logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I am thinking about making some candles this year to stock up for the (next) winter months. Just simple household candles is what I will be making.

What are the basic tools/supplies I will be needing?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Your supplies will depend a lot on your personal preference. There are the basics, but so many different levels of those basics!

Thermometer - This is a must to monitor your temps for the pouring temp and to avoid the flash point. Most basic: a simple candy thermometer. I personally use a digital thermometer.

Double boiler/pouring pot: I create my own double boiler, a large pan with a metal cookie cutter in bottom. This elevates whatever you use to pour with out of the direct heat. When I first started dabbling in candlemaking I just used a plain old metal coffee can to melt and pour my wax in. I now have a pouring pot and love the handle! You could also use a glass measuring cup.

Those are your very basic tools. If you are using fragrance oils, I recommend a scale so you can properly weigh your oil. I recommend coloring chips if you are going to color your candles. Please do not use crayons. Crayons have ingredients that can actually clog your wick. You'll need wicks, I find the pre-tabbed, pre-waxed ones best. And of course you will need molds or containers.

I hope this helps, and if you need more info, just let me know!! Tomorrow I will be posting a general article about different waxes!

Shanda Lynn Markham
CANDLEMAKING
OP Offline
Thank you, Shanda. This helps a lot.

I once made household candles using empty toilet paper tubes. They worked great! The candles had a burn capacity of 16 hours. I did not have any real candle making supplies, just an old pot and ladle. I taped the bottom of the tubes shut with the wick secured, then secured the top of the wick with a bobby pin across the top of the tube. When the wax was set, I peeled off the tube and it came off really easy. I just do not want to hassle with a ladle again - that was not easy. Having a pouring pot will greatly help, and the thermometer, too.

The only fragrance I might use is lavender. Most other fragrances bother me.

Now I am excited to get started on this.

What would be the correct "pouring temp"?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Oh my goodness! How inventive, crafty and earth friendly!! Did you get a gloss on the candle? mottled appearance? I'm just really curious and I can see I'm going to have to do an article on thrifty candle making!! My article that posted today on types of wax gives the general pouring temps. Main thing to remember is please, do not let it go over 240 degrees, @ about 250 is the flash point. You will want to heat up up to the guidelines for the wax, then let it cool to below your scent flash point. When you reach that, add scent and pour. Adding the scent with the wax exceeding the flash point will not necessarily cause the EO or FO to burst into flames, but it can cause it to instantly evaporate out.

Shanda Lynn Markham
CANDLEMAKING
OP Offline
I did not get a gloss or mottled appearance. It was just flat white. I did, however, get a nice spiral line on the wax from the tube. When I taped the bottoms closed, I poured enough wax in plastic butter cups to set the tube in and anchor it. Then I slowly ladled in the wax. I must say they turned out rather good for my first attempt. I had no thermometer, so I think my success with the project back then was just a fluke!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
I wouldn't necessarily call it a fluke. Once the wax has melted it can actually rise in temp. rather quickly. If you've not added any additives, scents, coloring you can pour right away. You can also get all kinds of different appearances/textures by pouring at different temps. I never used a thermometer when I did "re-melts" (re-melting left over waxes)back in the day, nor did I make a big deal out of wicks. Most of the time I got candles that would burn good, sometimes not.

Shanda Lynn Markham
CANDLEMAKING

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.