Next Thread
Print Thread
#638212 10/25/10 12:13 AM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Phyllis,

Can you advise me on this topic?

Many of us I am sure tuned into that horrific experience down near Sedona Arizona where several people died during a Sweat Lodge Prayer Ceremony this past year.. I was even more appauled when I found out that the fee to attend that sweat was about 9,000 each for the whole ceremonial week. About 60 people were in the lodge. I found this to be a great tragedy and a damaging image for Native Americans, for some people not familiar with the culture might think that its really a money making proposition, and Native Americans might feel that their ceremonial ways had been betrayed by wanna be Indian whites.
All in all it was a very unsavory and painful incident for many including the families that lost loved ones.

I am of Anglo American cultural origins yet I have attended several sweat lodge ceremonies lead by Native American medicine people starting when I was quite young, starting before the Native Peoples had yet to be legally free to practice their ceremonial ways (by USA white laws).. I was not asked for one cent. Nothing was spoken to me or others that I attended with. I was made to feel so welcome that I was afraid to ask if there was a fee, thinking I might insult or hurt feelings. I have also attended a number of other types of ceremonies over the years within the native tradition of a variety of cultures and again no fee. Nothing asked nor required. I was mindful to think and care for the ceremonial leaders comfort and needs providing what I though would make their trip easier for them.. and this was not asked for either. It came from me alone and I gave with an open heart.

So now I am wondering if this is common to not to charge a fee.. or are there ceremonies out there that a fee is expected or anticpated. I have not seen it and when I heard of a goings on that required a fee it really stopped me in my tracks... then they went on to say that if you cannot afford a fee you can come anyway... which to me seems to put your guest in an embarrasing position.

The ceremonies I have done have been with Black Feet, Lakota Sioux, Cherokee.

Could you help me to find some insight on this? perhaps reflecting various different cultural perspectives amongst tribes if you should know of them?

Thank You
Arrow

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" John Lennon

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Hi Arrow,

In most cases Native Americans do not even mention fees or expect a fee for helping one on their spiritual path, or for healing. In fact, I think it is rare that a Native American would ask for a fee to help one. The proper etiquette when seeking help from a Native American, is to offer a tobacco tie or a bag of tobacco without saying anything (tobacco is very sacred to Native Americans and they use it as offerings to Great Spirit and the Sacred Directions). That is symbolic of asking for help. If the person accepts your gift, that is saying they are willing to help you. Then you do not say anything till the person who accepted your gift speaks first. This is showing great respect and is very well received. This is a traditional ritual.

The people who put on that fiasco in Sedona did not know the proper way to conduct a sweat lodge ceremony, nor were they aware of the dangers to a person who is not aware of the intense heat and length of time one must spend in a sweat lodge. To take part in such a ceremony one must be fully aware of the fact that it is a sacred ritual and one that needs preparation for with a qualified Spiritual Leader or Medicine Man/Woman. One cannot just hop into a sweat lodge ceremony for fun and expect to come out alive. It takes common sense and a strong faith in the spiritual aspect of the ceremony.

A true Native American Spiritual Leader or Medicine Man/Woman will not ask for a fee. It is ok and often proper etiquette to offer a gift if seeking help.

I hope I have given you some helpful information.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Thank You Phyllis,

This is how I thought it was and I just needed a reality check as I may be needing perhaps to challenge this issue. I have not decided if the issue will be challenged or If I will just walk away. Truely I am hoping that the whole situation will somehow resolve itself in a good way before anything is said and we can all just get on with our hearts intent.

I also feel strongly that when it comes to spiritual work that it should be a gift from the holder of wisdom to a willing receiver. Spirit does not measure ones evolution on the material plane nor is ones commitment measured by the material gifts given and a true wisdom keeper cannot be bought or pursueded by gifts.

Only through knowing and accepting the workings of spirit are ceremonies preformed though the assistance of the wise ones both living and in other worlds... at least this is what my teachers have shown me...and I think them right.

So what you are saying is that this way of doing ceremony, of approach and asking is univeral to all tribes as far as you know?

I think it would be interesting to understand what qualities are universal amongst the tribes.. so much is written on how one tribe differs from another.

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" John Lennon

Arrow, sorry I took so long to get back to you on this.

Do I think showing respect like this is universal to all tribes? My answer would be yes -- because it is simply an acceptable way to show respect, it is not a rule or always expected, just a common courtesy that is appreciated.

To find out which qualities are universal amongst all tribes will take a lot of research. The basic thing to remember is respect -- respect for individual traditions and beliefs. One major thing I think that is common is that all Native American tribes believe in one supreme being -- Creator is called by many different names depending on the language of each tribe, but all mean the same: The One, The Great Mystery, Great Spirit, Wakan Tanka, Usen ...

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.