Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#646932 12/02/10 11:34 AM
R
Rick67 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello everyone. I am new at being a fish tank owner. I set up a 20 gallon tank for my fishes about 2 months ago. Waited 2 weeks before adding fish and changed 1/4 of the tank every week. I even went to the pet store and had my water tested as it was getting blurry and was not sure why and they told me my water was fine. The store told me it was normal to have foggy water as it is called Tank syndrome". Anyhow,we got the water clear again and decided it was time to pick up fishes. Everything was fine until yesterday when I came home from work and noticed I had 3 fish dead!!! I changed my water last night, well a 1/4 of it and later last evening the remainder of the fish died but 1. In total I had 5 very small fish, 2 of another kind(small) and a mid size white fish and a little blue one,sorry I do not have the breed kind as I am at work now. We put rocks on the bottom and some decorations. I have a heater and a pump and lights for the tank. I change the filters of the pump everytime I change the water. Now...we are on well water and not city water...so I am not sure if this could be the issue but I am getting my well water fully tested this week just to be on the safe side. The fish I want which I did not purchase yet as it requires the ph level to be lower than usual so I have been testing this for the last 2 weeks or so and have been adding ph adjuster to lower it every night I had to put 20 drops of ph adjuster as my ph level was at 7.5 but for some reason the ph has not gone down considering I have been adding this stuff every night for 2 weeks??? It has gone down somewhat but not very much thus the reason I have been treating it every night!! I hope this makes somewhat sense to an expert out there and hopefully I can get some answers to my problem. Thank you. Rick

Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
T
This response is a bit late but it definitely sounds like your tank is going through the cycling stage. The water needs to cycle for at least a month to 8 weeks before it is healthy for fish to live in. That is why your water was cloudy at first. Some people go ahead and put fish in to establish ammonia but that will cause sickness and the fish will be stressed and most likely die. I would keep doing water changes consistently and drift wood can lower your pH. Never put too much pH lowering chemicals in the water. If it doesn't work the first time...wait a day and then try again. Hope this helps. :)

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi, Congratulations on your new tank! Well water can be much harder than tap water. so that's something to be aware of.
Also, well water can contain high concentrations of dissolved gases which may be dangerous to fish. Many times, it has a lot of CO2 in it, which effects the pH. Fish should not be subjected to pH fluctuation, so for safety, aerate well water for several hours before using it.

Mary Brennecke Fish Site
What water PH is suitable for fish?

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Most tropical fish like a pH between 6 and 8. For freshwater fish between 5.5 and 7.5.

Mary Brennecke Fish Site

Moderated by  Mary_Betta_Fish 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.