Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#639299 10/29/10 11:03 PM
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Here's my two cents on Are Ghosts Real? Can't really say about Elvis...

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Great article, LeeAnn. I agree completely. There are no such thing as ghosts. They are actually demons.

Lisa Binion
Fiction Writing

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
I have always believed that the 'ghosts' people see or sence are demons. They are definately not lost souls. God doesn't lose souls. When we die, believers are with Jesus, non-believers don't wander around. Their destination is hell.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
So Lynne, you obviously didn't get your education on this subject from Hollywood--:)

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
It's funny how many people do rely on Hollywood for there information.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
LeAnn, Please tell me the scripture chapter and verse where the Bible tells us about ghosts. My next question, have you, Lynn, Or Lisa ever seen or had anything to do with a demon? Does the Holy Ghost exist or is that a demon?

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Hi ancientflaxman,

The Holy Ghost in the KJV is better translated Holy Spirit, in that God is spirit as opposed to flesh. Angels are spirit beings, too, and that category includes fallen angels, or demons.

The Bible doesn't tell us about ghosts, nor vampires, nor werewolves, nor any other make-believe creature, the KJV's reference to unicorns notwithstanding.

I know that my adversary is a demon, and have no doubt that his minions occasionally attempt to interfere as I do my best to live for God. I rest, though, in the assurance that I belong to Jesus Christ, the Creator of the universe, and thus no evil can have any power over me.

May I ask what your interest is in the matter?

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
LeeAnn,

Got a question for you.

I totally agree with your assessment about ghosts being demons and the like, but what would be their purpose in haunting and the like? My aunt claims that she is regularly visited by her grandfather. She is a believer, but she believes that the dead do come back to visit and communicate. I say that the enemy uses the pleasant things to draw our attention from God. She cannot see how grandpa visiting her can be evil.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
You certainly may!!! I do not know what version that you speak fo but 90 times in the King James version of the Bible it referes to the Holy Ghost. LeAnn,let your adversary be a demon but do not let it be ignorance. You have never seen such a spectre but there are many Christians who have. They may not admit it to you but neither would I if I was a Christian. I, despite what you may be thinking have much respect for you but let me speak for a moment if you are open to hear it. Frankly if someone believes in ghosts or not is of little consequence to me as I have my own oppinion and that I will keep to myself. I speak to my share of people in what I do and many of them have had such experiences. I do not try to convince them that they are right or wrong but what I see is that some are terrified that another Christian will judge them if they confess such a thing. Despite what the popular opinion is many Christians have had experiences with beings from beyond. Where do they go without condemnation? With what has previously been posted about this subject would they feel comfortable even attempting to admit such a thing on this site? I am not your enemy here, I just want you to think about what kind of a situation that they are in. It is not all about Biblical laws or rules, lofty opinions, or fear, nor is it about condemnation. Jesus was all about love. He had an encounter with a harlot and by love and forgiveness he made a fervent believer but He did not do it by reminding her of her past or what was right, wrong, scriptural, or whatever, He just loved her and she changed. Christians do come to me to ask about experiences that many other Christians have condemned them for, or at least feel that they would be condemned. Its easy to say, I don't believe that, or that is wrong thinking, or that is the devil, when we don't even undestand the compassion that it takes to change hearts. Acceptance is first and then teaching in love for complete understanding is paramount. What many feel is that if they confess what they know that they will be judged as evil or demons themselves. It is time that if Christians speak the name of Jesus that they have the understanding that it takes to build lives not on fear, guilt, or condemnation, but on genuine compassion and that the ones that we are dealing with can see that light coming from within us. In that fervent love lives will and are changed and no other way!!!!! One can preach a house afire, know all about scripture, be respected by a multitude of others or feel completely justified in a sea of theological knowledge and yet ......Thou I speak with the tongue of men and angels------------

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 11/18/10 09:36 PM.
R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
The actual Greek when it came to the "Holy Ghost" meant Spirit or Breath. "Ghost" the common word for spirit during the days when the King James Bible was translated.

Are there ghosts? Yes. Samuel was summoned and his ghost or spirit was upset with Saul. Ghosts are not a topic discussed much in the bible and they are not a common presence. The only spiritual beings that are faced typically in the Word are demons and angels. Paul says to test the spirits. If they are not directly from God, they have to be from the enemy.

There is no reason this topic cannot be discussed calmly even when we disagree.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
What is left to discuss? I was not heard. Neither will many others be heard. Good luck!!!

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
smile Don't assume you haven't been heard. The forum is very slow tonight.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
I assume nothing. I just see what people are up against.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
We have reached a day and age where such things as lovingkindness, gentleness, tenderness, and acceptance are viewed as weakness. I once talked to a preacher who was quite definite in his view of salvation. I told him that people must be loved and accepted kinda like the "just as I am" thing in order to be led "home". He responded quite indignantly with," If I just love people they would never enter the kingdom or come home." Is this where we have gone today? Us making it very hard upon other people so that they have no other choice but to do what we want, pardon me, what God wants? Isn't the Spirit capable of dealing with the true needs of each person without our humanly directed "salvation by the book". Not that anyone cares but just let me ramble a little please. I have always known the Great Mother but I was "born" into the love of Jesus by a Grandfather that just accepted me as I was and yet he loved me so much that I could not resest the invitation to accept Christ as a very personal friend and trusted mentor when I was quite young. I love the Great Mother which I am sure that many cannot understand and that is of little consequence here but I fell in love with Jesus because of an example that came from pure unbridled love shown by another person. If we loose the very essence of the purpose of the Holy Ghost and that understanding that Christ gave each of us to come home, we have nothing else to go on for. The sword will be turned in plow shares and the lion will lie down with the lamb.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Rebecca,
I'm a firm believer in relying on the Word of God rather than my personal experience. My senses fool me. My emotions are too easily affected to be reliable. I'm easily swayed by a sob story or a sales pitch. So, I rely on Scripture to keep me straight. Your aunt's belief that the dead come back and communicate is not grounded in Scripture, and indeed contradicts Scripture. The logical conclusion is that she's being deceived, either by wishful thinking, an overactive imagination, or by a demon from hell. I don't know what strategy our enemy might have in mind there, but it can't be good. And you are right. Any distraction from God and Truth is harmful to us.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Rebecca, in regard to ghosts existing: Saul's experience with the medium at Endor isn't sufficient to say that ghosts exist. As I said in my article, it's debatable whether Samuel really appeared, or whether a demon impersonated him. Even if he did appear, it was a one time exception made by God, to teach his errant king a profound lesson. Unless I'm mistaken there is no place in Scripture that says ghosts do exist.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Luke 24: 36-43 (NIV)

While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself
stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you."

They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost.

He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do
doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet.
It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not
have flesh and bones, as you see I have."

When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet.
And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat?" They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he took it and ate it in their presence.

LeeAnn, how would you explain the above passage written by Luke? As Luke was a physician/scientist, would he not have denied the existence of ghosts? And if ghosts were not real, would not Jesus have told them they were silly to believe He was a ghost because ghosts do not exist? Also, Jesus (according to Luke) gave ghosts some specific physical traits, or lack of them.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 11/19/10 09:40 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
ancientflaxman,

I don't know if you desire a response from me, but some things in your 'rambling' are serious misunderstandings, so I'll attempt it.
First, I apologize for using KJV: that is just the abbreviation for the King James Version. That translation is 400 years old and much of the English is extremely outdated. As Rebecca said, people at that time said ghost where we would say spirit, meaning the eternal part of each person, or just breath of life. Today, when people say ghost they commonly mean the spirit of a dead person appearing to the living.
I stand firmly on my statement that people, even Christians, who say they've seen ghosts have really seen demons. Dead people are not free to haunt anyone, therefore what seems to be a ghost is really a demon. When people die, they go to be with Christ, or to Hades, and Scripture allows for no other options. If you find another option in Scripture, please let me know. As I said above, experiences do not always truthfully reflect reality. Check what you think happened against Scripture and you won't go wrong.

I hope Christians who think they have seen ghosts will study their Bibles and pray fervently to be shown the truth of the matter. If you can't figure it out, ask for help from a trusted brother or sister.

As for Jesus, know that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He tells us through Paul, in Ephesians 4, that we should "no longer be little children, tossed by the waves and blown around by every wind of teaching, by human cunning with cleverness in the techniques of deceit. But speaking the truth in love, let us grow in every way into Him who is the head��Christ." We must speak the TRUTH in love. Without the truth, there is no love.

And here is some very important truth: accepting Christ as a personal friend and trusted mentor is not an accurate understanding of the purpose of Jesus' life and work. Jesus is the Son of God, the Creator Owner of the Universe, completely holy and all-powerful. He came to earth to live as a man, because we are all lawbreakers, helpless sinners, under a death penalty. He died for our sin, and God accepted that as payment in full for anyone who in faith trusts in Him and rests in that finished work. You can choose to believe this or not, but that is what the Bible teaches. If the Jesus you fell in love with does not fit this description, you are in love with a false Jesus, and not the Savior.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
This is interesting.

It got me thinking about everything in the physical world and in the religious world as well.

Faith...I feel faith and one person's faith is not, can not and in my opinion ever be stamped on another.

Thus, why Jesus appeared to many. no one person could have interpreted his presence exactly the same way.

The other thing is we're talking about God and biblical teachings and the ultimate in salvation by biblical definition and a creator we are bowed to or humbled to *(I don't have the right word) but say God is almighty and we are humble servants, I don't believe that but for arguemtn sake that is what I was taught to beieve in CCD and Private Catholic School.

How would it be that any one single person has the utlimate understanding of such an awesome and divine being. What it consists of in the entirety, what it believes, what it condemns, etc. but for what is written by human beings that had to at some point, though inspired by God, answer to political means in order to get such writings into print.

It seems but interpretation, no matter who or what you quote and we base interpretation on rearing, expeience, harships, love and sadly judgement.

What's interesting most of all, as much judgement there is in religions, all religions, is by observing our physical - just our natural surroundings I guess and the beauty, that continual discovery, ect.

In this world that we live, we are still finding glalxies and planets we had no idea existed. But what is really great is that I've been noticing lately the minerals, plants, animals, people...well it's like an alchemists playground. Virtually everything can be mixed, even colors and it creates.

So, creation and love, that to me see, my interpretation seems to be what the creator of our souls, this planet, world - universe had in mind, not judgement and limitations.

We go on and the love we have does too and our spirits don't leave completely those we had contact with, their Souls, that connection goes on as well. That has been my experience.

Not saying there aren't demons out there, but not all spirits are misleading. The connection spirit has with any of us, is channeled through the same love Jesus went through in coming back to this place for us. His mission, to me, was on a much grander scale.

I believe that mission had a more divine intent to reach the masses who would be able to be touched by souch an event and then go on to write about it themselves.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 11/19/10 10:54 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
I welcome your responses. I am unafraid to face the truth. Your assessment of me is inaccurate however or what kind of a relationship I have with Jesus. I may have an understanding of Jesus and even an insight that maybe you yourself cannot see. You have placed yourself as an authority over who and how one must enter the Kingdom. You are no better than any other believer and certainly no worse but to try to put down anothers relationship with Jesus is intolerable. Maybe that is why Christianity is challenged so readily today. Maybe its the self righteousness of people that drive many away instead of relying on the beckoning of that gentle Holy Spirit. People that are driven out of fear or forced out of fear to accept Jesus will not stay. Those that the Holy Spirit calls out of love and patient endurance will find their home forever. I do know of which I speak and you need to learn that maybe some people might come to Him a little different way from what you found. Quote scripture all day if you like but until I see love in your being I would not be drawn to this site, why should other seekers?

Very well said, ancientflaxman. We each find our own way to the Holy Spirit. Interpretation of what other humans have written can produce a plethora of thoughts. You wrote: "Those that the Holy Spirit calls out of love and patient endurance will find their home forever." Beautifully said.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Hi Phyllis,
Two threads of thought on this. First, the word translated ghost in the NIV is pneuma in Greek, meaning spirit. Jesus reminds the disciples that spirits don't have flesh, because they are, um, spirits. God is spirit, the part of us that lives eternally is spirit, etc.
Second, belief in ghosts was common in the culture of the day, as it is in ours. Jesus seldom bothered to correct cultural errors unless they were germane to the point he was teaching at the time. So, he could have been telling them how silly they were being, since even according to their mistaken cultural belief, a ghost would not have a body of flesh, and He did. He was not giving ghosts specific traits, just reminding them that by definition, spirits don't have bodies. Or rather they aren't bodies. As CS Lewis said, "You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body," understanding the common use of spirit and soul interchangeably.

By the way, see also Mark 14:26, where the Greek word phantasma is translated ghost. Phantasm means a delusive appearance. Jesus doesn't correct them that time either, just told them it was Him. With a heavy sigh at their thickheadedness, I imagine.

I hope that makes sense. It's been a long day. I think I could find examples for you of Jesus not always correcting people's misunderstandings, but I'll have to search them out. I know it didn't bother him to not answer their questions, but tell them rather what they needed to hear. Anyone, feel free to chime in if you can think of an example.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Eleise,
You sure aren't required to believe what Scripture says, obviously. You have free will, as do we all, a gift from our Creator to enable us to love Him if we choose. Just know that almost nothing in your essay corresponds to biblical truth, as I'm sure you already know, just don't want others to be confused.

Also, (and perhaps you didn't mean this literally) there was never a question of getting such writings into print, since there was no "print" until 1400 years after even the NT was written. To the contrary, many thousands of Christians have paid with their lives for copying and sharing what is written in the Bible.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
ancientflaxman,

The name of the area of Bella Online for which I write is "Bible Basics." All I do there is point people to what Scripture says. What they do with it is their own choice. Your relationship with Jesus Christ is only your own, of course. I only seek to clarify what the Bible says on the matter. If I did not do so, and you were to perish in your sins, you would surely resent me for not loving you by telling you the truth. And I am not making up anything about how one must enter the kingdom, only repeating what Jesus said. I know it is an offensive message, but there it is. No one is ever, ever forced to follow Christ--though He desires that none should perish He never forces us to trust Him. But our enemy is quite real and desires that we all should perish. He works continually to deceive and destroy, and that often through much truth mixed with a sprinkling of deadly falsehood. Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, "nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." God's word does not return to Him void, and some will listen and turn to Jesus, if only I am His faithful bondslave, which is all and only what I aspire to be.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
LeeAnn, I will agree with your one statement and it is so full of truth. You certainly are a bondslave and your aspiration to bondage is self fulfilling. I am so very sorry, I did not understand until now!!! I wish only the best for you, your friend, Dave

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 11/20/10 12:07 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I don't understand what you are saying?

I wasn't trying to quote scripture, I was just saying how I felt, my interpretation of faith.

It kind of reminds me of, well when I went to Central Catholic. The person intitating our religious disussion,the teachers always seemed to need the last word. It usually followed with

"I'm sorry you feel....but"

That was entirely the reason many people left and went their own way. The teacher wasn't the saviour, nor were they the messenger they thought they were but for their own belief or role I should say.

They just expressed their opinion and many of the kids disagreed and they always, always answered even when they didn't know the answer, not really, but discounted what any of us had to offer, even if it was agreeable to an extent that offered futher investigation, spiritually , philosophically.

My opinion, but why many people are leaving and finding their own way and when they do come back to church it's going to be in a different way, not the outdated, believe because I say so, but belief through their experience with what works and doeesn't work in bringing people together.

You (figuretive) may have your own faith and this is, to me if it's in a forum a discussion, but your faith isn't accurate for everyone, nor specifically anyone, but for your own self and regardless faith does change, it grows.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Quote:
Any distraction from God and Truth is harmful to us.

I agree LeeAnn. Stating the truth in love is not cold or hard hearted. The most loving thing we can do for anyone is to turn them toward God.

It is unfortunate that some forget the "love" part, but that is part of the human nature of many - Christians, Pagans, Aethists, whoever.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Sorry Lynne, Love does not demand its own way!!!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: LeeAnn-Bible Basics
Unless I'm mistaken there is no place in Scripture that says ghosts do exist.

Umm -- there's no place that says aeroplanes exist but I see them flying over the house every day.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
This is futile. Does it really matter whether ghosts exist or not? I am not preoccupied with it. All that I asked when I entered this conversation is that Christians please do not judge other Christians that have had differing experiences than they themselves have had. If they are in error then understanding, compassion, coupled with an urgency to teach the truth is what is needed in these times. I'm outa here.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Originally Posted By: Peter - Wine
Unless I'm mistaken there is no place in Scripture that says ghosts do exist.

Umm -- there's no place that says aeroplanes exist but I see them flying over the house every day.

LOL. That is funny...and true!

I love the Bible, too, but some people are misguided to think that the words are meant literally and completely. I am not a church-going Christian but I have read scripture. And in the Bible, Jesus tells people that he speaks in parables rather than coming right out and saying the message for a reason. Some people will follow the letter of the law or the words rather than the spirit of the law or the purpose. Those who follow the literal words of the Bible are erring. Can they not feel the true spirit of Christ's intended message?

If you are taking the Bible literally, what do you think about a man and woman becoming one? Do we morph into one physical being?

Also, Jesus talked about there "being more to tell but you cannot bear it now" and to me, that means there is so much more to the real picture than the Bible contains. Why? Because people can't handle the truth of it all yet.

As for ghosts which is the topic of this thread, the Bible doesn't talk about ghosts because the term "ghost" is interchangeable with "deceased spirit."

I can tell you that I have seen ghosts. They are the spirits of deceased people who linger around on earth instead of passing onto the next realm which is why they appear in a different energy form to our earthly human eyes. Their energies vibrate at a different level than those who move on.

Are ghosts good or evil? It depends on their natures when they were living. Are they lost souls? God doesn't "lose" souls but souls may choose to drift or stay away.

And there are also demons. Demons who never lived in a human body. They want to harass the living and attempt to enter their bodies to experience life. They can wreak havoc on your psyche.

There are heavenly spirits, too. Angels, for example.

So be sure you know which you're dealing with. How can you tell? You will feel true peace and love when visited by a deceased loved one or a heavenly being. You'll feel fear, anger or illness when in the presence of evil.

As for the ghosts of deceased people, there are stories of non-threatening, protective ghosts and of scary, mean ghosts and that is because that was their nature while alive. They chose not to move on for different reasons. They'll get to the next place when they choose to go.

God is patient.

Please don't go, ancientflaxman. Everyone is doing the best he/she can at his/her current level of understanding. Life is for learning and growing. Impart your thoughts and experiences and others may choose to learn from it or reject it as they wish.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Just to add: I hope this forum is a place for learning and not just a place to cheer on only those who agree with us and condemn those who think otherwise.

Jesus dined with tax collectors and prostitutes in order to teach them, not condemn them. He loved and prayed for even his enemies who tortured his body.

Can we do the same?

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
LOL - We can agree to disagree since you have the right to be wrong, eh? (in jest!)

A little humor always helps.

Respecting others is highly important even when you disagree with all your heart. I have had more people willing to listen to my stance on a topic when I listen to theirs respectfully. Forums are dangerous this way because we cannot hear the tone. Which is why I always put the "lol", smiley faces, and my jest comment.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Humor appreciated, Rebecca! As well as your respectful disagreement! smile

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
Anytime, Lori. That is the humor part, not the disagreement part. smile I get that at home all the time.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
You guys are great!!! My love to every one of you!! This is a womans site and I should not be on here. The only problem is that guys don't usually get it!! I know of no sites like this for guys because I have looked. I feel sometimes like a fifth wheel. Anytime you ladies want me off of her just send me a PM and I am gone. Your tolerance is incredible!!! Dave

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
Dave, you are welcome to be here. We can agree to disagree and we can agree to be different genders. You guys have some good things to say once in awhile smile Seriously, having a man's viewpoint can be eye opening.

Maybe you are supposed to be here learning how to create a man's site like this.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Very insightful Rebecca!! I never thought of it. Its like when I try to talk to my brothers about these things I usually end up loosing them after 10 to 15 words. They are cool guys and I love them but they are about as deep as a piece of rice paper. LOL Thank you!!

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 11/20/10 04:33 PM.
Originally Posted By: ancientflaxman
You guys are great!!! My love to every one of you!! This is a womans site and I should not be on here. The only problem is that guys don't usually get it!! I know of no sites like this for guys because I have looked. I feel sometimes like a fifth wheel. Anytime you ladies want me off of her just send me a PM and I am gone. Your tolerance is incredible!!! Dave

Dave, you are most welcome at BellaOnline. We all come together to express our own viewpoints and beliefs and that is a good thing. I always enjoy reading your posts -- I may not always agree with you, but, I learn from you and respect your beliefs/thoughts.

I consider every person who comes into my life is a teacher in some way. Agree or disagree, I learn from them. One of my greatest friends was in my life for about one year. He was a Russian Jew, I a Christian with strong Native American beliefs and some Pagan beliefs of worshiping in Nature. I strive to live in harmony and balance with all Creation. My friend and I often had very long conversations on religions of the world, spirituality, and many other subjects. When he had to go back home to Russia, we parted as dear friends with an understanding and respect for each other and our differing thoughts and beliefs.

On the subject of ghosts and spirits, my Russian Jewish friend and I both agreed. They do exist. My beliefs on the subject is very much as Lori wrote above.

I have seen, heard and sensed ghosts and no one can tell me I am wrong -- for it is what I know. Jesus does not rebuke me for what I believe. Jesus is pure love. My beliefs are so close to Lori's that I would have written the same words she did.

Dave, never feel you are unwelcome here. I would so miss you. I have learned much from you.

LeeAnne has taken on this Bible Basics site because this is her way of life and what she believes. She is expressing her thoughts and beliefs in the best way she knows how.

I would be so happy, and I believe we all would, if we could continue the subject with love and understanding for each other and know that even if we disagree, we can respect another's right to stand strong in their own truths.

Blessed Be.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
One more thought I have. Thanks Peter for your delightful sense of humour. You started my day with a chuckle.

Lori, thanks for expressing your thoughts/beliefs so beautifully and with such deep insight.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 11/20/10 05:09 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Very insightful Rebecca!! I never thought of it. Its like when I try to talk to my brothers about these things I usually end up loosing them after 10 to 15 words. They are cool guys and I love them but they are about as deep as a piece of rice paper. LOL Thank you!!

Dave, Angelfire is a good site to start a free web site.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Ah.... finally found the verse I was thinking of grin

From 1 John 4
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God.

I have had contact with spirits, and I know they weren't demons.

When Jesus was accused of being possessed by demons, he said:

"How can Satan drive out Satan? If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. If a house is divied against itself, that house cannot stand. And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come." ~ Mark 3:23

I believe if a spirit comes to us with intention of helping us and not themselves, they could not be demon.

Last edited by Dreams/Inspiration Editor; 11/21/10 08:49 PM.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger

Dave, I have always thought your posts were so insightful! I'm happy to finally have the chance to interact with you - and I'm very glad you're here!

Deanna Joseph

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
To add this, I still believe the same about the ghost topic, but to know and understand where others come is very insightful. I enjoy respectfully discussing topics that we might not agree on. You learn something about me. I learn something about you. Who knows what one of us will say to inspire or have the other one think deeper about.

The key is respect. I cannot talk with my mother-in-law much because she gets extremely worked up over religion and politics and we typically agree on the religion part. I don't like the confrontation. I would prefer to be able state my belief even when it might not be popular and not have WWIII occur. :)Think of what she is missing by not learning more about me on those "disagreeable" topics.

My grandmother always swore that ghosts were real because of an encounter she had. Though from her description, I would have to argue that it was demonic. I wasn't there, but it was horrible what she described. Then again, this woman believed that worms came from horse hair that fell in water and that all pregnant women were to be secluded because they would mark their baby. I loved that woman smile

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Thank you Deanna, its a real pleasure to meet you. Anybody interested in inspiration and dreams is very akin to me. Rebecca, you hit the nail on the head!! In our respect and acceptance of each other we have the freedom to make very deep choices-decisions about the course of our life whereas in rejection, intolerance, or fear we will hold onto whatever we have because of insecurity and would never change. I am so happy to know both of you!!!! Dave

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
Glad to meet you, Dave. Hope to hear more from you in the future.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Originally Posted By: Dreams/Inspiration Editor
Ah.... finally found the verse I was thinking of grin

From 1 John 4
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God.

I have had contact with spirits, and I know they weren't demons.

When Jesus was accused of being possessed by demons, he said:

"How can Satan drive out Satan? If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. If a house is divied against itself, that house cannot stand. And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come." ~ Mark 3:23

I believe if a spirit comes to us with intention of helping us and not themselves, they could not be demon.

Hi Deanna,

I've just been reading in 1 John myself--great letter. John was writing to a group of churches dealing with false teachers, some denying Jesus was the Christ, some denying he had come in the flesh. In context, the spirits are those of false teachers (false prophets), as opposed to people teaching the gospel accurately, who would be indwelt with the Spirit of God. So John tells his readers to test these teachers by asking them whether Jesus Christ has come in the flesh (the two things, Christ and flesh, that they denied). If they said no, they were not from God, but as the rest of the verse just after the portion you quoted says, "this is the spirit of the antichrist..." Note that he is not talking about the spirits of dead people wandering the earth. The context is truth and error. Now I wouldn't really say to try this at home, but if anyone did see what they thought was the spirit of a dead person, they might ask it whether Jesus is the Christ and has come in the flesh, and see what happens. Me, I would never seek to communicate with such a thing.

In the quote from Mark, (and forgive me if I'm missing your point on this one) the context again has nothing to do with ghosts/spirits of dead people, but demon possession. I think what you're getting at is that a spirit might have good intentions toward us...and thus not be a demon. I live by what Scripture teaches, and that is that our enemy is the father of lies. I believe that if he thought that we might be misled by a demon posing as a benevolent spirit supposedly trying to help us, he would assign a demon to that task post haste. The deception might even be more effective if what the spirit told you actually did help you. Then you might be convinced that listening to ghosts/demons was a good thing.

This is, of course, the orthodox Christian view, obviously not shared by many other posters.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Originally Posted By: Rebecca G.

The key is respect. I cannot talk with my mother-in-law much because she gets extremely worked up over religion and politics and we typically agree on the religion part. I don't like the confrontation. I would prefer to be able state my belief even when it might not be popular and not have WWIII occur. :)Think of what she is missing by not learning more about me on those "disagreeable" topics.

I totally agree Rebecca. I have a close relative that I actually cannot talk about religion OR politics with. And it's disappointing. They can both be pretty big parts of life.

Your Grandma sounds like a hoot laugh

Deanna Joseph

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
LOL. She was.

Maybe we can do our own respectful discussions and get it all off our chest smile without being handed back our heads.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Originally Posted By: Rebecca G.
LOL. She was.

Maybe we can do our own respectful discussions and get it all off our chest smile without being handed back our heads.

HA HA!! I LOVE that idea Rebecca.

It's interesting how wildly varying each sect of Christianity can be. I was raised a Southern Baptist, and am now part of Unity Christ Church. They are so different, it's crazy LOL!

As a Southern Baptist I didn't actually have any interest in asking about the ghosts. But with Unity I've found quite a few who more fringe beliefs {like me} laugh

Recently a friend of mine passed away. I was trying to write a song for his memorial service, but it just didn't seem to be coming out right. It was a struggle. Then I clearly heard him in my mind say "does that song really sound like me?" I had to laugh because, no, it didn't. Within 10 minutes I wrote such a lovely song, and it totally felt right. And it felt like the Holy Spirit working through me when it was created - it just felt beautiful and perfect and lovely and it happened so quickly.

I was so humbled by the experience, and just felt so blessed.

When I feel humbled and blessed, I always feel closer to God.

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
[
Hi Deanna,

I've just been reading in 1 John myself--great letter. John was writing to a group of churches dealing with false teachers, some denying Jesus was the Christ, some denying he had come in the flesh. In context, the spirits are those of false teachers (false prophets), as opposed to people teaching the gospel accurately, who would be indwelt with the Spirit of God. So John tells his readers to test these teachers by asking them whether Jesus Christ has come in the flesh (the two things, Christ and flesh, that they denied). If they said no, they were not from God, but as the rest of the verse just after the portion you quoted says, "this is the spirit of the antichrist..." Note that he is not talking about the spirits of dead people wandering the earth. The context is truth and error. Now I wouldn't really say to try this at home, but if anyone did see what they thought was the spirit of a dead person, they might ask it whether Jesus is the Christ and has come in the flesh, and see what happens. Me, I would never seek to communicate with such a thing.

In the quote from Mark, (and forgive me if I'm missing your point on this one) the context again has nothing to do with ghosts/spirits of dead people, but demon possession. I think what you're getting at is that a spirit might have good intentions toward us...and thus not be a demon. I live by what Scripture teaches, and that is that our enemy is the father of lies. I believe that if he thought that we might be misled by a demon posing as a benevolent spirit supposedly trying to help us, he would assign a demon to that task post haste. The deception might even be more effective if what the spirit told you actually did help you. Then you might be convinced that listening to ghosts/demons was a good thing.

This is, of course, the orthodox Christian view, obviously not shared by many other posters.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Thank you LeAnn, it's so fun to be here! I enjoy your articles - you write so thoughtfully - it's easy to tell you write from your heart.

Ah... the whole context thing. See, I didn't see that when I read it at all. It's a bit frustrating how they change their language around so much!! If you say spirit, mean spirit LOL!

The I suppose I do the same thing.... "she's such a lovely spirit" I may say about someone who was kind and generous.

I brought up the quote from Mark because Jesus had been accused of being possessed by a demon. Reading the passage it sounds like he's saying if we were possessed by a demon, how could be continue to do God's work.

Deanna Joseph

R
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
R
I was also raised Southern Baptist so I know what you mean. I once dated a boy that was Hindu (has since become a Christian). He was so confused with all the branches of Christianity. For a 17 year old, it was hard to explain to him. Wish I knew then what I know now. Wisdom comes so much later in life.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Hi Deana,

Thanks for your kind words. The Bible Basics articles are a labor of love, and I cherish the privilege of writing them.

The language in the Bible can be frustrating. I find in myself a growing desire to learn Greek (and Hebrew, though that's a terrifying thought) so I can cut through the translation fog and get to the original words. I really want to get started on the Greek in January...that might be one New Year's resolution I could really carry through on! God's message is crystal clear 99% of the time even in English (or Swahili or Mixtec, I'm sure), but for those confusing spots, I'd sure like to have the Greek in my head to help.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi LeeAnn

Have just done a bit on written Hebrew in my latest article:

On the learning languages angle I suggest a trip to your local library and ask for the section dealing with Memory Systems before starting on any of the languages. You may find visual systems, such as Harry Lorayne's, work for you fine but if not check out some of the rhyming mnemonics systems and look at NLP as applied to memory too.

Hope it helps your studies

Last edited by Ninjahedgewych; 12/07/10 01:30 PM.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Still forget about the security systems in place. Here is my article that includes the bit about written Hebrew;

Magickal Alphabets

Hope it's of interest

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.