logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
In this day of some serious crime, how do you protect yourself?

Personally, I am scared of carrying a gun so try to stay ALERT to my surroundings. God has been good and I have never had crime in my life. I have witnessed it while living in the "ghetto or hood" - but never experienced it personally.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
When i go to the dumpster to throw out the trash
I always carry an OPEN STILETTO {knife}
It's open because i will use it

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Staying alert is the no. 1 way to minimise your chances of becoming a target for a criminal. As to your relationship with the Divine many people from all spiritual paths find that asking for, or envisioning, a guardian (such as a muscular Angel)or guardians to walk with you can make you appear to be with protective companions. This appears particulary effective if the persons targeting you are drug abusers as their habit can make them see slightly into underlying reality.

On the self defence front there are many excellent systems about taught by good instructors. I have already covered Aikido on my Pagan slot and plan to cover Wing Chung, Ninjutsu, and Escrima too. These clubs also do self defence and taster sessions too if memory serves.

On the self defence tools side guns are worth considering if you live in gun using area and it's legal to carry concealed. Most people don't like guns because there is no purely defensive way of using one also the noise and the complexity. They don't have to be big, a .22 is sufficient for self defence, but you have to practice with it more

These guys are a useful resource, but remember they want you to carry a gun and their 'hype'is designed around this

Consealed carry society

Canes are also popular since they are already in your hand and can be carried almost anywhere. This site has been around while and also promote it as an exercise tool too

Cane Masters

I'll leave it there for now, as this thread looks like it has 'legs' so will no doubt be back later on in the discussion

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
It's kind of an open base move/purse these days. Crime is abundant but doesn't neccessarily mean we need to live out of that fear on a minute by minute basis, BUT...If you can't come to terms w/the fact that times b a changin, you will most likely be hit at some point or another.

Mind your suroundings! Absolutely! If you haven't anything else, at least keep a key chain in your hand with one key up between your pointer and middle finger. Have or leave the fluffy...no I could never, and practice an elbow move, because you just might need that.

Last week I was handing out flyers and some guy jumped a balcony right in front of me. I know I shocked him and if he had been more confident, who knows what might have happened? I had a job to do, but had he approached me I had a knee move, elbow and a key waiting attached to a fist. That's just how it is. Complacentcy has its non-virtues, unfortunately.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 12/03/10 06:26 AM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Rosie, I am glad you do this. I used to do the same when I was still living in the "ghetto" - I don't care if it was daylight. I was not taking any chances smile

Originally Posted By: skyhaven
When i go to the dumpster to throw out the trash
I always carry an OPEN STILETTO {knife}
It's open because i will use it

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Wow Ian, thank you SO MUCH for this helpful info.

Originally Posted By: Ninjahedgewych
Staying alert is the no. 1 way to minimise your chances of becoming a target for a criminal. As to your relationship with the Divine many people from all spiritual paths find that asking for, or envisioning, a guardian (such as a muscular Angel)or guardians to walk with you can make you appear to be with protective companions. This appears particulary effective if the persons targeting you are drug abusers as their habit can make them see slightly into underlying reality.

On the self defence front there are many excellent systems about taught by good instructors. I have already covered Aikido on my Pagan slot and plan to cover Wing Chung, Ninjutsu, and Escrima too. These clubs also do self defence and taster sessions too if memory serves.

On the self defence tools side guns are worth considering if you live in gun using area and it's legal to carry concealed. Most people don't like guns because there is no purely defensive way of using one also the noise and the complexity. They don't have to be big, a .22 is sufficient for self defence, but you have to practice with it more

These guys are a useful resource, but remember they want you to carry a gun and their 'hype'is designed around this

Consealed carry society

Canes are also popular since they are already in your hand and can be carried almost anywhere. This site has been around while and also promote it as an exercise tool too

Cane Masters

I'll leave it there for now, as this thread looks like it has 'legs' so will no doubt be back later on in the discussion

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
YES, you are so right about the key Eleise.

I had read about that somewhere and made sure I did this.

Originally Posted By: Eleise - Clairvoyance
It's kind of an open base move/purse these days. Crime is abundant but doesn't neccessarily mean we need to live out of that fear on a minute by minute basis, BUT...If you can't come to terms w/the fact that times b a changin, you will most likely be hit at some point or another.

Mind your suroundings! Absolutely! If you haven't anything else, at least keep a key chain in your hand with one key up between your pointer and middle finger. Have or leave the fluffy...no I could never, and practice an elbow move, because you just might need that.

Last week I was handing out flyers and some guy jumped a balcony right in front of me. I know I shocked him and if he had been more confident, who knows what might have happened? I had a job to do, but had he approached me I had a knee move, elbow and a key waiting attached to a fist. That's just how it is. Complacentcy has its non-virtues, unfortunately.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
If you use a key or keys the best place to have them protrude fro nm the fist is between the middle and ring finger. This gives maximum anatomical advantage to the strike as it is aligned with the forearm bones, delivering more force. One cheap self defence tool is the Comtech Stinger
Comtech Stinger

The rest of the article is quite useful too although the photograph shows the incorrect positioning of the tool between index and middle finger (probably because the writer did Karate or a similar art).

When I was a taxi driver the two items I kept for 'physical discussions' were a bamboo and paper folding fan, and a penlight torch that projected out of both sides of my hand if I made a fist. I used them as outlined below

Yawara stick

The above site is trying to sell you stuff you may or may not want, but the principles apply to any small item that protrudes from either side of your fist. The added advantage of the torch was that shone in an attackers face you could dazzle them long enough to hit the person with the other hand, drive the edge of your foot into the attackers' shin and scrape/stamp onto the top of the foot etc.

Hope these ideas are of use

Last edited by Ninjahedgewych; 12/04/10 09:44 AM.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Thanks again Ian smile

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.