Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
vincischool, christylynn81, minas, puumando, 2013
57214 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57215 Members
417 Forums
113008 Topics
801093 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 828
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 470
Beetlemess 305
Nancy Roussy 153
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 109
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 87
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 76
Sandra Investing/HFinance 45
Susan - Meditation Editor 44
Mona - Astronomy 39
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#650305 - 12/18/10 07:20 AM Why do you practice yoga?
Deborah - Yoga Editor Offline
Amoeba

Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado, US...
Hi Everyone!

I'm asking this question for a couple of reasons. First, I'd like the opportunity to get to know everyone a little better and second, I think it would be great to have a conversation about what it is that brought each of us to our practices. It's inspiring to hear others' stories!

So, why do you practice yoga? How were you first introduced? What is your favorite aspect of practicing yoga?

"If you desire a glorious future, transform the present. There is actually no other choice." -Patanjali

Add Why do you practice yoga? to Twitter Add Why do you practice yoga? to Facebook Add Why do you practice yoga? to MySpace Add Why do you practice yoga? to Del.icio.us Digg Why do you practice yoga? Add Why do you practice yoga? to Yahoo My Web Add Why do you practice yoga? to Google Bookmarks Add Why do you practice yoga? to Stumbleupon Add Why do you practice yoga? to Reddit
#650517 - 12/19/10 09:53 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

For me it is primarily stress relief. I work all day every day and my whole body gets tense from sitting in front of the computer typing all day long. It is hard for me to take a break from work - I feel like my todo list is always 100 pages long - but I know I *have* to or I will get sick and be unable to work. So I force myself to do yoga every few days, and it really does help me to be more efficient when I am working as a result. So it's "worth the investment".

Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Twitter Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Facebook Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to MySpace Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Why do you practice yoga? Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Reddit
#650519 - 12/19/10 10:01 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
I agree - stress relief. It also feels good.

Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Twitter Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Facebook Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to MySpace Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Why do you practice yoga? Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Why do you practice yoga? to Reddit
#650525 - 12/19/10 10:56 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Jilly]
Lori - Marriage Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Orange, CA USA
I'm fairly new to yoga but I love it so much. To me, it connects the mind, body and spirit. It is a form of physical meditation.

There are so many ways of exercising the body and muscles but yoga offers so much more that mere stress relief or muscle toning, to me at least.

I'm interested in all types of yoga, especially kundalini yoga.

BellaOnline.com Marriage
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Dreams editor
Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

#650538 - 12/19/10 11:17 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Lori - Marriage]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

I like flow yoga and basic hatha - holding the poses and relaxing into them.

#650540 - 12/19/10 11:39 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
Linda19 Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: England
I do not do Yoga as often as I should but I walk four dogs everyday and trying to fit 'exercise' or even 'relaxation' into my day is difficult.

Like Lisa I sit at the computer for most of the day so I get lower back pain. I have a very old Lynn Marshall - Wake Up to Yoga book and she recommends The Fish and The Cat for back ache.

But when I am in real pain there is nothing like finding an empty space on the floor and just lying in the corpse position, I have been known to fall asleep during this exercise.

Peace and God Bless

#650655 - 12/20/10 01:31 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Linda19]
Joan541 Offline
Gecko

Loc: Texas
My dad has arthritis in his hips and has had one hip replaced already. When I see him barely able to get around, I am determined to stick to my yoga classes to try and avoid the same fate as i get older.

I really want to maintain my flexibility as I age and doing yoga makes me feel so much better in mind, body and spirit.

#656846 - 01/18/11 06:45 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Joan541]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

I also have to admit that I enjoy messing around with inversions because they feel so good. I feel all bubbly and giggly - happy inside - when being upside down. They really do a nice job on my mental space.

#657777 - 01/21/11 03:00 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Jilly]
BoomerGal Offline
Parakeet

Loc: USA
I do yoga for flexibility.

I can really tell the difference in my joints when I do yoga on a regular basis. It also helps my breathing and stress levels but I love the way my body feels more balanced and loose after a good yoga workout.

#658799 - 01/27/11 07:35 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: BoomerGal]
AdventureGirl Offline

Loc: DC
I have been putting a lot of stress on my body just from everyday stuff and work so I need yoga to help me destress. Plus, I have lost a lot of my flexibility and I am just dying to get it back. I just started getting back into yoga and while it hasn't officially clicked with me, I think I am beginning to fall in love with it and am actually craving classes. I have ashtanga tonight and I'm excited! I try to do about 5 classes a week, but this week I will only make 3 because of the big snow storm in DC and not being able to practice.

Edited by AdventureGirl (01/27/11 07:35 PM)

#659295 - 01/29/11 06:34 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: AdventureGirl]
BellaOnline Editor

Dear AdventureGirl -

I know what you mean - I only began classes recently and I really look forward to them!

#664829 - 02/22/11 06:35 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: AdventureGirl]
Kaycee Will Offline
Shark

I am practicing Yoga from the past 4 years and I think I can bend on most of the Yoga Poses, but there is still a lot to learn.
I do yoga every morning for rejuvenating my senses and getting energized for my whole day work.
If some day I miss Yoga because of any reason I feel sleepy the whole day. So it's a very important part of my daily routine.

#682817 - 05/01/11 07:05 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: AdventureGirl]
Radhika12 Offline

The best thing is in yoga after practicing it it is very easy to do as a meditation.It can relax my mind and body.That's why I like it.

Edited by BellaOnline (06/30/11 12:57 AM)

#683271 - 05/03/11 12:06 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Radhika12]
Dace Offline

Yoga helps me balance my energy flow.

#683761 - 05/04/11 04:40 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Yoga clears my energy field like nothing else. I first began it in college almost 25 years ago (dating myself!) because I was having headaches, and someone recommended it, and it definitely helped. But from there I got interested in Buddhism and meditation, and that became my core practice, along with martial arts, do I didn't do yoga as much. Now the last 8 years or so, I am back into yoga (the martial arts got too hard on my body), and returning to it after years of chakra meditation and other energy practices I really began to realize the importance of it for clearing out the energetic 'gunk' that can collect on out subtle bodies...there is nothing else like it!
Blog: Mommy Mystic

#683768 - 05/04/11 04:55 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
ExerciseEditor Offline
Elephant

First time I tried it was to help with c-section recovery. Second time was to rehab hip flexor and back injuries.

These days I do it because it's fun, feels great, and helps me think more clearly.

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

#683784 - 05/04/11 05:47 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: ExerciseEditor]
AprilAlisaMarquette Offline
Shark

Loc: The South
Monica,

I love yoga for a couple of reasons. The stretching exercises are great. It helps me breathe better, and it really tones up the tushy!

#683788 - 05/04/11 06:15 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: AprilAlisaMarquette]
ExerciseEditor Offline
Elephant

True! I noticed the other day when I was showing my boyfriends kids some warrior stance tips that I was in the pose for nearly 10 minutes and I felt nothing. My legs and butt have way better endurance and overall tone because of yoga for sure smile

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

#683963 - 05/05/11 05:27 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: ExerciseEditor]
barney003 Offline

Look my friend. Yoga is the biggest healer of all. It relieves you from all the diseases and give you a new life. I makes you strong both mentally and physically. In all, It takes you to your inner self.

#694578 - 06/11/11 04:20 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
stefaniesunny Offline

My friend love yoga, sometimes I practice with her. She said yoga can make us young and keep elegant body. Yes, it also can bring me good mood.

#698713 - 06/29/11 06:22 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: AdventureGirl]
kelly0403 Offline

I practice yoga to attain mental well-being and also to get physical fittness

#698971 - 06/30/11 12:59 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: kelly0403]
BellaOnline Editor

It's great that yoga brings both physical strength and flexibility to our worlds smile

#699325 - 07/01/11 11:25 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
kelly0403 Offline

to attain mental peace

#700051 - 07/05/11 09:40 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: kelly0403]
Marina_J Offline

The practice of yoga and meditation has become increasingly popular in the past few years. I would like to give you good reasons why it would be a very worthwhile activity for you. Yoga and meditation will improve your health. Yoga and meditation will help you to overcome bad habits. Yoga and meditation will help you to lose weight. Yoga and meditation will bring you inner peace. Yoga and meditation will make you a wiser person.

#700670 - 07/08/11 12:40 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Marina_J]
BellaOnline Editor

Kelly -

I think peace is a great goal - we all deserve more peace in our lives!

#704661 - 07/30/11 04:06 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Marina_J Offline

The short answer is that yoga makes you feel better. Many people are initially attracted to yoga for the postures, thinking that practicing them will make them look better, which it can.You can also check local alternative newspapers or wellness magazines for listings or search online for "yoga" and the name of your town.

#724698 - 11/10/11 09:38 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
harryson9890 Offline

I practise yoga because yoga is best acne treatmen Acne treatment.

Edited by harryson9890 (11/10/11 09:42 AM)

#725227 - 11/13/11 02:34 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
BellaOnline Editor

Hmmm I have adult acne and I've not noticed any difference in the acne with doing yoga or not doing yoga. I do think in general that it's good to stay healthy and that a healthy body and healthy skin helps all of you to feel better.

#727207 - 11/23/11 01:00 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
Finbar Offline

Hi dear, I regularly do yoga practice because it is very effective exercise for the health. It prevents from a numbers of deceases and also reduces the stress and depression. It Loses the weight and keeps us fit.

#732241 - 12/20/11 02:11 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
BellaOnline Editor

Definitely I agree that yoga helps reduce stress!

#761334 - 05/07/12 07:07 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
Marina_J Offline

Good post.. Yoga is a good practice for relief and relax over the stress and it also help to make your body more flexible and attractive. And it increase the breathing level and after that you feel much better in mind, body and spirit. Thanks for haring this post.

#765091 - 05/29/12 03:42 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
Davidryan Offline

Well Yoga is the best exercise not only for maintaining fitness as well as relax your mind . It is also good for weight loss . So people having overweight issue must do yoga for losing weight . People who have sleeping disorder should also do this .

#765898 - 06/02/12 05:49 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Davidryan]
Davidryan Offline

[quote=Davidryan]Well Yoga is the best exercise not only for maintaining fitness as well as relax your mind . It is also good for . So people having overweight issue must do yoga for losing weight . People who have sleeping disorder should also do this . For more Information click here BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Edited by Davidryan (06/02/12 05:57 AM)

#765903 - 06/02/12 06:30 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
AKLisa- Knitting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
I feel really good, relaxed and like I have a good type of relaxed energy when I am done.

#766395 - 06/04/12 10:57 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
KayMichaud Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Hope I'm not too late to the party. I've been practicing yoga for about 7 years now. I don't know how anyone can go through life without it:) Ok Ok, maybe other exercises are fine too ;) I practice yoga because it helps me get re-centered and get back into my body, so to speak. I do yoga an hour a day, 3-4 times a week, for an and that is usually good to keep me feeling so alive and vibrant. ps. I'm glad to be here :)

#773701 - 07/18/12 12:22 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Davidryan]
Davidryan Offline

Well Yoga is the best exercise not only for maintaining fitness as well as relax your mind . It is also good for . So people having overweight issue must do yoga for losing weight . People who have sleeping disorder should also do this .

#783740 - 09/23/12 09:19 PM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
ancientflaxman Offline
Parakeet

Loc: in the middle of Minnesota
I practice yoga daily except moon days. It teaches me how to breathe correctly and it will lengthen my life.

#787828 - 10/15/12 07:03 AM Re: Why do you practice yoga? [Re: Deborah - Yoga Editor]
Aricktom Offline

First time I saw my neighbor doing a posture in which his whole body is balanced on head laugh then I tried at home and started loving yoga :)then I do 200 hour teacher training.

Edited by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames (10/27/12 12:08 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Hell's Kitchen
by Nancy Roussy
Reality TV
8 minutes 11 seconds ago
Hotel Hell
by Nancy Roussy
Reality TV
10 minutes 21 seconds ago
What exercise did you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Exercise
17 minutes 10 seconds ago
What's So Important about Good Deeds ?
by Cheryll - Bahá'í Life
Baha'i Faith
Today at 01:00 PM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 12:48 PM
Sandwich du jour
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Today at 10:22 AM
Halloween
by Lynne - ChristianLiving
Christian Living
Today at 10:20 AM
100 days of gratitude
by Lynne - ChristianLiving
Christian Living
Today at 10:11 AM
Fall Family Fun with Sandwiches
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Today at 09:21 AM
I Lost Almost Everything
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Today at 07:14 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Nancy Roussy), 133 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.