logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Ok, no one LAUGH - but please tell me the difference between "holistic", "alternative" and "natural" health?

It is sad, but I had the impression they were all the same - no prescription drugs......

With them being on this forum as separate forums, I thought I would ask?

Thank you smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Angela,

I think this is a very good question! I see that no-one has yet weighed in with an answer, and I'm not surprised. There is a big overlap between these three descriptions - I think you could even say that they mean pretty much the same thing.

If I were forced to differentiate between them, I would say that Natural Health is mostly to do with organic living, with an emphasis on preventing disease through a healthy lifestyle.

Alternative Health is also about healthy living, with an emphasis on avoiding mainstream medicine wherever possible and seeking to prevent and treat disease by other means, such as homeopathy and other therapies.

Holistic Health also encompasses - you guessed it - a healthy lifestyle, and puts its emphasis on the interaction and interdependence of the body, mind and spirit; seeking to maintain health by striking a balance between the three aspects of the whole self.

My own view is that all of these lifestyle descriptions have the same goal - good health - and that within each there will be those who embrace the approach wholeheartedly and those who do the best they can without stressing about it. I belong to the latter group!

Whether or not to go with prescription medications is an individual choice, whatever your lifestyle. I would go for a natural remedy as my first port of call if I were unwell, but I would not hesitate to see the doctor and take medication if I felt I needed to. A natural life is fine, but antibiotics and effective pain relief are good too, when you need them.

This is just my personal opinion; I'm sure someone can clarify things much better than I have! Please come in and offer your views.

Grace

Grace Rostoker
Mystery Movies Editor

Mystery Movies Site
Mystery Movies Forum

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
I believe that the world is waking up to alternative medicine. I think that the term holistic simply refers to the whole being-mind-body-spirit because it takes the whole being to respond effectively and accomplish a total healing. Natural, I believe, just means without the use of unnatural or man made drugs. With a shortage of doctors, the possible horrific side effects of drugs and their effectiveness, natural cures and healthy living are becoming the norm in many families and it is about time!!!!!

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Thanks to both of you for the response smile

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I never cared for the term "holistic health" being that its root is Holy and brings a conotaation I think not helpful.

I prefer the word "wholistic Health" and it is what you see more in literature to infer encompassing the whole mind, body, spirit complex.

Alternative health is not necessarily natural health. It is what ever resides outside of conventional, AMA, state and pharmaceuticl condoned practice. Many therapies in alternative are not natural

Natural health could be a sub category of Alternative health.. natural health encompasses all medicines from a living source or that connects one to the living source, such as organics, vitamins, homepathy, diet, fasting, massage, meditation, yoga, water, air , light and has traditionally been within the realms of Naturopathic medicine.. traditionally I say. Naturopathic medicine is not all natural these days either and generally fits better under Alternative Health. Many naturopathic doctors are trained to and do prescribe drugs.

Last edited by Arrow - Stomach Issues; 12/13/10 04:25 PM.

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" John Lennon

Grace, You explained the differentiation perfectly!!! I've tried to explain these differences in the past and you did a great job!

Last edited by StacyPhD; 12/28/10 04:04 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Thank you StacyPhD, I appreciate that! I wasn't at all sure that I'd explained the differences properly, so it's good to know you agree.

Grace

Grace Rostoker
Mystery Movies Editor

Mystery Movies Site
Mystery Movies Forum

Amoeba
Amoeba
Wow, thank you for the great explanation. I am very pro holistic or "wholistic", natural, and alternative medicine; But it will be nice to have a grip on when to use which word. Thanks!

Moderated by  Teresa - Holistic Health 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.