logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Are there any sites that make recommendations based on what you like? I went out to dinner recently and had Tobin James Ballistic and really loved it. I liked it so much I went out and got a bottle right after dinner.

I would love to find more wines like the ones I like. Any places I can go other than some pricey wine shop to get good recommendations?

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
How about here?

Tobin James Ballistic is a (red) Zinfandel from Paso Robles in California. It retails from the winery at $18.

I love Zin for its upfront spicy berry flavours, and if that is what you liked about this wine then the first alternatives are other California Zins.

Ravenswood are a very reliable producer that makes Zins at many proce points, least expensive being their 'Vintners Blend' at around $8.

Moving away from Zinfandel, another red in the same flavour spectrum would be Shiraz, of which there are many at all price points, avoid the very cheapest and you should really enjoy them. Australia is making some great ones.

When you get tired of Zin and Shiraz go a bit further and try Petite Sirah from California and Malbec from Argentina.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Thanks Peter. I tried the Ravenswood (good but didn't thrill me like Ballistic). I've tried many Shiraz (mostly Australian) and loved most of the ones I've tried. My favorite is Wolf Blass.

I will definitely try the others you suggested and let you know what I sample. I did try Washington Hills Syrah last night and loved it.

Oh and I found a site that pops up awesome recommendations based on what you like. It's called snooth.com (it's kind of like itunes for wine).

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: ExerciseEditor

Oh and I found a site that pops up awesome recommendations based on what you like. It's called snooth.com (

Awesome indeed!!

For the Tobin James Zinfandel 2005 I clicked on 'Browse Similar' and selected USA wines and Snooth listed

Chateau Ste Michelle & Dr Loosen Riesling Eroica 2008
Chateau Ste. Michelle Cold Creek Vineyard Chardonnay 2007
J. Lohr Estates Riverstone Chardonnay 2005
Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2007
Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc 2005
Makers Mark Bourbon
and more

Good though these are, I cannot see that a selection of white wines and a whisky have any similarity to a red Zin!

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
I agree, no similarity at all but the really funny thing is I happen to love Makers Mark Bourbon and I'm a big chardonay drinker too so maybe these crazy computers are getting smarter and smarter.

I guess this is what web 3.0 is? I'll have to ask Jill. She seems to be up to date on this web trend.

R
R
I suggest you the most convenient way of selecting wine and that is online wine search in which you not need to find out each and every wine brand but you will get a wide list of wines according to the variety, year etc.

Moderated by  Peter - Wine 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 07:45 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.