Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
We got home yesterday afternoon and I'm still reeling, the drum still beating in my ears! It was AWESOME!!! I don't even know where to start so this will probably be in several posts and I hope to get some pictures on-line this week.

Grandfather blessed us with the best possible weather, warm days and cool nights. We arrived last Sunday afternoon. So many of our friends were already there and what wonderful fellowship. I did manage to get my husband's ribbon shirt completed while helping man the Tribal booth. For some reason, I was compelled to complete each layer of the design with one piece of ribbon. After 3 layers of ribbon, I let out a holler with the final cut on the ribbon, and spooked vendors in several booths. The Chief, Poppa Martin came by our camp and I asked him about the Navy pins. He's a Navy vet too, and said "put this one here, and that one there." Permission granted!

We were truly blessed with SO many vets in attendance, including FIVE WWII Veterans. We also got to meet Morning Dove (Bella member) and her husband on Saturday before Grand Entry. That was such a nice treat! Our husbands have the same first name, and we'll have to get together in the Spring. Many connections popped up in our brief conversation.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
We are very fortunate the Vice Chief has shared some of the history of this band, which has so kindly (unofficially) adopted my husband and me.

People from many nations fled to the South Georgia/Florida area during expansion conflicts and wars. Although the core group are Cherokee, they also have members who intermarried of Creek and other tribal heritage. The Vice Chief is a descendant of Osceola. Between our friends, we have learned some of the similarities between Cherokee and Creek. One of these is the Stomp Dance. Thursday, our friend, a Muskogee Creek Elder surprised us with a visit at the Pow-wow, just in time to join us for the Stomp Dance. He was very impressed with the young man calling the dance for his 1st time. The Tribal Firekeeper had officiated the Stomp for many years, and he walked on this year. His young apprentice did a fantastic job and invited our friend to return on Friday to tell some stories, during the dance break.

After the Stomp Friday night, our friend returned to our camp and we stayed up until 3am with him sharing crazy Desert Storm stories (He doesn't talk about Nam). A little before 3am we heard the drum and singing, but couldn't tell where it was coming from. Our friend left for home, but the drum continued for almost 2 hours, and with the echoes, it sounded like it was moving all around the Tribal Grounds. At one time, it was in the parking lot, right in front of our camper. Our neighbor got up and went outside, but no one was there. Almost everyone I asked also heard it, but not one knew where it was.

I'm not sure how something can simultaneously be both spooky and soothing. Drifting off to sleep in the wee hours of the morning as the drummers and singers floated around the Tribal Grounds was. It felt like a private ceremony and dance was being held. I so enjoy ghost hunting, but would not even consider interrupting something like that. It was an honor just to hear it.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Grand Entry on Saturday was nothing short of Spectacular and rivalled my experience at the first pow-wow I attended many years ago.

Boy Scouts placed the flags of all 50 states to form an avenue entrance to the East Gate of the Dance Circle. Torches were lit and the lights were turned off. The Chief, his wife, and several generations of their family entered, were introduced and honored with blankets. The theme for the 30th Anniversary was Past, Present, Future. Masked dancers, representing each of the 7 Cherokee clans entered the Circle one at a time and stood around the drum arbor as the clan system was described. Their masks illuminated by torch light. The Drum was played as it was carried in. The first time I've ever seen that!

There were so many veterans and dancers, Grand Entry filled the Dance Circle. The crowd was HUGE and very respectful. Poppa Martin did allow photography. One of the Tribal Members recently deployed to Afghanistan, and his Father asked me to take pictures to send him. So I was snapping away the whole time and did manage to get some good shots even in low light. The whole thing was video taped and I'm hoping to get a DVD as soon as they are available.

I won't be able to post the photos I received specific permission for, but have some others I can share. One Apache guest offered to trade a picture for my squash blossom necklace. I told him it was a gift from my husband who was in the Warrior/Veteran line and I would have to run that by HIM. He was joking (perhaps), but I think my response surprised him a bit. I was allowed the photo.

The opening ceremony and Grand Entry lasted almost 2 hours. After that, the lights were turned on and we had a great time dancing until almost midnight. The Midnight Auction was so much fun. It's most definitely a PG-13 event. We laughed until our sides hurt, and came home with a small drum and stand to use in teaching for my Tribe.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
We have been so blessed with acceptance by the Cherokee of Georgia. My husband was welcomed with open hearts by the Veterans and I was welcomed into the kitchen staff. Some would consider that a chore. Yes, it's hard work, but a high honor to assist with preparing and serving food for the Tribe and guests.

Over the years, we have donated things for the general raffle, and auction. But with the 30th Anniversary, I felt very strongly the need to have our own little "Give Away," to honor our friends who have shared so much with us. The Give Away is one of the few Native American traditions I grew up with, but not knowing its origin.

We arrived with food to feed the camp Monday night. It worked out well. The new Clan Mother had to go into town that day, and with supper covered, didn't have to rush back. Monday, after lunch, Poppa Martin scared me half to death, announcing to EVERYONE I was in charge of the kitchen for supper. YIKES! My husband was in the prep room helping with the salad and I was praying the 5 lasagnas I had pre-made on Saturday would be enough for everyone and the hummingbird cakes would come out OK baking in an oven I have never used before. Everything was well planned and timed, but I was a nervous wreck! I continued praying as I dished out lasagna, terrified with the realization, I had to eat last. I couldn't even taste test until everyone was served.

If one makes lasagna to serve at a Pow-wow and is accused of being Italian after the meal, it's safe to assume it was good. We ended up with enough for Tuesday, which further helped out Clan Mother.

I had other personal give aways and made time for them somewhat privately. It was odd. We packed quickly Sunday morning and I had grabbed things, not even knowing why. But as we unpacked, and organized that evening, I realized who those items were for. It constantly amazes me how it works out like that. When we accept the Sacred Circle, all the little circles jump out at us, and the big ones are all the more special.

Yesterday afternoon, we made our way to the kitchen for the final round of hugs. Momma Martin was still commenting on the Lasagna (wouldn't let me pay for my frybread either). At some point during the week, I was talking with the Vice Chief's wife about names. I told her I didn't have mine yet. She advised me NOT to ask Momma Martin for one as it might be "Lasagna Woman."

We had hugged everyone at least once, and were leaving the kitchen when Poppa asked me about taking something to the Navy Base for him. I didn't know what he was talking about, but followed dutifully. He led my husband and me to the raffle booth and when we were inside, he wrapped a quilt around my shoulders. That's one Big, Special Circle!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I am soooo wishing I could have been there to see it all. How awesome it must have been. Thank you so much, lcp, for sharing this with us.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.