logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Susan,

My brain is wonky. It�s been clear to me for some time now that it is not wired to the standard. Sometimes I embrace the differences and sometimes I curse them.
On the plus side, I can read and comprehend at the speed of light it seems. This is very advantageous at school and in my career as a technical person, but it comes at a price that exists even if I slow down, which I find is difficult to do. I have major problems with numbers or letters that have curves in them. It�s possibly a form of dyslexia. It started in the first grade when learning to write the alphabet and everyone assumed I�d outgrow it, but I never have. It does not interfere with comprehension, but I tend to always misorder words and numbers that have curves in them, for example, the word �to� becomes �ot� and it affects my ability to accurately perform inventories at work.

I am fully ambidextrous, which is really handy since I work with tools a lot and often require a third hand. Being able to quickly change hands is a definite plus, but I have zero sense of direction and have major problems with organization in general. The invention of the GPS has changed my life in ways that I could never have imagined. I am literally handicapped with simple direction. I even have problems with direction and order when I write. I often put words in the wrong order and have to reread and edit everything that I type to make it flow smoothly enough to be read by others. It has a similar effect on my work as if I were a person who is not writing in their native tongue, except that I was very good in English in school and I really do understand the basic components of sentence structure, it is not simply that I need lessons on the placement and usage of nouns, pronouns, verbs etc. My brain�s organizational apparatus simply isn�t efficient.

Do you know, is there a name for this? And is it common for people who are gifted in some ways, to be handicapped in others? I�m wondering if perhaps I am missing the divider between my left and right brain or something similar to that. My birth was a very difficult breach presentation and my parents tell me that I almost didn�t arrive safely.

I�ve always been curious about how the brain works and why we are all so different in that regard.

And also, if I were to seek out a medical opinion on this topic, what type of doctor or other professional would I be looking for?

Thanks for taking the time to read this wall of text. I appreciate your time.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Dyslexia is what comes to mind. You can probably be tested as an adult at your local community college.

It's interesting that you've isolated the curve in letters as b and d are very common problems with dyslexia.

Good luck!

Moderated by  Celestine - Learning Dis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.