Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
It's probably smart that they are wearing gloves (I'm temped to do it myself as a customer). I haven't seen that in any stores. Ever since reading these articles, I keep looking at the cashiers in the stores and hope they are OK.

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Shark
Shark
M
This article I just wrote for Natural Living will answer some questions too!

www.bellaonline.com/articles/art67650.asp

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Thank you for writing the article!

This is an upsetting issue for me. Even though the risk may be small, it isn't one I want to take for my daughter.

It's only been a week or so since I have reverted back to plastic and I am already getting overrun with them. I have to find reusable bags without paint in them soon. (I found a place online that sells plain bags and I plan to order them tonight.) While I will find uses for these plastic bags, it will take me months to get through what I have accumulated so far.

Any suggestions as to what to do with the reusable bags I already have that have a high likelihood of having lead paint in them?

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Most grocery stores have recycling bins for plastic bags. Check with the store manager.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Thanks. If I get too overrun, I will recycle them. I try to find uses for them if I can (car trash bags, place for a stinky diaper, etc.) first though.

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

M
Shark
Shark
M
Also, check EcoBags online at ecobags.com - they are GOTS certified and use organic cotton so they are safe for reusable totes!

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Lead in bags article

Apparently the lead is not just in the paint as I thought earlier. At least some has been found in the fabric. According to this article the concerns are relatively minor. But still... And lead builds up over time.

The article on the top gives specific information about bags from Target, Harris Tetter, Foodlion & Lowes

I am thinking taking my bags I am not keeping back to the stores and insist that the stores find a way to dispose of them.

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Protecting Kids From Lead

This article has interesting information about keeping lead levels down in kids. I never knew most of this. For example, you are not supposed to use hot water to cook with. I guess it has more lead. ???

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
If your home has lead plumbing a tiny bit of lead may leach out into the water when it is held in the pipes for a while.
As for lead in dust, I wonder about that. Lead was phased out of house paints many years ago, so unless you live in an old house that hasn't been repainted in 50 years that shouldn't be a problem. And it is equally as long ago that lead was taken out of gasoline...before then automobile exhausts would deposit lead along roadsides on sidewalks and plants. I guess there might still be some lead in roadside soils.
Decorative low-fired (earthenware) ceramic imports that are brightly colored shouldn't be used to contain food, lead is a cheap ingredient in bright pigments and leaches out into food. But high fired (stonewear and porcelain) ceramics are lead-free, if they had any lead to begin with it would have burned away in the high temperature kiln.
I love my collection of plain heavy cotton shopping bags, strong and ugly, they work fine with no worries.

S
S
That's true... but some times recycling products is better than going for reusable products!!! At least there is low chances of getting lead and other chemicals in them, harming our body!!

Last edited by BellaOnline; 03/01/12 09:09 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Farjana_Environment_Ed 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.