Page 1 of 2 1 2
#644650 11/23/10 05:54 PM
A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
Hi folks,

I'm the new editor over at Senior Living. This is a first for me and I am looking forward to joining your community. Since I'm a newbie and there are so many paths to take, I'd love any suggestions or comments on articles you might be interested in.

My parents are both living but my Dad has been in poor health for years and Mom has become his caretaker. As you all know, it's difficult to watch your parents age and even more difficult to know you'll be following in their footsteps soon enough.

I'd love to see shared stories and inspirations on the subject. Like it's often said, it's the journey that makes the trip worthwhile.

Alice, Senior Living Editor
Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Alice:

Welcome.

I used to be the Walking Editor and know that you will do an awesome job with this forum.

I would love to hear about how you are dealing with the "emotions" I am sure you are experiencing in regards to your dad's poor health - if you don't mind talking about this.

If you do mind, just pretend I did not ask (lol)

A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
I don't mind at all. With sewing for Christmas I may not be around as much as I'd like. Dad is so stubborn. He's had a triple bi-pass, diabetes, parkinson's, skin cancer, strokes, and we still can't keep him out of the yard pulling weeds. I'm across the country but talk with Mom and my sisters all the time. At this point I'm just glad he's still here and that Mom is able and willing to care for him. It breaks my heart that I'm not there to help so Mom can have a break. We're trying to sell our house and move closer but with the market like it is, I'm not sure we'll be living close by any time soon.

Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

Tiger
Tiger
Alice, you will get to move closer to your parents - NEVER give up on that hope.

So what are you sewing for Christmas?

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Welcome aboard. My MIL is 85 and still very active. She is a volunteer for a senior-helping-seniors organization.

Tiger
Tiger
Hi Angie, my mom is 82 and makes me "tired" (lol).

I guess staying busy with her senior friends - traveling and working when she feels like it, keeps her young.

A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
I'm doing aprons for my sisters and sister-in-laws. And some smaller matching aprons for a few of their kids and grandkids. I'm hoping to finish 10 total.

I bought some 600 count sheets for my dad and plan to embroider the pillowcases with the family name. He can't see or hear very well but he might appreciate the softness of the sheets.

Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
Thanks for the welcome! It's so great when seniors have a quality life without massive health problems. I'm afraid I'll be following in my dad's shoes because we're so much alike.

Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

Tiger
Tiger
Alice, are there any steps you can take now to maybe avoid some of your dad's issues?

A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
He's a vietnam vet and it's hard to know how much was caused by that and how much is genetic. His quality of life hasn't been good. I don't mind growing old but would sure like to do it with style. (:

Senior Living Website
Senior Living Forum

Tiger
Tiger
And you can if you start now to think about what type of life you would like.

My mom has everything wrong with her due to not taking care of herself - it was not about money, it was about marrying an alcoholic and getting beat up every day.

I made a promise to myself that I would not put myself in such a position of dependency and to this day, even with a wonderul man in my life - I fight to maintain my finances.

I need to know I can be on my own if needed.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DeboraD 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.