Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
We now have two Amazon Kindle eBooks available.

PINOTAGE: Behind the Legends of South Africa's Own Wine

and

Roman Sunset

To convert your writing to Kindle format is pretty easy, but the information in the Kindle site is confusing and it was reading FAQs and posts by others on the Amazon DTP forums that answered my questions.

In theory you can just upload your document to Amazon and they�ll convert it. But you can�t check how the conversion works, so it�s best to add some extra steps

The basics are these.

1 � Copy your master document which is preferably in MS-Word. If you are using a recent version, save it as a Word 97-2003 document as the later versions give odd formatting problems.

2 � Remove headers footers and page numbers. If you have an index and/or table of contents, remove them. We�ll add a TOC later and as eBooks do not have �pages� they don�t have page numbers and so indexes are useless, instead readers can easily search the book for words and phrases.

3 - If you have chapter titles then make sure they are Header 1 in word, and sub headings 2, 3 etc

4 � Only have any page breaks between title, copyright, dedication etc pages, plus page breaks between chapters.

5 � Save the modified document as a Word 97-2003 document.

6 � Download & install the free program Mobipocket Creator 4.2 Publisher Edition from www.mobipocket.com

7 � Run Mobipocket Creator using your document as input. This will do the first part of the conversion by changing it to HTML � you can edit this from Mobipocket to make tweaks if you understand HTML. If you don�t know HTML just do one thing. Look near the very top of the HTML for the words Title and /Title which are each enclosed on angle brackets, and between them type your book title and author.

8 � Now click the Build icon. This will now produce an eBook. Any problems will be shown by error messages.

9 � If you have a Kindle copy the document to it using USB cable, otherwise download the free Kindle reader program from Amazon and use that to read your new eBook.

10 � When you are happy lets go back to Mobipocket Creator. Using the menu on the side add your cover image, construct a TOC and other details.

11 � Rebuild the eBook.

12 � When you are happy, save and upload to DTP.Amazon.com

13 � Two days later your eBook will be available for purchase

DISCLOSURE: As author one of the books I will financially benefit by should you buy the book, my partner will benefit from the other and if you buy after clicking on the links above I will also collect a small Amazon affiliate fee.

Last edited by Peter - Wine; 12/25/10 08:55 AM.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
You might also want to check out my step-by-step guide, Sell Your Book on Amazon!.

Cheers,
Maria

Moderated by  Laura - DTP/Ebooks 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.