logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#636551 10/14/10 01:57 PM
J
OP Offline
J
As promised in my post, here are some of my tips and tricks of packing for that upcoming trip, whether it is a long weekend away or a multi-week international adventure. Many of these tips you may already know. Some may sound silly, but this is what I have learned works for me. I am going to use my upcoming trip to Norway as an example, since I�fll need to bring a variety of clothing for questionable weather conditions. (And because Norway is notoriously expensive, and I DO NOT want to have to purchase anything that I already own).

First and foremost, get everything into a carry-on sized piece of luggage or backpack. With all of the airlines charging new fees for checking bags (and some even charging for carry-ons), you�fll be doing yourself a big favor to keep your belongings with you.

I use a medium-sized compression sack for my bulky items. For this trip, I have my Gortex rain parka, breathable lightweight sporting jacket (for cooler temps), and wool socks compressed into a neat 7�� x 3�� package. Since I won�ft be wearing those items immediately, they are crammed into the bottom of my daypack.

My 3 pairs of pants are tightly rolled. I have one pair of zip-offs, 1 pair of long hiking pants and 1 pair of comfy lightweight cargos. 2 wick-dri shirts and a cute lightweight button-down, plus a silk turtleneck are the tops I�fve rolled up, and in the empty spaces I have crammed my undies and a pair of LL Bean Mary Janes that are great light-hikers/street shoes. I will wear my bulkier hiking boots on the plane, then change out of them and put them in overhead once we�fre in the air.

I bought a tiny travel umbrellla at Target (my favorite store) on sale for $3.00 in prep for the rain I expect. I also have a waterproof sun hat, along with a cute little cap for bad-hair days. A large scarf that can double as a blanket on the plane will protect me from the cooties on the plane-issued blankets, plus the fact that some airlines are now charging for them. An inflatable neck pillow will come in handy on the plane as well as long bus trips. An now that TSA only allows a quart-sized baggie to hold all your liquids (in no larger than 3-oz bottles), I went to the package store and purchased 2 little bottles of vodka, thus saving another $7.00 a pop. I�fll put those in w/ my little shampoo and Castile soap, which doubles as body wash and laundry soap.

Of course, don't forget your camera. And an extra battery! Take your battery charger along with a power adaptor if you are traveling to a country with different outlets.

Last but certainly not least, I have packed Willy and the Boyz, my trusted travel mascot that we purchased from an artisan shop in New Zealand about 15 years ago. Willy et.al. has traveled with us on every trip we have taken, and I consider him my ambassador of good will. (He is featured in an anthology that will be coming out later this year!)

All of that , plus a few extra�fs (gum, coughdrops, book, trail mix�c) fits neatly in my daypack, adhering to the USAir size limitations of 14�� x 9�� x 22��. Pretty good, if I may say so myself!

So pack light, pack smart, and Happy Travels, everybody! I�fll report back on my Norway trip upon my return.
Do you have packing tips to add to my suggestions? Help your fellow traveler and please SHARE! Thanks!

Julie Emrich Fredrick
European Travel
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Enjoy Norway Julie and it will be great to hear about it on your return. These tips are great as I know I have a tendency to overpack and take more than I need/use with me, whether it be for a day or several months...

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks, Asha. Working on that Norway story now!

Julie Emrich Fredrick
European Travel

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.