Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#647554 12/04/10 07:08 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Everyone:

I have heard that earwax or age can contribute to hearing loss?

What is your opinion?

Thank you smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi there
I'm pretty sure that earwax per se doesn't cause deafness. However, wax will prevent sound penetrating to the ear and give the symptoms of mild deafness. Perhaps if the wax is left in for a long time and infection occurs behind the wax this may affect hearing.

However, age is definitely the biggest cause of hearing loss. 1 in 6 people have a hearing loss of some kind (all ages). But this increases to 1 in 4 in people over age 50 and 3 in 4 for people aged over 75.

The kind of hearing loss is sensorineural which means the hair cells in the cochlea die away. A hearing aid only has limited capability to help because when the hair cells die, the connection from these cells to the hearing nerve is gone. So no matter how loud the sound you still can't hear it. Most often the high frequency cells die first so slowly all these sounds cannot be heard.

Regards Felicity

Felicity
Deafness
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Felicity:

Thanks for the info - much appreciated smile

I
I
Hi Angela My audiologist thinks that my hearing loss has been caused in part by listening to loud music when I was younger (I'm in my early 50's)in addition to the onset of early age-related hearing loss. I wear hearing aids in both ears but as Felicity says whilst hearing aids help they don't give me back normal hearing and I've learnt to lip-read (not very well) in the last 12 months to help to try and fill in the gaps in what I don't hear. My last haering tests in September this year showed that my deafness has got slightly worse so I'm starting to learn sign language before my hearing gets too bad. Regards ian

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi Ian
Glad to know you are taking steps to cope with your hearing loss further down the track. I also went and learned sign language.

Felicity
Deafness
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Ian & Felicity, thanks for sharing in response to my post. It is ALWAYS good to have feedback from other folks just in case you need it. I think my left ear keeps alot of wax that needs to be cleaned out regularly. Thank goodness I was not into loud music but my now 23 year old daughter is and I swear she is already losing her hearing (lol). Of course that could be "selective" hearing loss when mom is yelling smile Smart child, I would tune me out too.....

Have an AWESOME day/night smile

My now 3 yr old was born deaf...had hearing aids at 4 months old and now has a cochlear implant, lol I have heard just about every question imaginable when asked why he is hearing impaired. And some very opinionated stangers have not hesitated to let me know what they think about my decison to have the cochlear implant, whether they thought it was a good or bad choice.
Among the many things I have learned on my journey with my son, is that once the cochlea is damaged, there is no reversing it. And hearing aids, although very advanced in todays technology, are still simply amplification devices. They don't provide much assistance to those damaged hair in the cochlea. I am pretty sure that lots of ear wax cannot cause permanant hearing loss. and if the build up is really bad, you can see a doctor or audiologist who can flush out the hardened and built up wax.
The important thing is making sure not to let an ear infection go untreated, because if it becomes too severely infected hearing loss is a possibility!
Hope my ramblings helped! lol

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Meghann, yes your "ramblings" did help - thanks. I was told by the last emergency room doctor to use "hydrogen peroxide" to keep the ear clean and it does work. A couple of drops in each ear, then you lay down and let it "sizzle" - then clean it out with a rag. I even have my daughter doing it on her own - which surprised me as I thought she would stop once she left home. I am glad he told me when I asked. At age 52, I now ask "what can I do to avoid" whatever situation I am in (lol). Hey, so over those doctor bills which can be prevented if I knew how smile

Originally Posted By: Meghann-G/L relationships
My now 3 yr old was born deaf...had hearing aids at 4 months old and now has a cochlear implant, lol I have heard just about every question imaginable when asked why he is hearing impaired. And some very opinionated stangers have not hesitated to let me know what they think about my decison to have the cochlear implant, whether they thought it was a good or bad choice.
Among the many things I have learned on my journey with my son, is that once the cochlea is damaged, there is no reversing it. And hearing aids, although very advanced in todays technology, are still simply amplification devices. They don't provide much assistance to those damaged hair in the cochlea. I am pretty sure that lots of ear wax cannot cause permanant hearing loss. and if the build up is really bad, you can see a doctor or audiologist who can flush out the hardened and built up wax.
The important thing is making sure not to let an ear infection go untreated, because if it becomes too severely infected hearing loss is a possibility!
Hope my ramblings helped! lol

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 12/31/10 05:32 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Thanks Angela. I'm pleased things are going well with your son.

Felicity
Deafness
D
D
I've learned that using qtips can cause damage to ear drums if used too forcefully, yet sometimes i find that one's ears don't always clear up naturally as doctor's state they should and the get quite clogged. i continue to use qtips but i'm careful not to force it in too far or stop even with slightest resistance. Should i stop using qtips? sticking a kleenex in my ear doesn't clean it enough either, but i notice over time i've had to turn up the volume on things like tvs and radio. also just curious can skin infection partially in the ear but not in the ear cannal cause hearing loss if not treated early?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.