread that I make for them which has dehydrated vegges ground up and mixed with egg in the shell. Oh, and they LOVE soaked wheat berries as a treat!

Cheryll Schuette
Bahá'í Site
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have a Rock Dove (posh name for a feral pigeon) who eats anything and two Rosa Bourke parakeets who love millet and sunflower seeds. I also feed them spinach, apples and sprouted seeds.

Linda Heywood

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I no longer have caged birds as pets but I love birds so I usually keep a baggie of mixed seeds in my purse to feed wild birds that I happen to meet.

A weird story: My daughter and I went to Disneyland and sat in a quiet place where we sat some sparrows looking for food. I got excited and pulled out my baggie of seed and sprinkled some their way. They hopped on over, looked at the seed and hopped away. My daughter thought it was hilarious and ironic because I kept forgetting to bring my seed when we went and the day I finally remember to bring it, they rejected it.

Why? These tubby birds preferred to eat buttered popcorn and french fries that the tourists left behind! sigh.

L
L
I have a lot of birds, Conure's, Ringneck's Plumhead's, Rainbow Lorikeet's, Cockatiel's and Budgie's. I breed and hand-rear the chicks which I sell to private individuals. The one thing I tell the new owners is. If you want your pet to live a long and healthy life, you must feed a well balanced diet. I feed a small amount of a variety of seed, which has pellets, dried fruit also added. My birds also get daily a selection of fresh fruit and vegetables, depending on the season. My Lorikeets also have fresh nectar mix daily.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
LOL Lori ungrateful fat birds, that made me laugh

Linda Heywood

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.