Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#638014 10/23/10 01:06 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
If you keep a journal, what are some ways to incorporate green living into your journaling habits?

Are there types of journals that are environmentally friendly? You normally keep your journals, so there aren't many "recycling" issues.

You could journal *about* your green life or green ideas. Maybe even keep a special green journal to record the progress you're making?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Hi Lisa,

Lots of the journals I buy are recycled. Though I have some that aren't :P

If I get my Samsung Galaxy Tab for Christmas {{{crossing fingers for a windfall LOL}}} I think I'll start keeping my journal on that.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

I
Shark
Shark
I
Well, for now, I am keeping my journal volumes on a flash drive (oh, yeah, and backed up for sure!) and NOT printing it out. I'm sure somewhere a tree is sighing in relief.

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
Survivors of Nearly Every Rotten Thing
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I do prefer a journal that either made from recycled materials - and those often look super cool - or i rescue one from a thrift store (which keeps it out of the waste stream).

I also try to use up all the pages in all of mine in some way - even as scratch paper - before moving on to the next notebook. The idea of using what you already have to the best extent is very appealing and green.

So that is three good ideas. Doxi's great idea of using a flash drive is even greener! And Deanna's of a tablet.

I do like the feel of paper and enjoy handwriting, though.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Here are some notepads made with banana fibers and other recycled content - neat idea - banana legal pads

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I am pretty new to journaling, but a book that I reviewed for the Doll Making Site got me hooked. I had an old book that was by an author I really didn't enjoy. I saved it for several years intending to try my hand at making an "altered book." But have turned it into an
Art Journal.

I am enjoying the process a lot and there is no waste by using an old book for something else.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Helen, that is really awesome!

I am planning to make an altered book later this month with my MIL. Her hubby will be gone for a week, and we will have sleepovers and work on reusing her craft scraps and old bound books as a sort of spiritual project.

R
Amoeba
Amoeba
R
I buy those journals with recycled paper covers. They also come with "green" quotes and notes on their pages. The covers also come in lovely designs. You's never thought they're recycled papers. Cool.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That sounds lovely, Rodav.

I love the look and feel of handmade/recycled papers.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I've been using a handmade journal for a few months now and I have to say that I'm not sure I'll buy another. The paper is hard to write on - the ink doesn't flow. I do want to read my journals later on and this isn't in essence serving its purpose. Maybe there are other handmade ones that are better. This one was touted as extremely eco-friendly and supporting local cultures, but I do also need it to do its journal job properly.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I bet there are tons to choose from. There's bound to be (no pun intended) a journal that is green and allows for smooth writing.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I'm about halfway through my handmade journal so it'll be a little while before I can move on to the next one. I'll definitely be looking at other options!

Low Carb Forum
Gecko
Gecko
I have been using a recycled journal lately. It's made of crepe paper and looks really fancy. it's of a light blue color and I love it totally!

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
We've been talking about green journals, but have not yet mentioned the pens! lol.

As far as writing tools, I like what Lisa did for the most recent bellaonline gathering - she gave out pen/pencil sets made of sustainably harvested rosewood.

If one can remember to buy refills, then that is probably the greenest way to have a writing utensil, yes?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am trying another eco-friendly journal and again the paper just isn't easy to write on. I'll have to post photos of them to show what they're like. There must be some sort of middle ground where they're good to write on.

Definitely refilling pens vs buying new ones seems the eco way to go!

Low Carb Forum
I
Shark
Shark
I
Fountain pens, if you refill them from a bottle, are most assuredly the "greenest" as you don't have a refill to dispose of. Too bad some company doesn't come up with a way to refill ballpoint and/or rollerball refills! You would send them in and get them back good to go!

Dang, wish I was rich enough to start a company.

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
I
I
I have made some books using old greeting cards as covers. Actually they are more like booklets than books. The paper was just normal photocopy paper, although if you look a lot of photocopy paper is made with recycled content. Not every card works for this. I do not want a book that says Merry Christmas or Happy Birthday on it. Sometimes you might get an all occasion notecard that does not have a specific holiday or occasion on it. Also keep a look out for holiday cards that do not look too holiday. For example some Christmas cards have a generic winter picture, like animals playing in the snow or snow covered trees with no words on the outside.

I
Shark
Shark
I
Since I keep my journal on my computer now because writing is painful for me- especially when I get wordy- I guess I can say it's kindasorta green, as I keep it on a flash drive and never print it out.

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.