Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#653052 01/01/11 05:56 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Everyone:

I know growing up in Jamaica, West Indies we did not have 24 hours TV and had to keep ourselves occupied to avoid dying from BOREDOM (lol).

And when I became a mom here in the USA I made a promise to my young daughter that I would pass along my craft skills to her - she knows how to crochet, knit and needlework.

What crafts did you do as a kid?

What crafts do your kids do now?

Do you think we are losing this SKILL with the availability of electronics? I think we have and it makes me sad. My grandmother taught me what I passed on to my daughter who will hopefully pass on to her children when she has some.

Thank you,
Angela

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 01/01/11 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Yes I do think a lot of homemaking skills are being lost. Whether it is "not enough time", technology, etc..

I used to sew - we took it in school and am glad I learned. I should really do more of it....besides I could always say that I wear nothing but designer originals - and I'm the designer...(LOL)

Let's face it - material and petterns cost less than most ready made clothing nowdays.

Knitting - I cannot seem to get the hang of. Crochet? I can make a wicked chain stitch and get some stiches together. I was makingh a slipcover for my couch and it was going well - then I lost patience and it stopped.

All young people should try their hand at arts, cooking, sewing, woodcrafts, etc. It is a great feeling of accomplishment in addition to making some useful items. It could also help them with ideas about their own business later on.

Last edited by Robin - Card Games Editor; 01/03/11 01:22 AM.

Robin Rounds Whittemore
Card Games Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Robin:

With the present economy, I am seeing more families going back to basics. Of course the kids don't appreciate this, but hey, times are hard and alot of folks are losing their homes.

Angela

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.