logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
If you are considering buying a dedicated eBook reader, check out this article before you by. It has a complete list of features to look for, so you can make an informed decision.

Features to Look for in an eBook Reader

--Maria

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Thanks, I was thinking about getting my daughter a Kindle or something!

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Great! I hope it was helpful. Is your daughter a child or grown? If she's young, I would definitely consider a color product, so she can enjoy the illustrations, but many adults prefer the B&W eInk's quality and the ability to read outside.

--Maria

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Chi-Japanese Food
Thanks, I was thinking about getting my daughter a Kindle or something!

There's a lot of competing devices around and few people get a chance to give them all a good test.

I was sceptical of them then I had a few minutes try of a friend�s (previous version) Kindle over lunch in a restaurant. It seemed intuitive to use and the screen was excellent, much better than a computer screen when reading.

Later I tried several times a Sony reader in a shop. That didn�t seem intuitive and it seemed slow.

Plus, the way they explained it, if I wanted to buy an eBook I�d get it on a CD, have to load the CD onto a computer and then copy it over to the reader, or take the reader to the book shop and they�d copy the book onto it. Hmm.

I buy most of my books from Amazon. I see one I like, click on it and a few days later the postman brings the package to my door.

With the Kindle now when I see a book I like on Amazon, I click on it and it is instantly downloaded to my Kindle and I can be reading it in minutes.

And, with a free software program I downloaded to my PC, I can convert any MS-Word or PDF document to eBook format and copy to the Kindle using the supplied USB cable.

To download books from Amazon to a Kindle you need to have connection. Amazon call it Whisper-net but actually that is using normal internet Wi-FI, so anywhere there is Wi-Fi you have access to you can use that. If you have the 3G you also have ability to use cell-phone network. Amazon has agreements to use cell-phone networks around the world.

I am going off for 5 weeks to a place where the only internet access I can get is by travelling to the nearest town and finding an internet cafe with Wi-Fi. So I have the 3G version and I�ll be able to download newspapers and books to my Kindle without moving from my accommodation. And there is no charge for using 3G!!

The screen is easy to read, imagine a book with clear white paper and sharp black print. There�s no glare, there�s no light shining in your face, anywhere you can read a book you can read your Kindle. It uses no power when you�re reading, just as you change pages.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Clearly, Peter is a convert to the world of digital reading! You'll especially find the long battery life helpful on your trip. My dad took a trip to Europe last year with his Nook and loved it, because he didn't have to lug all his books around with him, and didn't have to worry about finding compatible power sources.

--Maria

Moderated by  Laura - DTP/Ebooks 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.