logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#593232 03/29/10 11:16 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I would like to get a food dehydrator and start a pantry of dehydrated foods. I am collecting the large glass pickle jars for storage.

Has you ever processed food this way?
What, in your opinion, is the best dehydrator?
Do dehydrated foods taste good in recipes?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
I have an American Harvester dehydrator and I like it very much. They are common enough that I've been able to get extra trays at thrift stores, which is a big savings.

I don't use my dried foods in recipes, I eat what I dry dried.

Julie

Amoeba
Amoeba
Hey Phyllis!

We just picked up a food dehydrator.
Brand Name: Ronco

Haven't used it yet, however, years ago when I was a raw foodie I had a lot of foods from the dehydrator. It is a great way to, not only, preserve your foods, it also intensifies the flavors which makes them great for adding to recipes. If you're looking for a specific pop of flavors, chip up some of your dehydrated fruits or veggies into your meal towards the end of cook time and you'll be in for a tasty treat.

As a matter of fact, although I didn't dry these myself, I used dried cranberries in my Cranberry Cranberry Sauce and good is not the word. It adds much more complexity to a dish and helps to coax out other flavors you wouldn't've tasted without their addition.

You can also dehydrate them to the point that them crumble well, then put them in either a food processor, blender or a coffee grinder to make a powder or flakes out of them and use them to dust your foods at the finish right after plating. NO REGRETS!!! TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!!! wink

OP Offline
Hi Jason. Thanks for the tips! Adding the dried foods to recipes the way you suggest will be fun to try. I use dried cranberries in salads and smoothies - good stuff! I will look into the Ronco. I will be shopping this weekend and scout for it. I have already made a New Year's resolution to be more frugal and healthy and I think your tips will help a lot.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 12/02/10 04:20 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Amoeba
Amoeba
If there's a Kmart in your area, you may be able to find it there. I just happened to pop into one in our area [didn't know they were still in business blush :D], but I ran in for a refrigerator light bulb and came out with a dehydrator. My wife and I've been getting ready for our pre-New Year's Resolution campaign for health. Our kids are getting involved with us this go round, so we knew we were going to have to have a good amount of healthy snacks to have on hand. We travel an exorbitant amount of time and need to make sure that we make our junk healthy and convenient. LOL!!! laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.