Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
marger, simplicityshines, Jessyyoga, Arash, Ziv Halevy
57408 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57409 Members
417 Forums
113471 Topics
805615 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 485
Beetlemess 242
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 143
Jana - Creativity Editor 142
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 85
Nancy Roussy 84
Susan - Meditation Editor 46
Mona - Astronomy 44
Sandra Investing/HFinance 44
Dianne W - Editor 26
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#641884 - 11/11/10 04:38 PM Best States to be a Snowbird
RV Editor Erin Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Loc: Oregon, United States
I recently posted this article Best States to be a Snowbird and have already received much feedback. Several folks offered up their favorite towns and RV resorts, while others expressed safety concerns in reference to wintering near the Mexican border.

I would love to open up this forum thread for people to share their favorite winter destinations. Also, for those staying in a location that borders Mexico, like anywhere in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas, please share your thoughts on safety. Has the recent drug cartel violence affected your travel plans? Do you plan to visit Mexico? If so, are you taking any extra precautions when you cross the border?

Add Best States to be a Snowbird to Twitter Add Best States to be a Snowbird to Facebook Add Best States to be a Snowbird to MySpace Add Best States to be a Snowbird to Del.icio.us Digg Best States to be a Snowbird Add Best States to be a Snowbird to Yahoo My Web Add Best States to be a Snowbird to Google Bookmarks Add Best States to be a Snowbird to Stumbleupon Add Best States to be a Snowbird to Reddit
#641894 - 11/11/10 05:31 PM Re: Best States to be a Snowbird [Re: RV Editor Erin]
MarcD Offline

We recently retired 4 years ago and have been doing some traveling from east to west. Since the topic is "Wintering in Texas" I will keep the conversation as such. While heading to Texas from Arizona my wife asked if we would take I-10 through El Paso again. I said no, as I could tell she had that look in her face. Last year we took that route and wanted to stop at Big Bend NP, but had spoken to a NP ranger and he said he transfered from there because his wife felt no longer safe there. So be that as it may, we took a different route north of I-10. It was a great choice. The point I guess I am making is that why take the chance. The situation on our borders are not good. Why should we expose ourselves to some very unsafe situations when there are so many other avenues? There are some very beautiful places in Texas other than near the Mexico borders. Some of the places we will visit or spend time "wintering" are in the Hill Country, ex. Fredericksburg, then as it cools down head to the Aransas Pass area off the gulf coast. Life is too short to take risks when it is not necessary.

Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Twitter Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Facebook Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to MySpace Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Best States to be a Snowbird Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Stumbleupon Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Reddit
#642072 - 11/12/10 05:41 PM Re: Best States to be a Snowbird [Re: MarcD]
RV Editor Erin Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Hey MarcD! Thanks so much for sharing your story and offering up some alternate places to hang out in Texas. I totally understand the decision to reroute your trip!! Just curious since I am in the Pacific NW and you said you headed from Arizona, do they feel the same way down near places like Yuma and Quartzsite right now? How about Deming, New Mexico? Is that whole route along I-10 just a scary place to be?

Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Twitter Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Facebook Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to MySpace Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Best States to be a Snowbird Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Stumbleupon Add Re: Best States to be a Snowbird to Reddit
#651116 - 12/22/10 01:16 PM Re: Best States to be a Snowbird [Re: RV Editor Erin]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Quartzite isn't considered near Mexico at all, so ppl are safe there. It's as far from Mexico as Los Angeles. smile

I have no issues with Yuma either, or San Diego. Big American cities.

That is really too bad about Big Bend. I adore that park.

A park like Organ Pipe, on the AZ border, is probably not really safe anymore.

#651264 - 12/22/10 07:25 PM Re: Best States to be a Snowbird [Re: Jilly]
RV Editor Erin Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

That is too bad too, since Organ Pipe is such a unique and lovely park!

#651436 - 12/23/10 02:48 PM Re: Best States to be a Snowbird [Re: RV Editor Erin]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
I agree. I have spent much time camping and hiking there - it's pretty unique. Much nicer than the Saguaro Parks.

Are the coasts of the states of LA, MS, Alabama, South Carolina and Georgia good for snowbirds?

#651622 - 12/24/10 07:12 PM Re: Best States to be a Snowbird [Re: Jilly]
RV Editor Erin Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

You know, I personally don't find those states as RV friendly during the winter months because they can get pretty cold. I lived in The South for many years and we had some cold weather during the winter months. Cold enough that when I think of snowbirding, anything much north of Orlando, Florida is not on the top of my list.

Moderator:  RV Editor Erin 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Fish Oils - Do You Take Them?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Low Carb
13 minutes 18 seconds ago
New Game - What I want for Christmas
by "Rosie"
Creativity
15 minutes 33 seconds ago
Alternative Shopping on Black Friday
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Home Finance
28 minutes 48 seconds ago
Calcium - Do You Get Enough?
Low Carb
Today at 11:58 AM
Mindfulness and Meditation in Plain English
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Today at 11:17 AM
What do you think are beauty basics?
by Nancy Roussy
Beauty Basics
Today at 10:14 AM
What Yoga did you Do Today?
Yoga
Today at 10:09 AM
What do you Have for Breakfast?
Low Carb
Today at 10:04 AM
Cancer the Crab *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 09:53 AM
What is a proxy server?
by cory455
Computer Networks
Today at 09:37 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered ("Rosie", Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames), 142 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.