Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#647725 12/05/10 05:48 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Have you taken the time to trace your ancestors?

I have not, but my boyfriend at age 56 has started to do this as he feels the need to connect before everyone dies. My daughter is just 23, but is already doing this.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

We would love to hear them smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I along with my aunt started years ago and we went as far back to that I had a Duke in the family. I am from Wales but live in the states. We stopped a few years ago and I am wanting to get back into it now. Since moving to Florida, I've lost all my research. I'll have to see if my aunt still has hers. Any good sites that anyone could recommend? I've found a few but they want a fee, so for those that can't afford it is there a free site?

Karen Artino
BellaOnline.com/Tarot editor
Tarot Website
Tarot Forum
http://www.AnswersByTarot.com
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Karen:

I am also living in Florida at the moment, really belong in Alabama (lol).

Have you checked the public library?

They have alot of free databases available to anyone that has a library card.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
There are several free sites on line:

Genforum

Rootsweb

Genforum has surname and place databases and often people will assist you. Rootsweb has this type of database as well as county sites where people have donated information and it is posted online.

Good luck. What surnames are you working on?

J
J
Why does it appear that there seems to be allot of people who immigrated to the United States with a popular surname? Especially from England.

JY46 #664803 02/22/11 12:07 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
One reason is families traveled together. Also, if they had a long, hard or unfamiliar name at the port of immigration in US, they would either shorten the name or give them a name. Maybe they just gave out the same names a lot. Great question.

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
A
A

Arrowyn #672110 03/22/11 01:41 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Welcome and thanks for stopping by and sharing with US smile

Originally Posted By: Arrowyn
I apologize in advance for the lenth of this reply. I got on a roll. I�m new to this Community and I�ve just started reading the messages today. So, if any of the following information should be on a different forum, please let me know or move it to the proper place. Thanks.

I just started being interested in genealogy. My Dad is 95, with mostly a sound body, and still with a great mind. Both he and my Mom have been telling me stories about their families all my life and, while I thoroughly enjoyed hearing them, I wasn't interested in writing them down. I regret that I didn't do that before my Mom died, but at least I still have Dad's memories. He's thrilled at my interest, however late.

My best friend was researching her family long before there were computers to help. She also finds my family much more interesting than hers. Maybe that�s because her family were pioneers and mine were Eastern city dwellers, so she gets to research different things than she�s used to. Anyway, she volunteered to do the grunt work of finding the facts (she loves the hunt) if I would enter the data. Works for me! Since she�s a paid member of Ancestry.com, she created a tree for my family. I�m a free member and she set me up as an Editor on my tree so I could enter the data. This arrangement has worked out for us, but I�ve found that Ancestry has some limitations and unexpected glitches and gaps. My friend has researched genealogy sites through the years and is of the opinion that Ancestry has the most access to information that she wants, but I�ve read the opinions of other people who feel just as adamant about their favorite site.

Fortunately, I live in a city big enough to have a genealogy department in the library. It contains lots of information that isn�t available at some of the genealogy sites, unless you pay a fee.

In addition, there are LDS genealogy �offices� all over the U.S. with computers that have access to the main database of the massive storage area of genealogy that has been collected by the LDS. Ancestry.com was started by the LDS. The LDS main site will have the locaton of those offices. I�m sorry I don�t have their website link at my fingertips. Just Google something like �LDS genealogy� and you should get there.

When I�ve Googled a family surname (or full name), I�ve found many sites that are very specific, and not all of them require a fee. I�ve found sites for specific nationalities and sites that concentrate on adding and sharing information from grave markers (including volunteers and paid helpers that will go find that information for you if you don't live close by).

If there�s a historical society in the city where your (recent) ancestor lived, email or write them for information, maps, etc.

With a little work, you can find a host of free information out there.

Angie #682425 04/29/11 03:39 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi. Another GREAT resource is the Webinars that are becoming really popular. Some are FREE, while some have a fee. Here is the website to check it out.

GeneaWebinars

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Thanks Tina smile

I heard great things about Webinars...

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I've enjoyed the couple I have been able to tune into.

Angie #695544 06/14/11 11:08 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Good Angie. I am in AL for a genealogy conference. Work has put me behind in answering my emails. I appreciate your feedback. WEbinars are being discussed alot, so I think more of them will be out there, hopefully FREE ones.

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.