logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Very well said, ancientflaxman. We each find our own way to the Holy Spirit. Interpretation of what other humans have written can produce a plethora of thoughts. You wrote: "Those that the Holy Spirit calls out of love and patient endurance will find their home forever." Beautifully said.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Hi Phyllis,
Two threads of thought on this. First, the word translated ghost in the NIV is pneuma in Greek, meaning spirit. Jesus reminds the disciples that spirits don't have flesh, because they are, um, spirits. God is spirit, the part of us that lives eternally is spirit, etc.
Second, belief in ghosts was common in the culture of the day, as it is in ours. Jesus seldom bothered to correct cultural errors unless they were germane to the point he was teaching at the time. So, he could have been telling them how silly they were being, since even according to their mistaken cultural belief, a ghost would not have a body of flesh, and He did. He was not giving ghosts specific traits, just reminding them that by definition, spirits don't have bodies. Or rather they aren't bodies. As CS Lewis said, "You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body," understanding the common use of spirit and soul interchangeably.

By the way, see also Mark 14:26, where the Greek word phantasma is translated ghost. Phantasm means a delusive appearance. Jesus doesn't correct them that time either, just told them it was Him. With a heavy sigh at their thickheadedness, I imagine.

I hope that makes sense. It's been a long day. I think I could find examples for you of Jesus not always correcting people's misunderstandings, but I'll have to search them out. I know it didn't bother him to not answer their questions, but tell them rather what they needed to hear. Anyone, feel free to chime in if you can think of an example.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Eleise,
You sure aren't required to believe what Scripture says, obviously. You have free will, as do we all, a gift from our Creator to enable us to love Him if we choose. Just know that almost nothing in your essay corresponds to biblical truth, as I'm sure you already know, just don't want others to be confused.

Also, (and perhaps you didn't mean this literally) there was never a question of getting such writings into print, since there was no "print" until 1400 years after even the NT was written. To the contrary, many thousands of Christians have paid with their lives for copying and sharing what is written in the Bible.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
ancientflaxman,

The name of the area of Bella Online for which I write is "Bible Basics." All I do there is point people to what Scripture says. What they do with it is their own choice. Your relationship with Jesus Christ is only your own, of course. I only seek to clarify what the Bible says on the matter. If I did not do so, and you were to perish in your sins, you would surely resent me for not loving you by telling you the truth. And I am not making up anything about how one must enter the kingdom, only repeating what Jesus said. I know it is an offensive message, but there it is. No one is ever, ever forced to follow Christ--though He desires that none should perish He never forces us to trust Him. But our enemy is quite real and desires that we all should perish. He works continually to deceive and destroy, and that often through much truth mixed with a sprinkling of deadly falsehood. Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, "nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." God's word does not return to Him void, and some will listen and turn to Jesus, if only I am His faithful bondslave, which is all and only what I aspire to be.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
LeeAnn, I will agree with your one statement and it is so full of truth. You certainly are a bondslave and your aspiration to bondage is self fulfilling. I am so very sorry, I did not understand until now!!! I wish only the best for you, your friend, Dave

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 11/20/10 12:07 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I don't understand what you are saying?

I wasn't trying to quote scripture, I was just saying how I felt, my interpretation of faith.

It kind of reminds me of, well when I went to Central Catholic. The person intitating our religious disussion,the teachers always seemed to need the last word. It usually followed with

"I'm sorry you feel....but"

That was entirely the reason many people left and went their own way. The teacher wasn't the saviour, nor were they the messenger they thought they were but for their own belief or role I should say.

They just expressed their opinion and many of the kids disagreed and they always, always answered even when they didn't know the answer, not really, but discounted what any of us had to offer, even if it was agreeable to an extent that offered futher investigation, spiritually , philosophically.

My opinion, but why many people are leaving and finding their own way and when they do come back to church it's going to be in a different way, not the outdated, believe because I say so, but belief through their experience with what works and doeesn't work in bringing people together.

You (figuretive) may have your own faith and this is, to me if it's in a forum a discussion, but your faith isn't accurate for everyone, nor specifically anyone, but for your own self and regardless faith does change, it grows.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Quote:
Any distraction from God and Truth is harmful to us.

I agree LeeAnn. Stating the truth in love is not cold or hard hearted. The most loving thing we can do for anyone is to turn them toward God.

It is unfortunate that some forget the "love" part, but that is part of the human nature of many - Christians, Pagans, Aethists, whoever.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Sorry Lynne, Love does not demand its own way!!!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: LeeAnn-Bible Basics
Unless I'm mistaken there is no place in Scripture that says ghosts do exist.

Umm -- there's no place that says aeroplanes exist but I see them flying over the house every day.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
This is futile. Does it really matter whether ghosts exist or not? I am not preoccupied with it. All that I asked when I entered this conversation is that Christians please do not judge other Christians that have had differing experiences than they themselves have had. If they are in error then understanding, compassion, coupled with an urgency to teach the truth is what is needed in these times. I'm outa here.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.