Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Star of Bethlehem is one of the loveliest symbols of Christmas. But what was it? Simply an inspired idea to emphasize the spiritual importance of the story? Or was it based on an actual astronomical happening?

What Was the Star of Bethlehem?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I read recently that an Australian astronomer worked out that the Star of Bethlehem was a major conjunction between Venus and Jupiter in which they were so close together they looked like one body. Oh, this also meant that the nativity occurred in June.

My take on this is in an article I wrote last year asking What Was the Star of Bethlehem? The Star of Bethlehem is one of the loveliest symbols of Christmas. But what was it? Simply an inspired idea to emphasize the spiritual importance of the story? Or was it based on an actual astronomical happening?

(No one knows.)

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I like the thought that it was the two planets so close together in sight.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Quote:

Peace on Earth, Good will to all.

Yes that's a great idea Mona, and thanks for a super article.

Wish I had known all of this when I used to drag my sons out to look at the stars etc. through our telescope����..often referred to a Ladybird book, which covered astronomy for children, to bolster up the little I knew. blush

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 12/13/11 01:28 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
The two planets so close to each other seems like it is magical to me. When miracles happen everything feels magical.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Parakeet
Parakeet
I don't think the Bethlehem star existed in nature. I think it was just a literary star.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
In the 17th century, Johannes Kepler said that the Star of Bethlehem was a nova. He thought that it was caused by planetary conjunctions. (In a planetary conjunction, two or more planets seem to be quite close together in the sky.)

But although Kepler worked out three laws that described the motion of the planets, it took another 150 years to work out the size of the Solar System. Two planets may appear to be close together due to our viewing angle, yet be hundreds of millions of miles apart.

A nova happens even farther away. It's a type of dead star re-igniting in a thermonuclear explosion. The nearest stars to us (besides the Sun) are some six trillion miles away and not affected by Solar System planets.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I found a lovely painting of a flower called the Star of Bethlehem. It's by Marianne North, a 19th century artist who traveled the world recording the plant life. Her wonderful paintings have a special gallery in the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, west of London.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Discovery news has a short discussion called Star of Bethlehem: Top 4 Celestial Suspects. It includes an image of each - three photos and an artwork. We don't have any photos of a nova. Here is a drawing and short explanation of what a nova is. (It isn't actually a "new star" - even though Tycho Brahe thought it was when he called the one he saw in 1606 "stella nova".)

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.