Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#648577 12/08/10 10:54 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger

Health benefits of walking

Sustained walking sessions for a minimum period of thirty to sixty minutes a day, five days a week, with the correct walking posture,reduces health risks and has various overall health benefits,such as reducing the chances of cancer, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, anxiety and depression. Life expectancy is also increased even for individuals suffering from obesity or high blood pressure. Walking also increases bone health, especially strengthening the hip bone, and lowering the more harmful bad low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and raises the more useful good high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.

Studies have found that walking can also prevent dementia and Alzheimer's.

Do you believe all of this information?

I do to a certain extent as I have seen improvement in my health due to my daily walking for pleasure. As far as the stuff like cholesterol - really can't say.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I hope it's true.

My only concern with daily walking for one hour+ is the effect on my feet! Can we overstress our feet?

Elephant
Elephant
Only if you have other pre-existing conditions. I've walked up and down one of my favorite trails (close to 8 hours of walking) a few times and it's no big deal. Your arches might get fatigued but that's about it.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Lori:

All things must be done in "moderation" (lol).

Base your walking on how your body reacts. Me personally, I can walk all day if the route is comfortable. Now that I am back home in Phenix City, Alabama - those hills are a challenge smile

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my post.

E
Amoeba
Amoeba
E
Walkers have less incidence of cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and other killer diseases. They live longer and get mental health and spiritual benefits.

Last edited by eranga; 10/25/11 06:59 AM.
I love my daily walks! They help we keep focus throughout the day. They provide me time. It is nice to get away from a machine even for a little while

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I love walking outdoors in nature more than walking on a treadmill in the gym. It's great for my spiritual and mental health as well as physical health.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
LOL, even though I have no choice but to walk to work, I still enjoy the sites. And the neat part about living in Columbus, Georgia are the trains. While living in Orlando,Florida I did not have hills, trains and so on. Now don't get me wrong, I do not appreciate it when one stays put on the train tracks and does not move for hours!!!! Yes folks, around here it is like the train folks do not care that one has to get to work. Now I have seen some BRAVE folks climb through the train, while it is tempting - I can just see me being dragged down the tracks by the train(lol). My boyfriend does pick me up from work, which I do appreciate as it is now getting dark earlier with the time change and it is getting colder. Yikes, they are talking about the 30's starting Thursday. Not to worry, I bought 3 sets of ladies thermal wear and cannot wait to wear them. The leaves are changing colors - awesome and they don't have much snow when it does come. Thank you Jesus!!! The last time I had to walk in snow was when I was 18, now 53 - so you figure how I would do if they had the major storms they have in St. Louis, Missouri & Chicago, Illinois. I remember those 2 years of being a flight attendant and having to keep cotton in my ears from my chronic head colds. But I am glad I got to live a dream I had as a child when I was an adult.

Happy walking everyone blush smile blush

E
Amoeba
Amoeba
E
A regular walking programme improves the quality of life. anything you do to improve your life, reduce stress and tension has to have positive overall health consequences. So yes i believe we can keep many of these diseases at bay by regular walking. It is the cheapest, easiest form of exercise.

Elizabeth Brennan
Walking
E
Amoeba
Amoeba
E
I have just found my password for logging in which had been missing for weeks and I couldn't remember it so I hope to become a regular poster from now on if I can

Elizabeth Brennan
Walking
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.