Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kismet2 Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
In another thread, Meredith told us how during a frenzy of housework, her husband turned on a song and took her hand to whisk her away into a sweet dance. That made me think of all the simple, small acts that change our moods, our lives, our world.

What are some simple acts (of kindness, of love, of inspiration) that you've heard of or been a part of that have been life changing. Even if it changed your mood, it has changed your life if for only a few moments. Even a moment of life is sacred and important.

Sometimes, when I see someone doing a kindness for a stranger, it floods my heart with gratitude and joy. When a total stranger smiles at me, I feel a profound sense of connectedness to all of mankind. When I read about scientists who devote their lives to improving ours, I am thankful.

I'll pick up someone else's trash without judgment or complaint. Feed the birds on their way South for the winter. Say prayers of gratitude wherever I go for for others along the way. Open doors, lend a hand, share a laugh or uplift. I am happy to give even if it's what little I have.

Small and simple acts affect me deeply. I hope the small acts I do on behalf of others and for the world matter, too.

Can you suggest small simple acts we can do to help uplift others and make our world a better place?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Lori-LivingSimply
...Sometimes, when I see someone doing a kindness for a stranger, it floods my heart with gratitude and joy. When a total stranger smiles at me, I feel a profound sense of connectedness to all of mankind...
Hi Lori, your comment here about a stranger�s smile is interesting. There is a self development tip that if you smile at 3 strangers every day, your life will change significantly. But few people can pluck up the courage to do this on a regular basis. Yet when you are at the receiving end of a smile, look at how it makes you feel! (JOY)

kismet2 Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I always smile at people. It's natural for me because I have this inner knowing that we are friends who have forgotten that we are friends. We're all in this together...life. It's not easy for most of us so we need to help each other along and a smile from a stranger does so much to uplift me. It reminds me of the goodness in us all.

I wish I could hug every person I meet, but they might call the police. It's bad enough that I look loony smiling at people all the time! smile

Last edited by Lori-LivingSimply; 12/12/10 04:15 PM.
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Lori, in high school, I was known for smiling. In life, we have choices. We can choose to take the grumpy road that makes life miserable, or we can choose to be as happy as we can be at that point in our lives.

Haim Guinot has a poem that says that a teacher can change the life of a child by the way that teacher behaves. That's so true.

My mother gave me wonderful advice that changed my life. She told me not to marry until "you find one that you can't live without." It saved me from several potential bad marriages. I found a best friend and soul mate who has been my joy for over 30 years. You bet that changed my life.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Hi Connie. That is so wonderful. Wonderful advice, wonderful poem. And it feels good to know there are other smilers out there. smile

M
Shark
Shark
M
Lori, this is such an important discussion because it is truly the small acts that make the biggest differences. I love your comments here about smiling. I once had a teacher in college who told us that he smiled at a college student whom he saw while he walked to class everyday. This teacher didn't teach the student nor know the student, but smiled at him everyday. This student never smiled back, for a whole year, but always made eye contact with the teacher and saw the teacher's smile.

At the end of that school year, this student stopped the teacher and asked him, "Why do you smile at me everyday?" The teacher responded, "Because I am happy you are here." The student then shared with the teacher, "I had thought about killing myself at the beginning of the school year, but everyday that you smiled at me made me feel like I was worth something. So, everyday I went to class so I could see you smile again. Now, I feel happy that I am here too."

A smile is much more powerful than we could ever know!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Some people aren't natural smilers, for one reason or another. And I've been told, "Well, if I don't feel happy, I can't just fake a smile." But there is evidence that when you try to smile, that physical act has an effect on your emotional state. It is like "fake it until you make it."

But I don't feel as though I need to fake a smile. Even when I'm feeling low. All it takes is the exquisite fragrance of rose or a playful puppy...a giggling baby...a beautiful star-lit sky...and a smile from a stranger...and my face smiles.

Please share a smile. It is one sure way to spread your loving, caring energy to the world, one person at a time. A sincere smile carries positive, healing energy. Thank you to all the smilers who have uplifted me during dark times.

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I give compliments when I see something nice that catches my attention. I have yet to meet someone who didn't like being told that they are appreciated.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Thank you, Claybird. smile

One of the most basic human needs is to feel loved and appreciated. Everyone needs to feel significant...as though he or she matters.

And the truth of it is that everyone really does matter.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I will smile at anyone. People probably think I am mad but I do not care. A smile costs nothing and I may be the only person that day to have smiled at the old man walking down the road or the lady in the library. It makes someone feel part of the human race when another human smiles, a stranger especially, because sometimes this world can be a very lonely place to live if you are on your own.

Smile and the world smiles with you.

Peace and God Bless

Linda Heywood

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tina - Living Simply 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.