Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#635629 10/08/10 08:55 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
What do you do if your yoga class gets crowded? Ours is about at its limit. Should she close the door at a certain point and not let more people in? Take reservations and the first 13 get into the class? I don't think the gym has a larger room available to put us into.

Maybe the teacher just changes to only doing poses that have you fit perfectly on your own mat area?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
yeah i'd squeeze people in and adjust the poses. Everyone should have a chance to play. smile

J
Koala
Koala
J
I take yoga at the local Y and at some times of the year, the class is packed. However, only so many mats can fit so the best option for me is arriving early to get a good spot.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Definitely if we get say more than 14 people there is simply not any more room for the mats. So you have to do something then.

This past time we were near our limit and this woman was trying to squeeze in, and the male next to me was just NOT getting it. I finally had to ask him gently to move his mat so that she could fit. He did move at that point.

But interestingly a few weeks ago we had a similar problem and once again it was a male who was not moving. The rest of us all had to slide around to make it fit. These are the only 2 guys we've ever had in the classroom. Maybe they're not quite as aware about sharing? I am baffled that it's the 2 guys we've had this problem with.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I know this might be a little untrue for many people, but i think men are naturally more competitive and women more cooperative, just by nature of testosterone.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Human Tetris anyone?

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Also many of my fellow males have very poor noticing and interpersonal skills!

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I wonder too if the guys felt really uncomfortable about being in a "woman's class" so they were trying to hide and not look at people and therefore didn't even realize what was going on. I.e. they were trying to stay quiet and "look inside". So that's also an option.

But it did strike me after months of classes that the only 2 times we've had an issue was once with each of our only 2 guys.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
You have to remember that men and women are hardwired completely differently from hormones to neural net. Plus of course the cultural input, men tend to turn inwards when doing things and are less aware of the outside world -in Europe and the US at least . Speaking as the only man at a bellydancing class before now I was surprised at the comment by the more experienced practitioners that I had a level of spatial awareness that they didn't expect from a man. I put it down to my martial arts training

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
Elephant
Elephant
So I guess this makes me a dude then? I don't like being all crowded and if somebody is trying to find a space and I don't feel like moving because I'm already as close to the person next to me as I feel I need to be then I won't move. Sorry but first come first serve. Find another spot not next to me : )

I guess this is probably why I stopped going to the first studio where I used to practice. I didn't want to feel people especially guys breathing on me when I was practicing, know what I'm saying : ) Ewe! I've had this happen and it's gross and completely disrupted my concentration.

Most guys aren't as aware as Ian and I think most women are too willing to share their personal space. I'm all about boundaries these days and it totally works for me.

Last edited by ExerciseEditor; 11/22/10 09:29 AM.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I have as much room as i like working my yoga at home with my own space, props and goodies. That option is always available to me.

So I say in a class situation, squeeze them all in! Maybe more people will get into yoga that way. One thing i was afraid of with yoga at first was that it felt a little elitist if you were a newbie. It all felt so serious! I did lots of work with dvd's until i felt like i could even try a class and keep up. smile

I don't like being crowded either, but if it bothered me enough i'd find less crowded times to work out, or find a different gym that was less populated.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Culturally speaking people in the US usually require the most amount of personal space in a shared area. Middle Eastern countries much less, along with China and Japan. At diplomatic parties I have watched people from the Middle East literally chase people from the US all around the room as each tried to adjust the interpersonal distance to a comfortable one!

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I agree that I don't like to be crowded. On the other hand, in a straightforward matter of logistics, let's say six people are in a room. Now say a seventh person comes in, and it's still well within the pre-class time. So they're not "late" at all, they're quite on time. That seventh person has to go somewhere. There are two options.

One, the class can adjust as a whole so that there is now room for seventh person. Everyone has an equal amount of space, and everyone shares in what the room can hold.

Two, let's say the people refuse to move, meaning the new person simply wedges their mat into whatever space they can. This means whoever they are next to are *seriously* impacted. Now it would be the luck of the draw if a given student was not impacted or seriously impacted. It could be any person who had that serious impact inflicted on them.

Long term, it would seem in everyone's best interest - since over time everyone would have that serious impact hit them a few times - to instead adjust to the class size each time.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, I guess we can agree to disagree! smile

I do understand your frustration, though. Crowds make me anxious. I like a lot of space. I do see that as my own issue - something I need to work around personally, rather than needing the class itself to make a global solution.

Last edited by Jilly; 11/26/10 05:23 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Ian, that is a cool insight. I love hearing about cultural psychological differences! I have to wonder about the space issue in the US - we are a pretty spread out country with a lot of room. We don't have extended families sharing roofs (usually). We consider it important to all have our own bedrooms and offices and often value individuality over community. Hmmm.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jilly -

I think we do agree? Aren't we both saying that we should squeeze in whoever comes to a class, and do our best to make them fit?

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
So - back to human tetris then?

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
G
G
may be but i am not sure!

Amoeba
Amoeba
This is an interesting line of conversation. Everyone has great ideas about what can be done! Ian, I've seen the differences in personal space requirements in action when I studied Arabic at the Defense Language Institute. It was the first time I'd ever encountered the need to be ok with someone in my "comfort zone". Not easy for a shy 20 year old, for sure!

Jilly and Lisa, I think you're both expressing the same idea just in different ways. I agree that the more students that can be present the better, simply because of the impact that taking a yoga class can have for people. Where I teach there are occupant limits for each yoga room. There is also a policy in place that prevents people from coming into class after it has begun or if room has reached its occupant limit. In regards to the spacing of mats, I assess the room before I begin teaching and I'll have the students adjust themselves so that everyone has space to move and the layout in the room is more or less even. I believe it's both the responsibility and the prerogative of the teacher to arrange the students so that everyone can comfortably practice.

Of course, if the teacher doesn't take that on, you could always request the person crowding you to move so that you don't land on them if you accidentally fall out of your hand stand smile

Deborah Mauldin, RYT
Power Yoga Instructor
BellaOnline.com Yoga Editor

"If you desire a glorious future, transform the present. There is actually no other choice." -Patanjali
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/13/24 08:03 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/10/24 08:39 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/06/24 02:11 PM
Curiosity and Learning
by Angie - 04/06/24 09:56 AM
Easy to Sew Pillowcases
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/03/24 04:38 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/31/24 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.