Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#642301 11/14/10 08:06 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
n order to cut down on my salt intake I have started to use "Jamie Oliver Zesty Thyme, Lemon, and Bay salt" as an alternative. I dropped a little on the floor last night and our cat sniffed it, then rolled all over the floor, fought my hand, and went racing around the house!
This seasoning contains salt, lemon peel, Thyme, Lemon oil, and Bay leaves.
I know Bay leaves can be hallucinogenic to humans under certain circumstances but what in this mixture could affect the cat? Any ideas?

I posted this on the cat site with no replies so thought I'd try here.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
That is odd. Let me do a little research and get back to you.

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
It seems that thyme and bay leaves are not recommended for cats. In fact, bay leaves are considered toxic by many professionals. The lemon peel and oil should have turned your cat off as these smells are repulsive to cats.

Watch what the cat eats in future. Many things that are safe for us can be fatal for them. You taught me a few things about my cats today smile

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks, I have been keeping the condiment well away from my cat and will make sure it continues to be well out of reach. He didn't eat it, just smelt it, but that was enough of a warning to keep it well away from him.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Perhaps you could do an article each on the dangers of different herbs for cats and dogs? For example I know that onion is dangerous for both of them as it causes their red blood cells to break down.

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Ninjahedgewych
Perhaps you could do an article each on the dangers of different herbs for cats and dogs? For example I know that onion is dangerous for both of them as it causes their red blood cells to break down.
Hi Ian, that would be a really interesting article! (JOY)

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Having talked to some of the more experienced Pagans with Traditional Craft backgrounds the consensus is that Bay is a 'visionary herb' and that the compounds might have been released by the lemon oil and the thymol in strong enough dose to have an effect on the cat.
Now only sprinkling that stuff on in the kitchen, nowhere where the cat can get at it. Even if there is an accident.

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
After you first posted this, I began some research. There will be articles forthcoming on this.

Do you have any other pet/herb related topics that you would like to see?

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
The difference between the herb Sage and the plant used for 'smudging' would interest people I think. Also the dangers of combining some herbs and medication (MAO inhibitors etc)

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
Ian, I have to admit that I was ignorant of "smudging". Looked it up. Yes, it would be a good article. I'll put it down on my list. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.