Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Everyone!

What are your thoughts on job searching while still employed?

Personally, I think it is wisdom to ALWAYS keep your options open just in case you do need a NEW job. Of course you need to be careful as you do not want your boss to know you are looking.

Thank you,
Angela

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I think it's fine. After all, most jobs are just jobs -- not careers. When you get a job, you're not promising to spend the rest of your life there.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Originally Posted By: daisybun
I think it's fine. After all, most jobs are just jobs -- not careers. When you get a job, you're not promising to spend the rest of your life there.

That's so true these days. Way back when, it was a different expectation. People took jobs they expected to stay in. We have a LOT of people that came to the library as their first job 25-30 years ago and have never left. These are the people that will be retiring within the next 2 years or so.

I believe it's ok to job search while you're employed, if there is a reason to job search. I always caution against blindly job hopping though, just to be changing jobs - it catches up with you after awhile when recruiters look at your resume - unless it shows a progression of increasing responsibility.
When I hire people these days, I don't expect them to stay with me forever. I ask that they give me their best and that they learn something while they are in their job so they can take the experience with them where ever they go.
I hired a administrative asst. as a payroll clerk, no payroll experience at all. I taught her HR basics and payroll, when she left after 3 years she was able to get a good job in HR. I was happy to watch her grow in the position and extremely pleased when she was able to get a good job when she left. We had talked about her leaving one day. I allowed her to interview during the workday so she didn't have to sneak and call out, it worked out well.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Dianne:

You are one in a million as alot of employers do not think like you do or treat their employees the way you do.

Thanks for sharing,
Angela

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi daisybun, yes times have changed and I have learn't to have "options" in life not just in job section. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post smile

Originally Posted By: daisybun

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Lol, I am constantly job searching while employed. I check all the internet writing sites I work for most days - in addition to all the other jobs I do. Quite often they will call for assignments that no-one has written to, but it's a hassle checking all the time. Nice when the writing jobs come in though - and it means you can continue working at all your current jobs. Here's who I write for on my freelance internet writing site:

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
BellaShorts, I just love your ZEST for life. I love reading your posts - I can see you are living a life that is fulfilling. Thanks for sharing with us. Angela

Originally Posted By: BellaShorts
Lol, I am constantly job searching while employed. I check all the internet writing sites I work for most days - in addition to all the other jobs I do. Quite often they will call for assignments that no-one has written to, but it's a hassle checking all the time. Nice when the writing jobs come in though - and it means you can continue working at all your current jobs. Here's who I write for on my freelance internet writing site:

M
M

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I'm currently employed but am looking for a new company. My job is ok it's the company I don't like and an trying to get away from them.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Thanks for the input smile

How do you HIDE the fact that you are looking? Hey, don't want to be shown the door before I have something else in place (lol).

T
T
You should always stay on the lookout for greater opportunities, but don't make abrupt moves. Sometimes stability with slightly lower pay may be best.

E
E
I think keeping your options open is a good idea. I personally can't stand my job right now, so I am looking. I go back and forth on what to do since there aren't many options due to hiring freezes (I work for the government), and I worry about getting in a job that is worse than the one I am in. But in general there is never harm in looking even if you are ok with what you are doing right now.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Thanks TopPicks & ErinDaBear for responding to my post smile

While employed, I have ALWAYS kept an eye open for something else but with today's "electronics" - have grown leery about doing this.

I know they say you can submit your info and they will supposedly keep it "confidential" - but my concern is that suppose this does not happen.

LOL, so there goes the job I have...

G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
Welcome Megl & thisiseasycash

Hi to everyone else, good to see that you are talking

I have been a little tied up but am loose now. Ha Ha

Angela, I never stop looking for a better job. I have always been that way my whole life. I am constantly looking to see what is being offered although I spent 15 years at my first job and then changed careers and have been in the same work for the past 15 years.

I would not hide anything just be discrete about how you are applying such as set up a seperate free e-mail to send and receive job related info. Do not put job related info on your facebook that fellow workers and employers can find.

What ideas can you come up with to seek better employment while working your current job?

Gwendolyn Thompson, Job Search Editor
Job Search Website
Job Search Forum

G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
Welcome TopPicks & ErinDaBear

Hi everyone else

Welcome to the beginning of Spring.

Also set up a seperate blog for job searching info to advertise yourself. Do not discuss your job searching info with co-workers.

It never hurts to keep updated on career info and the job market even when you have a job. You always want to be prepared to transfer your current skills to a more profitable career for your future.

Gone are the days when we hold one job for a life time career. Prepare for the future and change with the times including your career.

Last edited by Gwen - Job Search editor; 03/20/11 07:19 AM.

Job Search Website
Job Search Forum

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Gwen:

Thanks for the info and we are glad to have you back smile

G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
Thanks Angela

Food for thought:

I once "nickled and dimed", so to speek, one part-time employer against the other to see who would receive my services on a full time basis as I would have to leave one position. The ten cent raise wins... It took me two months to negotiate and the non winning employer got me to agree to continue part-time until I was replaced and after three months they still did not replace me and I had to submit another resignation with a termination date as I was exhausted from working 60 to 70 hours per week and juggling shifts.

As you can see it is always what is in the best interest of the employer not the employee. But either way ten cents is ten cents. The career was the same and the pay rate was the same. The difference was I get medical benefits and a ten cent raise if I play one against the other and it worked.

Always look to see what is being offered in your career area. You never know what opportunity you might have unless you are open for change and looking to see what is available.

Last edited by Gwen - Job Search editor; 03/20/11 07:42 AM.

Job Search Website
Job Search Forum

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Gwen:

Yes, I agree with what you are saying. The challenge I am finding is that it is an "employer's" market right now and they know it (lol).

For example, my only child (24, girl) just got fired from her first job which had no benefits. Even with her Bachelor's in IT, working on her Masters online she is so depressed over the job market.

I have suggested (trying not to NAG/lol) that she call the temporary agencies in her area (Orlando, Florida) instead of just filling out their "famous" online stuff. Gone are those days when this worked - hey, I was Queen of Temp Work when I was in my 20's - now 52. Back then I would sign up with as many as I could and whomever called first got me. And as they got to know me, the dollar figure went up. Ended up being stuck on a temp job for ONE YEAR and literally had to quit. LOL, they got attached to the "hard worker" and while it was fun at first, I got tired of the same boring routine. Yes, temping can be FUN and you can get to meet different people and learn new stuff.

Thanks for sharing smile

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Unless your job is in danger or where you work will close soon or it is a hell I would not do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dianne W - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.