#655737 01/12/11 05:51 PM
T
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
T
What do you do to encourage or engage your children in doing their expected chores? & do a GREAT job? smile

Last edited by Tammy - Cleaning Editor; 01/12/11 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
What a great question! When we were young, chores were expected--demanded--and you avoided them at your peril. ha.

My sister's kids began to do chores at a very early age and they didn't care for it much but not doing them would result in some negative feedback, if you know what I mean.

Because I didn't like that type of motivation when I was young, I tried not to use it on my own children. I used the ol' Tom Sawyer trick of making it seem like fun so they wanted to get in on it. *wink*

And then, we made a game of it by "blitzing" the house to see how fast we could get it all done. We'd give ourselves only a certain amount of time to finish. But there was a big reward afterward like going out...or having friends over...or playing fun games in the clean, clear spaces.

Praise works best to give kids a sense of accomplishment and pride in their work. Also, it's important for them to enjoy a clean environment all the time so when things get messy or dirty, they don't like it and will clean up by themselves. Kids are adaptable and will get used to a messy home fairly quickly and won't see the need to straighten things up.

Older kids need different types of motivation. We divide up the chores now and everyone feels a sense of belonging because the whole family counts on each person to chip in and get the job done. Praise and appreciation are the best motivators for every age.

I don't like the idea of bribing or paying kids to be part of the family. Help out. Everyone benefits. The thought is that we keep a clean home for all of us to enjoy. smile

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
It's been a long time since I had little kids to train - two of my children are neatniks and one is like me, a clutter bug. I tried to keep the house in order when they were young - the kids had to put their toys away - but for the most part, I was trained! smile

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.