logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
easterI have an interest in possibily getting into this type of career.

Anyone has any feedback on this career?

Thank you,

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I worked as a holistic healer for 15 years.

I have certificates and training in:

Massage Therapy
Homeopathy
Hypnotherapy
Flower Essences

I LOVED it. Basically I retired from massage therapy because it was starting to take it's toll on my hands, and I was getting busier with my public speaking and freelance writing.

The other stuff I was never busy enough at to support myself doing just one of them, but they were sure fantastic to combine.

It's really fun working with people, and I loved being able to help others.

What branch of alternative healing do you want to get into?

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Deanna:

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I was looking into the "hands off" route (lol).

And yes, I have heard about the "hands" being a problem with massagers.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
If I had my life to do over I would go to naturopathic post graduate shcool like they have in Phoenix, Seattle or Portland. They didn't have those schools when I was starting out. When you graduate you are a Naturopathic Medical Doctor and can work legally though license in 13 states.

You can make a good living with that degree and really help people. It gives you lots of options on how complex you want to get in your profession. The sky is the limit

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" John Lennon

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Arrow, wow, you have alot to offer - thank you smile

As a graduate from South Baylo University, I would highly recommend looking into their Masters program of Acupuncture. At one point I thought about becoming a massage therapist but I know about the toll your body goes through by making others feel better! Acupuncture is a scientific art which allows you to learn the ancient theory of medicine and SBU has a variety of students from different cultures. It is truly an amazing experience AND its in Southern California!!! Since I had to move from Michigan, it was the best time of my life. My career is amazing and I help so many people. I am truly blessed! Good luck to you and your future. -Stacy

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I have qualified in Massage, Reflexology, Counselling, and Hypnotherapy. The Massage came first in 1989 and I still practice today with little toll on my hands. I don't know if this is because I have a lower client level in this field as Portsmouth is a poor area, but I think that being trained to use the whole arm plus bodyweight has kept the injury rate down.

Lots of massage therapists seem to over-work the saddle joints of the thumbs, and use purely arm strength to do the treatment no wonder they only last five years or so! Also many psychotherapists neglect their own psychological health not having supervision, which should include counselling when necessary.

In any clinics I work in I always encourage my fellow therapists to set up mutual exchanges to experience each others therapy. Not only does it help keep them healthy but also they can cross-refer to each other if they feel the client will benefit.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger

Thanks Stacy & Ian for taking the time to respond. Awesome info - much appreciated. smile

[quote=Ninjahedgewych] I think that being trained to use the whole arm plus bodyweight has kept the injury rate down. Lots of massage therapists seem to over-work the saddle joints of the thumbs, and use purely arm strength to do the treatment no wonder they only last five years or so! [/quote] I totally agree with this. I am at school studying massage therapy, and one thing they constantly tell us is to not overuse your thumbs and to use proper body mechanics/posture. So far I haven't had any problems with my hands. I also have qualifications in Reiki as well.

Y
Y
I become a fan of acupuncture after I have done a couple of treatments at Nicholas SiebenBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by yanna; 10/17/11 01:55 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  AltmedVictoria 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.